Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 12:54   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Thumbs Down to Raymarine Support for ST6002 Wheel Drive

My autopilot was having problems turning my wheel. So I looked though the Raymarine site looking for answers and didn't find any that matched. So I put in a case. Waited a week and finally got a response. A back a forth email with Raymarine commenced with them basically telling me I had to send the unit in and that the belt was no longer available (they give me a supplier for it). So this weekend I was looking at it more and found that there is a tension adjustment for the belt/motor assembly. I tightened the belt and that didn't help so I loosened it back up some (to between where it started and where I had moved it), and dang if that didn't make it better. So figuring there must be some procedure for setting the thing I responded to Raymarine again asking if there was a procedure. They responded that there wasn't any procedure and that a service tech had to do this (it is just an allen screw and knob). They of course never even told me about this adjustment and it isn't in the manual at all.

So my review is that if you start having problems with your motor not being able to turn the wheel, look at adjusting the little knob till you get it "tuned in".

I'm pretty disappointed in Raymarine and will remember this when I go to upgrade to a below deck unit.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:58   #2

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
The editor of San Francisco's Latitude 38 mag just went through a long back and forth with Raymarine, and found that resoundingly, boatowners say exactly what you have said.

On a word of hope -- I have read rumors that Garmin is considering buying out Raymarine and taking over the boating market. As a career aviator, and knowing the solid and excellent products AND support they have given in that niche, I would look forward to such an aquisition.
Old 21-09-2009, 13:20   #3
CLOD

Yeah, I just looked though the Raymarine site more and found that in fact there is a written procedure on adjusting the clutch for the old Mark II wheel drives (under a ST4000 manual that I didn't look at before because I have a ST6002). So I then looked at the manual for the new X-5 wheel drive and dang if the same exact procedure wasn't in it (probably same wheel drive unit). So I just finished replying to Raymarine again bascially telling them to learn their products.
Old 21-09-2009, 13:27   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
When the belt goes bad, you can get them online. Even Ebay had them for less than half what Raymarine quoted.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:35   #5
CLOD

Raymarine told me they don't even have my belt during the back and forth. I just looked in the old Mark II manual and the part number for the belt is the same as the current one for the SmartPilot X-5. They guys don't know their products or make attempt to help other than making it look good.
Old 21-09-2009, 14:26   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
This has convinced me to go with Simrad once and for all...Thanks for posting it.

I second the feeling we would be far better served if Garmin acquired Ray-marine...there has just been to many of your type of complaints in this and other forums..it bogels my mind really as a buisness owner how they can keep this attitude going and survive.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 14:33   #7

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
It must have to do with the country your in, as myself have had two issues with my Raymarine products, and both have been handled great, both here in Canada, they even sent me the parts I needed even though my warranty was 2 years past. As for tech help both times they were there to help me, can't say I've ever been treated so well. One call was from when I was 20 miles of the east coast of Canada, got right through and was all finished in 20 mintues and issued solved.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 15:29   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Raymarine told me they don't even have my belt during the back and forth. I just looked in the old Mark II manual and the part number for the belt is the same as the current one for the SmartPilot X-5. They guys don't know their products or make attempt to help other than making it look good.

Raymarine told me the same thing, but least I got the part number out of them. I then googled the part number and Voila! lots of hits. That's where I got the eBay link. I bought two for the price Raymarine quoted.

Btw, the belts came folded back on themselves, so it took a couple of weeks for the belt to work without dragging when declutched.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 15:51   #9
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
It must have to do with the country your in, .
I hope this isn't a reason for poor service! I live 30 miles from Raymarine and they knew this (this is even where they told me to send me unit for service, you know to replace the belt they said they don't have anymore)!

I'm just pissed about the whole thing! I may keep adding to this thread a while just to keep on the home portal so more people see what idiots they seem to be.
Old 21-09-2009, 16:20   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Sorry to hear that DL.

My issue with them has been handled well and rapidly so far.

It has been agreed that the display on the Tridata is bad and is now in thier hands for repair. Speed data (voltages) coming to display but no speed reading.

We shall see.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 14:25   #11
CLOD

Guess Raymarine figures they don't owe me any apolgy as it's been over 24 hours since I pointed out that they do in fact have a written procedure for adjusting the clutch on the wheel, and they do in fact still have the belts. (just to refresh the post)
Old 22-09-2009, 14:41   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Just to add to the thread. I needed a software update for my chartplotter and did not have a card reader on my computer so could not download and install it. Phoned Raymarine. They agreed to send me one for a $30 deposit. OK by me but they insisted on UPS. I said I had lots of time, just mail it (a CF card), no, it had to be UPS with me paying for shipping. I said forget it. This was a few years ago. I still haven't updated the software and don't intend to.
Old 22-09-2009, 15:53   #13

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
The poor support of Ray by Ray seems legendary, and that is why I will be going with Garmin after I close on the Mainship 34 I have under contract. I called Garmin support this AM and had a tech on line in less than 5 min and he knew his stuff.
I did this test with credit cards, I do most of my spending on plastic to get the miles. I called 4 different card # a few years ago and AMX answered in a reasonable amount of time, others no. 2 income family, middle class, 7 years = a lot of money churning through their operation...all decited by a csr answering or not answering. I have been happy with AMX and I expect to be happy with Garmin. My street Garmin works fine.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:17   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Just to add to the thread. I needed a software update for my chartplotter and did not have a card reader on my computer so could not download and install it. Phoned Raymarine. They agreed to send me one for a $30 deposit. OK by me but they insisted on UPS. I said I had lots of time, just mail it (a CF card), no, it had to be UPS with me paying for shipping. I said forget it. This was a few years ago. I still haven't updated the software and don't intend to.
That does not sound good but they must have a contract with UPS. Businesses work that way I fear.

By the way, I needed an update for my chartplotter too (Garmin) and went to the Office Depot and got a USB plug-in thingy that I can slip my card (SD) into. Worked well, just like any other mass storage device. On sale for like 6 bucks if I remember correctly.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:28   #15
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
I have used Raymarine on the charter boats I operate in the summer (trawlers and sail to 49 feet) and cannot say how much ... I despise the entire product line. I have Garmin on board my own vessel, used it since I started boating and cannot say enough good about the product or the tech support, both online and by phone.
If Raymarine is being bought by Garmin, it'll be the best thing that could happen to the brand.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine