Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2020, 07:53   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Would you arrange a survey without being there (re: borders are closed)?

Skip surveys as the outcome is certainly not what you want and usually not worth the money. Check it yourself and hire a good electrician, mechanic and rigger to check the boat. Same cost but valuable output with the right guys.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:55   #62

Boat: Catalina 320

It was January 2007. I am located in Canada. Prospective boat located in Michigan. Had the same issue - be there or not?. Secondly, I know no surveyors in the local area.

Decision. Go to professional surveyors association website and identify some in local area. Contact two and request copy of their previous work. Select one that I felt comfortable with. Given the distance, time of year, and the fact that this was my second boat and I knew little about them, I didn't see the point in overseeing the work of a professional, so I remained home.

I received a very complete survey. Boat well founded, well maintained, and in better condition for its age. A couple of minor problems plus an impact dent at the rub rail at the location of the head. Surveyor removed the medicine cabinet which gave him access to the hull area to determine there was no issue with the structure. He recommended purchase and I bought the boat and arranged for delivery to Canada sight unseen. I still sail this 2001 Catalina C320.

I have since had an insurance survey done, and I was present for this. A bit nerve wracking as I follow the fellow like a suspicious guard dog. He's tapping the rudder, the sound changes with location and I'm panicking. His response is that the change is normal due to the metal framework in cased in the glass, so don't sweat it. Wait until he's finished. Being present I could ask questions - with the responses generally being reassuring.

So you can get a minor benefit and added piece of mind from being present at the survey. If you have picked a good, professional surveyor your presence isn't necessary. Based on my limited experience I would go ahead and have the survey done even if you can't yourself be there.

Brian
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:57   #63

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
a couple of questions: Why new engines?
I imagine those 28 year old Perkins were worn out by now.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:16   #64

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

You need to be there for the survey, period. You also need to research the model of boat you are purchasing for it’s typical problems and insure these are included in the survey. All surveyors are not equal, nor are they necessarily experienced with the boat in question. You need to make sure all cabinets, bilge spaces, and storage areas are emptied for inspection as most surveyors will not do this. You also want to be there for the sea trial. I think it is also a good idea to have someone familiar with that size and design to go on the sea trial since you are inexperienced.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:46   #65

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

In current circumstances I would do what I could to scuttle the deal in the full expectation of finding a better deal later.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:54   #66

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

Same as @skipmac I'd never buy without being there from the beginning, doing my own pre-survey, attending the professional survey, and personally taking over the boat and the papers. I do a lot of online shopping, but boats wouldn't remotely fall into a matching category for me.

I am sure that when this whole mess is over the boat will still be there as you're not the only one facing the current situation. It would take me wonder if the boat market wouldn't have come to a complete halt now or within the next few days.

Plus, just as rabbi mentioned, there's a good chance that there will be some very urgent bargains when everythning's starting to roll again.
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:07   #67

I’d ask the Seller to afford you a “First right of Refusal” similar to real property potential acquisition.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:13   #68

Note to everyone:

This person has long since decided not to pursue this right now.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:30   #69

I preface this with if you feel lucky and have very deep pockets go ahead and do it.
Otherwise, hiring a surveyor you don't already have personal history with is rolling the dice. So is hiring someone to "be there" for you. Another way to look at it is can you literally flush $10k-50K down the toilet without flinching? This is before you consider the virus, hurricane season and downward price trend happening now.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:08   #70

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Note to everyone:
This person has long since decided not to pursue this right now.
Apologies, this is the first time I saw this thread as it appeared it my biweekly digest.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:52   #71

Boat: Dufour 385

I would and I have. Yes, it is a learning experience, but more importantly is the result of the survey. You can discuss any unclear items with the surveyor as it relates to your purchase choice.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:09   #72

Boat: Tartan 3500
Thumbs up Re: Would you arrange a survey without being there (re: borders are closed)?

I have done this. Buying a boat (Tartan 3500) from Florida and I live in Ontario Canada. ( the air fare saving paid for a 1st. class surveyor and more)

It worked well. No surprises on delivery.

Here are some guide lines;
1. Use a surveyor that a trusted friend has used and recommended.
2. Stay in contact with the surveyor while the survey is in progress
3. Have him send photos of anything he sees as a potential problem
4. Conduct the survey on the hard
5. Have the boat launched and conduct a sea trial under power and sail, if applicable. Have instruments and radio checked etc.

6. Let him know if you have any particular items you might want checked that may not be covered in a "Standard" survey

He will probably do an as good or better survey than is you were there.
Good luck, BobC
SailBobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 16:34   #73

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The OP already said he is just going to wait so all posters should realize that. If this boat was put on the market 6 months ago I think it would have been contracted in the first month. I think it would be a great boat, there's lots to luv there.

Still for sale btw.
Old 03-04-2020, 16:39   #74

Great Advice. Wait it out. We’re in uncharted territory.
philipcardelfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 19:37   #75

I thinks that a couple of good points have been given here.

1. If they really want to sell, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush! If they are smart, they will give you all the time that is necessary to complete the purchase.
It was buyers market before Covid. Now it’s going to be a big time buyers market with all the financial hardship going on and coming up. It they won’t meet your time schedule, let it go. There will be more.

2. Buying a yacht long distance is chancy if you have done it many times before, but doable. As you are new to this game you must be active and involved in the process and a hands on as possible.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey