Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 10:13   #31

Re: Would you arrange a survey without being there (re: borders are closed)?

A recognised surveyor would probably not appreciate your company whilst he is working. The outcome will be the same
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:14   #32

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

As you probably know, surveyors are not infallible and can make mistakes and oversights regardless of how good you think they are - no one hires a surveyor they don’t trust but the sailing world is still full of horror stories about bad surveys.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:17   #33

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If it's the right boat for you at what you believe is the right price, have the survey done. Explain your concerns to the surveyor and ask him to call you during the survey if he finds anything that he really thinks he needs to discuss with your prior to writing his report. Assuming you close, once you can get down to Florida, you can always hire the same surveyor to come back and essentially "re-survey" your boat as a teaching experience for you. He's likely to charge significantly less since he already has done the survey once and won't have to write another report, just answer your on-site questions, show you how the systems that aren't intuitive work, etc. Yeah, it might cost you another $500 or so, but that's nickels and dimes compared to what you're spending on the boat (and will spend in the future!).
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:20   #34

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Lots of recent stuff on that boat. Standing rigging, bottom job, mainsail (2016) pactor modem, SSB, inverter, charger, rudder seals, dyneema etc. The mainsail is the oldest of these.https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/85195
Old 26-03-2020, 10:49   #35

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRide View Post
As first time buyers, I believe that being there for the survey represents a huge learning opportunity for me.

Many years ago when I was buying a house I walked around with the inspector who dictated his report into a cassette recorder (I said it was a while ago), including various tips and recommendations. At the end he popped out the cassette and handed it to me.

In this age, perhaps you could ask the surveyor to record his inspection, maybe even a GoPro on a chest strap or headband, so at least you would see what he saw, with audio commentary. As AT&T used to advertise long distance, "it's the next best thing to being there."
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 11:01   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
A recognised surveyor would probably not appreciate your company whilst he is working. The outcome will be the same
As a retired SAMS Accredited Surveyor ..... You should not hire a surveyor who does not welcome your presence.
Old 26-03-2020, 11:03   #37

Boat: 40' Leopard

Postpone the buy . never get in a hurry to buy a sail boat .
Even an experienced surveyor can miss something you could catch . The miss could cost you thousands later.
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 11:04   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
As you probably know, surveyors are not infallible and can make mistakes and oversights regardless of how good you think they are - no one hires a surveyor they don’t trust but the sailing world is still full of horror stories about bad surveys.
Sad but true. The majority of surveyors are not very good. One should put as much time into investigating the surveyor as one invests in finding the boat.
Old 26-03-2020, 12:56   #39

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRide View Post
Thanks everyone for all the rational advice. It’s all good advice and I think we’ll be postponing our offer at this time.

White sands and palm-lined beaches will have to wait.

See you out there some day!
Yep, probably a good time to keep your powder dry. This is not the last Cat on earth (even if somebody snags it before you can get there)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 13:00   #40

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I’d agree with postponing certainly, unless you halve your offer.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 15:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Go ahead and get the survey. I did not attend the survey on my current sailboat. However, the broker attended the survey in my absence. So I would ask the broker to attend since you cannot attend. If the broker cannot attend I would still go ahead with the survey.
Yikes! To my sensibility, wrong on so many levels! Are we being punked here?
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 15:30   #42
Marine Service Provider

Sorry about the length but this is the most detailed, precise and useful info I've see. Why can't the governments and so-called "expert" produce something like this?

This from my son who is holed up on his boat somewhere in Mexico.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (Mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.
* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).
By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahrenheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.
* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.
* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.
* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only: between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper and wood), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and -72 hours (plastic).
But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.
* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.
They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.
* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
* You have to moisturize dry hands from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.
* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 16:00   #43

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Sorry about the length but this is the most detailed, precise and useful info I've see. Why can't the governments and so-called "expert" produce something like this?

This from my son who is holed up on his boat somewhere in Mexico.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (Mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).

By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahrenheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only: between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper and wood), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and -72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.

They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to moisturize dry hands from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

Interesting but..... what does this has to do with the subject of this thread?
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 16:15   #44

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So have you actually seen the boat firsthand? Have you seen other people’s boats with an eye to what looks worn? I ask as I’m wondering how familiar you are with looking at boats and this one in particular regarding wear and tear. Personally I think you should wait but the above answers will help you determine how much you are willing to wait.
Old 26-03-2020, 20:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
As long as you allow him to do his job...I could care less if he appreciates it. He's my employee not the other way around.

Also, two sets of eyes will tend to pick up more than one set of eyes. Also allows you to ask if he thinks an issue is serious or not when he might be hesitant to put it in writing (or more likely the written makes it sound worse than it is) but in conversation, he will give you a better answer.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey