Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 08:37   #1

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Stove: Electric vs Propane

need some input.........if you had a choice would it be electric or propane....no genset...
Old 30-08-2009, 08:52   #2

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
If your going to use it go Propane.... if your just going to look at it then Electric would work.

Do you have any idea how much power an Electric stove would require. Basically useless unless you are in a slip or have a genset.
Old 30-08-2009, 09:07   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I've seen some of these electric stoves on boats, even "regular-size" sailboats. How can they possibly make them work? Surely, these things must suck massive amounts of electrons!?

While you have to be sure that your propane system is properly installed, and you should have a monitor/alarm, after that, they are cheap, easy, reliable, common, and no electricity required. What's not to like?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 09:30   #4

thats what i thought! was looking at a csy 44 and was wondering why the guy put an new electric stove in it...at 1500 watts with one burner on, that would suck a bank down in a hurry.........guess it's a dock Queen.......LOL
Old 30-08-2009, 09:54   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
1500 watts! Holy moly -- all I wanted was a cup of coffee! That just makes no sense, to me. I don't even like electric stoves in my house.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 11:00   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Nothing worse than an electric stove on a sailboat. Friends had a big Morgan with an electric stove and a genset but would not even make a pot of tea as they had to fire up the genset first. Very impractical.
Old 30-08-2009, 11:38   #7

yep that boat is defiantly off my list.......
Old 30-08-2009, 12:28   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Propane / butane if no genset. I have seen a boat with electric and they loved it, but they had the genset.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 20:41   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Even in a house, electric is slow to heat and cool, and slow to change temp.
Any knowledgeable cook will tell you gas is best.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 21:19   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
thats what i thought! was looking at a csy 44 and was wondering why the guy put an new electric stove in it...at 1500 watts with one burner on, that would suck a bank down in a hurry.........guess it's a dock Queen.......LOL
Does this boat come with an umbrella and wheelbarrow too
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 21:30   #11

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
I use propane even with a genset but it does use electricity. 12 volts to my solenoid valve ann bilge sniffer. I bypassed the automatic shutoff on the sniffer because it responded to diesel fumes and just about everything else. It still gives me a warning light however, it just no longer secures my propane.

Have fun

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 22:04   #12

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by svquest2 View Post
I bypassed the automatic shutoff on the sniffer because it responded to diesel fumes and just about everything else. It still gives me a warning light however, it just no longer secures my propane.
Yikes!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:12   #13

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
Yes scotte, I believe you would too if you used your nose and knew that there was no propane in the bilge but you couldn't cook or shower (I also have a propane on demand water heater), because the auto shutoff wouldn't let the solenoid open. What you do is use your nose to check if the alarm light comes on when you put power to the switch. If there is no propane odor, you open the solenoid. It sure beats going hungry.

I have also bypassed the low pressure cutoff on my gen set when it was faulty (until I could get it replaced) and I normally disconnect my O2 alarm until I put the propane on.

Have you ever been wakened in the middle of the night when an O2 alarm went off for no apparent reason except for maybe CO2 from exhaling in your sleep? Some automatic controls can be very annoying; but defeating them at any time has to be done with common sense.

Have fun

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 22:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I filled a 5-gallon propane tank (I think -- it's the standard BBQ-size tank), to cook for a crew of six for two weeks, then for a crew of four for 2-1/2 weeks, then took the tank home and it's still running my propane BBQ. I can't imagine the gallons of diesel and engine or genset-hours that would be needed to do the same with an electric stove.

I vote for propane.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14   #15

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Even with a genset I would use propane. One tank will last the two of us for a couple of months. And in the colder months we put one of those red clay pots for planting flowers over one of the burners and it heats up the area nicely.

I certainly would never second guess someone elses procedures, however, I know on my boat I would not bypass a propane safety feature. Having to wake up occassionally to silence an alarm is the price of safety and potentially not blowing my boat up. Only MHO....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote