Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2023, 16:08   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Watermaker Owners: What's your TDS/ppm????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
The "average" reported above implies that there are readings higher and readings lower than the "average", perhaps significantly higher or lower, it doesn't say. It looks like the readings from ours are one of the "Lower" readings . . .

Since you asked, we have a SeaWaterPro 110 vac 40gph (two DOW Filmtec 40" SW30-2540 Reverse Osmosis Membranes). I would highly recommend it.

https://seawaterpro.com/products/110...41104560652448

Purchased and installed in May of 2022.

I may indeed have a "unicorn". My experience with water makers is limited but the readings that I am getting are what I am getting, based on three different type and brand TDS meters, one that came with my unit, and two handheld models of different brands.

I just ordered ANOTHER portable TDS meter, so we'll see if the latest one agrees with the three previous meters, you know, the ones that all read within 2-3 ppm of each other.

Like I stated before, maybe ALL THREE of the meters, of different types, and manufacturer, are ALL coincidentally reading within 2 - 3 ppm of each other, and ALL THREE of them are in error. I suppose it could happen . . . .

The other possibility is that all three TDS meters that are reading within 2 - 3 ppm of each other are . . . . . . well . . . . reading accurately.
Good meters come with test procedures to check calibration. Even my $10 meters come with that.

I have the same membranes, a titanium 3-plunjer pump with 1.5hp motor and also make 40 gph. Last check I got 130ppm but this was in Port Canaveral where there’s brackish water coming from the locks.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 16:40   #32

Re: Watermaker Owners: What's your TDS/ppm????

I have a CruiseRO 30 and see anywhere from 160 to 260 depending on ocean salinity and temperature. I expect the off taste is coming from the tank. The water from the water maker is clean but contaminants can sneak in through the tank vent or from filling at a marina and then grow.

1. Once a year when at a dock give the tank and water tubing a sterilization using bleach. Flush repeatedly to get the bleach taste out.

2. Once a month run the tank dry to get rid of anything growing in the water before it adheres to the tank walls

3 Once every few weeks add a small amount of chlorine (1tsp of bleach per 100 gal of tank to get 1ppm which is a typical municipal water chlorine level. Get a pack of pool test strips to test the level. You can’t smell or taste 1ppm. Pools are 3ppm.) If you fill at a marina, that water already has chlorine so you can skip this.

4 Have a good undersink GAC carbon block filter on a drinking water spigot to improve the taste further. Watermaker water often has a very slight “fishy” odor depending on where you are.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker