Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 12:08   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Ultrasonic Antifouling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I didn't say there was zero fouling in your neck of the woods. But maybe you don't have any experience with what real fouling looks like or how fast it happens, like here in California or even worse, in the southeast U.S. Until somebody outside of of the UK, northern Europe, the PNW or other region where in-water hull cleaning is needed infrequently (if at all) can provide evidence that these systems are effective, I will never change my opinion about them. Maybe they work for you in your particular situation and fouling conditions. That doesn't mean the products are effective anywhere else, where fouling is aggressive. Because it is most assuredly not in Washington.

I have been all up and down the West coast. 4 years in Mexico's West coast.
Barnacles a half inch in diameter in 3 weeks on my stern rode in Zihuatanejo. In December.
I know fouling when I see it.
How many boats have you cleaned in the PNW? How do you "know" what fouling is like up here?

Politely asking,

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:30   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Barnacles a half inch in diameter in 3 weeks on my stern rode in Zihuatanejo.
So how did your ultrasonic system work in Mexico?

Quote:
How many boats have you cleaned in the PNW? How do you "know" what fouling is like up here?
I have spent plenty of time in the PNW, I know divers who have worked there for decades and I have customers who have moved their boats there. So please don't try to infer that you have the same kind of fouling conditions that are found 1000 miles to the south. You don't and you know it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 13:52   #18

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I have the Jaycar system, 3 transducers in each aluminium hull. Barnacles grow right under the transducers! This is just plain ********!
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 14:25   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
I have the Jaycar system, 3 transducers in each aluminium hull. Barnacles grow right under the transducers! This is just plain ********!
Old 21-01-2019, 14:33   #20

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
I know of one other in sydney with this system, similar results.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 14:46   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 21-01-2019, 16:14   #22

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

My friend said it worked perfectly to prevent barnacles growing inside the thru hole and sea water intake hoses, but does nothing to weeds which use photosynthesis.

I personally don't use antifouling or ultrasonic. It takes 20 minutes to dive over and scrape the bottom so why bother?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:34   #23

Quote:
So how did your ultrasonic system work in Mexico?

I have spent plenty of time in the PNW, I know divers who have worked there for decades and I have customers who have moved their boats there. So please don't try to infer that you have the same kind of fouling conditions that are found 1000 miles to the south. You don't and you know it.

I was answering your inference that I hadn't ever been anywhere besides the PNW and you already knew that.

I didn't have the system on the previous boat.

That was back in the mid '90's, and I'm pretty sure you knew that as well.
We've both been on this board for a long time and you have had "discussions" with me before, so quit playing word games.

Ayn Rand
Old 21-01-2019, 17:01   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was answering your inference that I hadn't ever been anywhere besides the PNW and you already knew that.

I didn't have the system on the previous boat.

That was back in the mid '90's, and I'm pretty sure you knew that as well.
We've both been on this board for a long time and you have had "discussions" with me before, so quit playing word games.
Yes, of course. Except that this is not a private discussion between you and me. Further, others reading this obviously have not been party to those previous threads in which you and I have participated. So just as this topic has been discussed many times here, some of the same questions must be asked again.
Old 21-01-2019, 17:16   #25

Quote:
Jeezus- since when did simple differing opinions become a "food fight"?
I agree...."food fight" is a bit over the top.

I appreciate your contributions fstbttms....you obviously know what you're talking about.

Ultrasonic Antifouling aside...didn't you experiment with a test panel awhile ago.

Any results you could share via another thread or PM?

Cheers
Old 21-01-2019, 19:12   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I agree...."food fight" is a bit over the top.
Some people get a real hard-on when a hull diver has the audacity to tell them what's what. I've seen it a lot in here.

Quote:
I appreciate your contributions fstbttms....you obviously know what you're talking about.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Ultrasonic Antifouling aside...didn't you experiment with a test panel awhile ago.

Any results you could share via another thread or PM?
Not with ultrasound. I was going to do a comparison test between Coppercoat and Pettit Trinidad. I actually bought the paint and made fiberglass panels out of my old Sunfish to run the test but have never gotten off my ass and actually done it. Maybe this spring would be a good time to start.
Old 21-01-2019, 20:50   #27

The "Search" function on CF is your friend....

Ayn Rand
Old 22-01-2019, 07:26   #28

It's pretty clear that ultrasonic antifouling is working for some people, and not for others. The intense negativity here has repeatedly prevented serious discussion on the topic, and any attempts to discover just what works, and under what conditions.

In every "discussion" I've read on this topic it's the same scenario. One party with a clear agenda takes over the conversation running roughshod over anybody who dares to contradict his "expert" opinion, and browbeating them into silence. And encouraging those for whom the systems have not worked to dominate the conversation. The result is the appearance of a consensus that ultrasonic antifouling system do not work.. period.

In this climate it is impossible for anybody to get a real idea of how this technology can be made to work. It obviously can be. Personal experience apparently counts for nothing, unless it supports the contention that these systems are a fraud, and in some cases the attacks on people's credibility are outrageous, even in the case of an older discussion to the point of accusing contributors of being shills.

The best laboratory is the real world, because that is where we use antifouling, and suppressing or attacking real world accounts... positive prevents people from forming an honest picture, and reaching valid conclusion, and also discourages other members from contributing. As a result those of us who are really interested and do not have an agenda other than saving money and time, will have to go somewhere else to reach an honest objective conclusion. Most will simply throw up their hands and continue as they always have, concluding that these systems are at best a gamble. That serves none of us except those who make their living installing bottom paint or cleaning hulls.

I acknowledge that a diver that scrapes hulls is an expert......... at scraping hulls.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 07:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post

I acknowledge that a diver that scrapes hulls is an expert......... at scraping hulls

H.W.

Your parting cheap shot was inappropriate and uncalled for.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:50   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Once again, you overstate the case and threw in a little dose of derision to boot. In actuality, nobody has been shouted down by me in any of the threads on this topic- ever. And the fact of the matter is that I do have decades of experience and extensive expertise on the subject of in-water hull cleaning and anti fouling coatings. Certainly more than you. That you don't like what I have to say about ultrasonic anti fouling systems or the way I say it doesn't mean I'm wrong about it. Unfortunately for you, you have yet to effectively rebut my argument. I get that your inability to do so gets your panties all in a bunch.

And the derisive little quip at the end of your post? Thanks for making my point for me.