Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 20:45   #1

Boat: J-42
Help! Raymarine Linear Drive Clutch...

I am in Tonga on a quick trip around the world. (Check out www.crisismode.org ) My Raymainre linear drive clutch just locked in the engaged position. I had to disconnect the drive to steer to anchor here in Tonga... I replaced the rest of the autopilot system today hoping the computer was to blame, but it wasn't. Heading to the boat now to pull the drive unit out and pull it apart...

Anyone have an ideas??? Don't have the time or money to send this one out or replace it...

Thanks Much for any help.

Todd
Crisis Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 14:14   #2

Boat: J-42
Done. Unit came apart easily and I found the two clutch plates badly rusted. After some some with a wire brush and some WD-40 I put it back together and it seems to be working fine. I think these clutchs need to be disengaged and the boat hand steered for a while to prevent this build-up from the looks of it.... Thrilled about the autopilot, but just missed clearing out of customs before it closed for the weekend. Guess I will stay put unit Monday...

Perhaps this help someone else now...

Todd
Crisis Mode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linear drive, raymarine