Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 00:19   #46

Re: Buying a Yacht in Australia

Would it be possible to buy a cheap one-way fare over, and a flexible re-fundable return ticket (since you need to be able to change return date)?

On other thing - the normal visa-waiver entry program applies to commercial airline/ship entry and exit only Do you need to get a B1/B2 visa to enable clearing and exit USA in a private vessel?
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:40   #47

Boat: Able 50

Aw come on you guys ! How about a little accuracy ?

6 September 2011 Sydney - New York All AUD

United one way - $2233.07
round trip - $1857.04

Qantas one way - $2509 - $2911
round trip - $1679 - $2233

Delta one way - $1751.87
round trip - $1848.74
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:38   #48

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: CSY 44 on First Appearances

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I had a look at the CSY.

Regardless, the living plan might not suit everyone. Unlike some other centre cockpit boats like the Morgan 44 there is no companionway under the cockpit to the aft cabin. Instead there is a hatch at each end of the cockpit leading to the fore and aft cabins. The bonus of this is that it had a BIG engine room right in the centre of the boat that would be a joy to work in any conditions. .
The more I think about this feature the better a boat I feel it would be if you had older kids and guests on-board. At least you would still have your own space?
Old 18-07-2011, 04:02   #49

shane,
thanks for that. bit of a funny set up not being able to get in touch with the broker and it being left open, but easy to have a look around though.

sounds like a decent cruiser and could be one to keep in mind. pretty well laid out inventory online as well. the high sides are something i thought of looking at similar yachts, but it seems that alot of the older cuisers are set up this way. i think it would be something you could work around, just have to figure out the best way.
had a look at a hans christian that a friend of a friend owned and was pretty impressed, looked to be a solid boat and was really fond of the roomy set up inside, thats good if this reminded you of one.

i had a look at the valiant 40' that i gave the link for. also a pretty solid looking cruising boat and roomy and fairly well set up inside. it lacked a few things i would be after, like an indoor shower and hot water, and there would be a few other things to get it up to what i want. the engine possibly could be up for a rebuild soon, just looking at the hours, but looked like a good solid cruising yacht and not far from what im after. still gonna look around though, not rushing into anything. think the price was a bit high too, but im sure that could be negotiated down a bit.

just went for a cruise on a cav 395 and i was amazed at how much difference there is in the interior space on those, well laid out but feels tiny. guess not all 40 footers are the same.

still looking, and still researching, both here and overseas.
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 04:08   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Cav 395 are an excellent sailing boat, perform well and great rep as strong cruisers
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 04:14   #51

it was a great boat and a great cruise, sailed really well and found it really responsive and a good set up. i just think that for me im looking for something with a bit more room inside.
Old 18-07-2011, 04:17   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Ah - a cat it is then
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 00:43   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
shane,
thanks for that. bit of a funny set up not being able to get in touch with the broker and it being left open, but easy to have a look around though.

sounds like a decent cruiser and could be one to keep in mind.....,,,,,
Who knows; he still has not returned my call!

It is definitely set up so it would be nice to walk around the fore deck and up the bow sprit. As above, the trade-off is that you have not got the lower aft swimming platform, but do have a big aft stateroom with a good sized shower/head.

Likewise, it is all-round a nice boat. If you could make the cabin setup work for you it would be an especially good live aboard long-distance cruiser. .
Old 01-08-2011, 05:34   #54

hey, ive been looking at some of the sites in asia and they look like a pretty good option.there are a few over there and the prices look better than here in oz. came across this, anyone know much about these toscas and what do you think?

http://phuket.boatshed.com/tosca__39-boat-120455.html

also came across the hans christian, had a look at one of these that was in the same anchorage as a yacht i was on and was pretty impressed by it. opinions on these?

Hans Christian 38T Traditional
Old 02-08-2011, 00:21   #55

Hi guys, my first post here and just signed up because this thread is relevant to what im doing at the moment.

Im actually in Malaysia at the moment having just seen one of the boats that boatshed has on their site.

Could anyone tell me if there is any advantage/problem to having the signed over back in Australia. This way we wont pay taxes on the delivery component.

Also if I registered it in Malaysia how long can I leave it in Australia before having to register it there and pay taxes etc and can I book a msb mooring in NSW if its Malaysian registered.

Shane
shanet356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 00:55   #56

hey,
continuing ny research and learning allot along the way. been looking at different boats and spending my time off work sailing on a few different set ups to see what will work best for me.

factor, last trip i did was on a cat, it threw a bit of a spanner in the works the for a bit as i certainly did enjoy it, the sailing at the space. one thing i am trying to keep in mind though is not over stretching myself and my budget and how much i want to spend. looking at whats available i would have to up my budget significantly to get a cat and after a bit of thinking it over i think im gonna keep it simple and inline with my original budget and maybe go for a slightly bigger mono, around 45 foot.

i have come across a few amel maramus online and wondering if anyone has any info on these?

shane, looks like that csy 44 is still available, has your mate or yourself been able to get in touch with the broker to have another look?
Old 02-10-2011, 00:59   #57

actually just had another look online and that csy sold. guess some one got in touch with the broker
Old 02-10-2011, 13:29   #58

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanet356 View Post
Hi guys, my first post here and just signed up because this thread is relevant to what im doing at the moment.

Im actually in Malaysia at the moment having just seen one of the boats that boatshed has on their site.

Could anyone tell me if there is any advantage/problem to having the signed over back in Australia. This way we wont pay taxes on the delivery component.

Also if I registered it in Malaysia how long can I leave it in Australia before having to register it there and pay taxes etc and can I book a msb mooring in NSW if its Malaysian registered.

Shane
You only pay tax on the delivery component from the last port before entry, and you will pay tax regardless of where change regos if you are permanently importing the boat.
You will have to register the boat in NSW to put it on a NSW mooring, don't see why you can't leave the Malaysian registration except that you will have to have the boat registered as a ship with a "flag".
See the "importing a boat to Australia" thread for more info on that.
Don't try and get too clever with the Australian Authorities they are very reasonable people but if the smell a rat they can make life very difficult for you.
Also be aware that they can read this forum just like everybody else.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 00:40   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
actually just had another look online and that csy sold. guess some one got in touch with the broker
I am a bit envious as it was really the kind of boat I like. Never know though, by the time I am seriously ready to update it might be back on the market again or something even nicer might come along? Hopefully you will have the same luck.
Old 18-10-2011, 05:26   #60

as i continue my search and come across so many boats that are possibly worth having a look at i am trying to figure out if it would be better to approach a broker and weighing up the pros and cons of this. just wondering what the thoughts are on this and if anyone knows any good brokers around the gold coast area that they would recommend?

Tags
Australia, buying, yacht, australia