Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 17:31   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
As promised, here's an update on the shipping/handling question raised by Norm: The Lulu website default shipping choice is via UPS, and the cost is, indeed, $10. However, that is not your only choice, and, as marty9876 posted, the US Postal Service charge to ship the book is $3.95.

My admiration for Pat and Ali Schulte is already well-established,
Thanks for that.

Mine too!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 22:53   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've continued to follow the travel adventures of Pat and Ali Schulte, even as they sold their catamaran Bumfuzzle and opted to cruise the world's land masses via a 1958 split-window VW van (the "new" Bumfuzzle). In their latest update from high in the Peruvian Andes, they have put up another compilation video from their time afloat (fall 2003 to spring 2007).

To view the video compilations, open the main page at bumfuzzle.com then click on adventure chronicles in the top-line menu. Down the right side of the next page you will see recent videos they've put up on their excellent site. Sailing compilation 2/4 is at the top, but I recommend that you scroll down to sailing compilation 1/4 and watch it first.

That first compilation covers the first half of their circumnavigation (US to NZ), and the second covers NZ to Oman via SE Asia. Just a few minutes long and all set to music. Good stuff.

And so the Bums' adventure continues, and once you check out their compelling website I think you'll become a fan, too. There is something altogether refreshing about a couple of appealing young travellers "off to see the world" and kind enough to share their experiences with the rest of us in word and picture.

TaoJones
Old 16-02-2010, 21:03   #33

Boat: 28' Oday monohull Deja Vu
Hello. This is my first post to this site, as I just joined tonight. Fact is, this is my first blog entry to anything...But I felt compelled to join this site after reading Bumfuzzle and learning of this site. I have dreamed of Sailing around the world for a while now after buying my first sailboat 4 years ago. In that spirit, I have just completed my first book about circumnavigating. I too wish Pat and Ali well, but quite honestly found their book to be one of the most arrogant self-centered writings I've ever read. I read the disclaimer before joining this site and do not wish to violate any rules here, so suffice to say that I found myself wanting to avoid people like them when I do embark upon my trip around the world. There is nothing wrong with being prepared, and since my plans are to start my trip when I am 55....there is nothing wrong with being "older" when you do. Once again...their arrogance was astounding to me and made it difficult to finish the book. I hope my next book is better.
Dennis Eck
dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 23:13   #34

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard Dennis

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 00:16   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Dennis.
I haven't read the book or followed their travels so cant comment on it but I can say that arrogant or not, the "just get out there and do it" attitude is one some people will find encouraging.
We get lots of folks asking "what does it take" or "how much experience do I need".
This may help to answer some of those questions for a particulate type of person.
Where do you sail in Oklahoma?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 00:57   #36

Thankyou Stillraining and James.....really enjoying this site...can't pull myself away. Learning alot about cruising. Have been really entertained by the blogs about mono vs multi. Haven't made that decision yet. My main concern is safety and never sailing a cat before I have a hard time understanding what keeps them from tipping over because I've had my rails....and a lot more in the water before and can't imagine a cat handling that. Probably not the best place to ask this question, maybe I should ask it in one of the mono vs multi blogs, and it's probably a really dumb question, but couldn't you just right a capsized cat with a good dinghy and a powerful outboard? Anyway James, I sail on Lake Eufaula. It was the largest manmade lake in the world until they built that one in Japan. I've heard it has over three thousand miles of shoreline, but my access to alot of the areas are limited because of bridges.
take care, and happy sailing
Dennis
Old 17-02-2010, 08:34   #37

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
My wife & I read this book, I'm really glad we did. It's true that they were unprepared and they could have done many things better, but they did it. Most people don't even have the balls to dream of sailing around the world much less actually do it, but they did it.
Many people have their boat already and they have the money but they aren't willing to sacrifice their career or they're just too afraid to even leave the dock.
If all of us listened to all of the "can't do it without" advice available on the internet, not a single one of us would ever leave the dock.
They have motivated our family to make steps in the right direction because Pat & Ali did it and they didn't even know how to sail, navigate, or even maintain the systems on the boat when they left and they made it.
I can sail, my wife can navigate and either of us are equipped to maintain or even rebuild any of the systems on the boat.
We can do it but we didn't think we were prepared before this book. Our getting ready list included absolute perfection on all points, an impossible goal, as impossible as pleasing every armchair sailor on the internet.
Thanks Pat & Ali for the inspiration!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 12:18   #38

Thankyou for the input sww914. I think that you have probably taken offense in areas that were never mentioned in my comment about their book though. I never said that they didn't give good insight, inspiration and some good info about circumnavigating.
I commented on my take on the general attitude in the book regarding his personality. It was just ugly to me. I learned several things about what to look out for in his book, and that is why I read it. I did not read the book for inspiration, or to motivate me to embark on something that I had not made up my mind that I had the courage to do. I have the goal to do this, and if it turns out to be like the rest of the goals I've set for myself in life, there is no doubt...I will succeed. If people need the motivation to leave port and actually embark on this journey, then I suppose the book was a resounding success.....I didn't.
Just as in the book, you refer to the constant barrage of advice against the trip keeping most people at home. I do not look at this "advise" as a deterrent, but rather helpful info as to what to expect, what to look out for and things to avoid to make the odds better for a successful trip. That is why I read the book...that is why I am looking for the next helpful read. I just can't get in tune with Pat's incessant berratement of "cruisers" in the book. It was absolutely nonstop. It became so very tiring reading about how he hated talking to them, how old they were, how ridiculous it was that they cooked onboard, or how prepared they were.
As I read, I was thinking how nice it would have been to be halfway around the world and meet someone that was doing the same as me, and how great it would be to get their input. I am a very outgoing friendly person, and would be one of those cruisers that came up to him and ask "how long have you been out?" I would ask out of geniune interest and hope to have some great commardery with a fellow sailor....not to be arrogant or boastful of my journeys as Pat always took such an approach to mean.
There are other areas of Pat's personality that don't set well with me too, and I'm not sure how long a person is supposed to ramble on in these entries, but I will touch on one. He always seemed to be out the get the most for as little as he could. I didn't read anywhere in his book where he had given someone in these third world countries something that would really help them. In my meager travels, I tend to find a local to help me much like he does, and at the end of my time with them I always reward them very handsomely because to me, that's part of what being American and more fortunate is all about. They will always resist you giving them so much, as it seems like so much to them, and they were just being who they are....helpful and friendly. But you have to find a way to do it so as not to embarrass them and insist they take it....just like they insisted you come into their homes to help you. Pat just seemed to take and take from people, and while showing appreciation, never give back what he had the ability to.
One more thing...isn't it ironic that this is my 4th blog entry in a lifetime, and I'm being called an armchair sailor from someone who has 97 blogs under their belt. Sounds as if you are as ready to judge me as Pat is cruisers.
Dennis
Old 17-02-2010, 12:40   #39

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I didn't mean to refer to you at all nor did I intend to insult you. I agree with all of your points regarding their book, he was too much for me, too.
I have seen in print and on other threads some pretty heavy criticism of them for doing things the way they did and I was referring to people in general, not you specifically or any other person specifically.
I simply intended to say something positive about them, maybe I'm the only one.
I agree with you wholeheartedly about his attitude towards other cruisers. They're not any worse than any other group of people and probably better than most.
If he wants to go around looking for people who irritate him he won't need to go too far I suspect.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 15:42   #40

Thankyou for your response sww914, and you are very right that indeed both Pat and Ali deserve high respect for their accomplishment. They certainly have mine as to the ability to spend a 25 day passage across the Atlantic without thowing each other overboard! That alone, ignoring the rest is reason to admire them. As to the other threads that expressed criticism of them, I actually haven't seen those...this book was my first experience with them, and can say that I am thrilled to find out about this blog through that book. It is a wealth of just the kind of info I am looking for.
Dennis
Old 18-02-2010, 00:10   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Its so nice to see how big you both are and how we can resolve misunderstandings with out it always turning into a pissing contest...thanks guys...hats off to the both of you!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 05:01   #42

Boat: Leopard 46
I agree with James S ... it is refreshing to see a discussion that doesn't degrade into the proverbial "pissing contest" with all the vitriol that many of these threads contain.

I have been browsing the various threads on here for about 2 years and have found an amazing amount of information that helps with me and my families plans. I will definitely read the Schulte's book and pull the lessons and motiviations that work for me from it. That includes learning the lessons (both for sailing and life) that I want to immulate as well as those that I want to avoid. We (me, my wife and 3 young chidren) are on year 3 of a ten year plan that will hopefully get us asea for a year or two. This works better for me, making a plan and executing to the best of my ability. The lessons I have already gotten from the Schulte's blog is that eventually you do have to throw the dock lines and point to bows (plural in my case ... the mono vs multi decision has already been made ... but that is for another post in a another thread) to the horizon. I have a great deal of respect for the Nike slogan and those that can "just do it". We all have to find our own path that supports what we want to do and is best for ourselves and families. I am always surprised reading the threads that imply there is only one "best" way to do anything ... my experiences so far have shown that to rarely be the case.

Good luck, happy sailing, and fair winds!
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote