Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 11:39   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Stainless or Galvanized Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillTheWine View Post
Is that really the way you read that? Let me try again.

Clearly, the owner willing to spend a bit more for the best stuff is more likely to pay more to do everything the right way. My point is a sailor who poo poos another sailor simply for buying something nicer is suspect IMO and experience.

Look at IN-N-OUT burger. All their stuff is extra nice. Polished wheels on their trucks, stainless everywhere at their restaurants, grass fed beef, paying their staff 20 to 50% more than the competition to get the best people, and so forth. Is it any surprise that their burgers win highest quality recognition near universally? No. It's not a surprise.

It's a simple equation. If I go to someone's house to buy a motorcycle I'm looking around at everything else. What sort of toolbox does he have, rusty Husky or clean Craftsman or better? What sort of tools and are they clean and organized? Does he have cases of synthetic oil on nice racks or does he have old gallon jugs of Rotella thrown in a pile with old air filters? Is his enclosed trailer covered or stored inside? Are his bikes all clean? Is the garage floor clean or does it look like a Pollock painting? Who in their right mind is gonna assume the guy who has everything clean, organized, and spends a bit more to do everything the right way is gonna be more suspect than the guy who chooses everything based on function and price?

We have a few jet skis and an old race boat and a very nice Schiada ski boat. We used galvanized for years on everything. Didn't really think about it. But then we had stains everywhere from that. First, we upgraded to galvanized jacketed cable. That didn't last much longer. So we upgraded to stainless. Sure it's a bit more money. But we keep our stuff for a long time and we take the best care of it. Stainless chain is simply the smartest and highest quality option for us. Moreover, if we decided to sell anything we already have people in line to buy it because they know we do everything a certain way and my friends are smart enough to know you make your money when you buy something not when you sell it.

Same for our dually. When a pressure hose goes out sure I could simply get another reinforced rubber hose at Autozone. But I don't ever want to replace that hose again so I pay more for a custom stainless braided hose. Looks bitchin and will outlast me most likely.

Part of this is also how we grew up. My parents were aerospace people here in So Cal so I grew up with a certain threshold for doing things that we didn't go below. Our boat trailer in the 60s had every fastener on it shared with the Saturn 5 rocket. Our raceboat had stainless braided Teflon coated unobtainable hose in it. I'm not calling my dad a thief. I'm just saying that is how the So Cal hot rodding tradition started. All the racing we did growing up had the same ethic.

So if a man has worked his arse off his whole life and he had succeeded doing things his way then more power to him to continue that on his boat(s) whether that means cheapo chain or hand polished American made stainless. Insofar as losing an anchor due to stainless breaking, I'd offer the opposite is equally true. At the bottom of price is galvanized and there are no profit margins down there so it's much more likely to be made in a low wage country with zero quality control.

All that said, I keep a couple of buckets of very heavy galvanized chain around for pulling things.
I'm not sure losing an anchor is of great concern? It's losing the boat as the result of it. I would agree where it's made is important. American made? Post WW ii that went away as foundries did.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:23   #47

makes sense. Thanks. I know guys doing custom anchors and more out of metals they check the source on here. Everything can also be done in polished stainless. I assume that with the more money that comes from more expensive boats there'll be a corresponding increase in the profit there as an incentive.

Heck, there's a guy in Vermont making dog bowls out of stainless and he tracks the sourcing of the alloy and everything! Bowls aren't cheap but you know your pal ain't drinking in lead. Plus, they last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm not sure losing an anchor is of great concern? It's losing the boat as the result of it. I would agree where it's made is important. American made? Post WW ii that went away as foundries did.
SpillTheWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 02:24   #48

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

Quote:
Is that really the way you read that? Let me try again.

Clearly, the owner willing to spend a bit more for the best stuff is more likely to pay more to do everything the right way. My point is a sailor who poo poos another sailor simply for buying something nicer is suspect IMO and experience.
I indeed read it that way, sorry for the confusion.
I never really buy anything used for the boat, but when i do, I do look around to see what kind of people they are to make a judgement of how the product might have been maintained.
Having said that, in the context of the subject I didn't get your point. You are talking about spending a bit more for the best stuff, stainless has for me no added value whatsoever and is not a better product when it comes to quality or longevity, to the contrary actually. That is why I don't get the point that if you don't have a SS anchor, that you probably use bad motor oil or electrical components as well.
Old 24-02-2018, 02:56   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

A polished stainless anchor is cleaner and that's nice. Some would also argue it inserts itself easier and faster.
I might even debate that one, if you like..
Chris
Old 24-02-2018, 08:58   #50

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
A polished stainless anchor is cleaner and that's nice. Some would also argue it inserts itself easier and faster.
I might even debate that one, if you like..
Chris
The point here is that the galvanized version of any anchor will be stronger than the stainless steel version. Paying a lot more for the weaker version just because it's got bling might make sense on an express cruiser like a Sea Ray but most cruisers care more about the strength of the anchor than how it looks. Of course, if you're selling anchors stainless is the way to go!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:13   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The point here is that the galvanized version of any anchor will be stronger than the stainless steel version. Paying a lot more for the weaker version just because it's got bling might make sense on an express cruiser like a Sea Ray but most cruisers care more about the strength of the anchor than how it looks. Of course, if you're selling anchors stainless is the way to go!
Scout and others, I agree with your statement. But do understand an increase in dimension would compensate for the reduction of strength.

Erik's comment I may have misread, I should have focused on the "for me" part.
"stainless has for me no added value whatsoever and is not a better product when it comes to quality or longevity, to the contrary actually."

I cannot personally justify a stainless anchor, I can't even afford the galv version.
Chris
Old 24-02-2018, 10:23   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stainless or Galvanized Anchor

Quote:
Excellent condition in America's NE where everything rusts is a completely different appearance than excellent condition in America's southwest where the appearance of cars/boats/motorcycles can last forever.

Heck, there's a guy in Vermont making dog bowls out of stainless and he tracks the sourcing of the alloy and everything! Bowls aren't cheap but you know your pal ain't drinking in lead. Plus, they last forever.
Well according to the climate change folks.. and this winters snow.. the gritters will soon change that down South.
Dog bowls don't have to deal with tons..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:17   #53

I just look at an SS anchor in terms of the overall way of doing things. I'd rather buy from someone who spent that kind of money because, frankly, I'm usually not the guy who splurges like that. So I try to buy used from a person who did that and save alot of cabbage.

I bought ski boat several years ago but I watched it for several years before that. When I first saw it for sale it needed alot of work. New trailer, tires, engine and gearcase were tired, etc. Plus, the seller wanted top dollar. It's the #1 brand here in So Cal so the bones were good but I'm a firm advocate of you make your money when you buy something rather than selling it. I watched another local guy here buy it. Then he hemorrhaged money on it. Far more than doubled his investment. His wife was refusing to ride in it as he'd borrowed serious money out of her 401K to complete it. He quietly sold it to another guy who sold it to another. I tracked it down. It wouldn't sell because the correct prop had been lost and no one could figure it out. I bought it for a third of what the 1st buyer had in it. Took me two years to figure out the prop with the help of a friend's race shop. Doing that, and being patient, means I have the extra budget to do things as I want to. But if I had bought the boat new I doubt I'd be splurging for a polished stainless shore spike and a polished stainless anchor etc.

So I think we agree! On its own a polished stainless anchor doesn't mean much. But taken with alot of other details I think it can really tell a story about cabinetry, and fiberglass repairs and so forth.

So I reckon two points.
1. It's human nature to be attracted to shiny objects over dull ones.
2. I want to buy from a sailor who spends the extra money to do things best possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik de Jong View Post
I indeed read it that way, sorry for the confusion.
I never really buy anything used for the boat, but when i do, I do look around to see what kind of people they are to make a judgement of how the product might have been maintained.
Having said that, in the context of the subject I didn't get your point. You are talking about spending a bit more for the best stuff, stainless has for me no added value whatsoever and is not a better product when it comes to quality or longevity, to the contrary actually. That is why I don't get the point that if you don't have a SS anchor, that you probably use bad motor oil or electrical components as well.
Old 24-02-2018, 14:26   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stainless or Galvanized Anchor

Now I'm different.. I tend to think if its that nice.. why's he selling it.
Mind.. I do think Wall Mart sucks as well.. prefer Publix.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:30   #55

I don't understand the personality, but there are people out there who like to buy boats/things and fix them and then buying something new. They don't seem to care about the money. I have a relative who does it. He buys the boat he wants, spends heaps of cash making it perfect, then sells it. Alot of guys out here do it with hot rods too. Funny thing is, if I ask him what his dream boat is, it's always a boat he's never tried to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now I'm different.. I tend to think if its that nice.. why's he selling it.
Mind.. I do think Wall Mart sucks as well.. prefer Publix.
Old 26-02-2018, 01:23   #56

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

Quote:
So I think we agree!

<cut>

So I reckon two points.
1. It's human nature to be attracted to shiny objects over dull ones.
2. I want to buy from a sailor who spends the extra money to do things best possible.
I don't think we do
I'm absolutely not attracted to shiny things, but do want the best product when it comes to quality/longevity, not only because I like sailing more than maintenance, but mainly because I hate to waste our limited amount of resources on this planet.

As for your statement, ss anchors are not better in any way or form than galv. anchors, they only look better but are in fact inferior to steel anchors and not meant for regular use as they are much more prone to fatigue, invisible forms of corrosion and are often weaker to start with.
So when I see a boat with a stainless anchor or chain, all alarm bells in my head will start ringing and I will have a double good look to see if other items onboard are actually meant for regular use are meant for 'looking good when not in use'.

Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with using your boat not as much, but I want to be able to rely on my gear for many years to come at very intense use, so only the best for me, regardless of looks. Therefore I end up often with agricultural looking equipment from the commercial shipbuilding industry.
Old 26-02-2018, 01:53   #57

Boat: no boat any more

"...when I see a boat with a stainless anchor or chain, all alarm bells in my head will start ringing..."
absolutely correct! I'd prefer a conscientious PO, installing quality-stuff on his boat in all those millions of unseen places & do excellent maintenance again to all those things in unseen places (like greasing the brake-cones on the windlass) over one that mounts bling-bling stuff in conspicuous positions like the anchor roller
Old 26-02-2018, 05:24   #58

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

We spent quite a bit of time reviewing Mantus and Ultra ground tackle solutions at the Miami show. I was initially planning on purchasing a 105# Mantus with G4 HT galvanized chain but was intrigued with the 100# Ultra when paired with 100m of CROMOX Duplex G60+ 318L 12mm SS.

CROMOX Chain
Waelder Cromox Chains - F&B Yachting

It's ridiculously expensive, but seems superior to all other comparable galvanized or SS options - especially when electro-polished which further improves corrosion resistance and includes provides a 3 years guarantee against pitting/corrosion.

While we like the fact that SS eliminates rust stains, the appearance of the anchor and chain is of lesser concern as both are largely hidden on the Saba (very little "boat bling" component as the anchor roller is below the bridge deck.)

If price wasn't a consideration, and you were simply trying to find the best-practice/most reliable ground tackle option for a boat that will spent a majority of it's time on the hook - would you consider this solution?

Thanks much for your time and opinion!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 23:04   #59

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik de Jong View Post
I don't think we do
I'm absolutely not attracted to shiny things, but do want the best product when it comes to quality/longevity, not only because I like sailing more than maintenance, but mainly because I hate to waste our limited amount of resources on this planet.

As for your statement, ss anchors are not better in any way or form than galv. anchors, they only look better but are in fact inferior to steel anchors and not meant for regular use as they are much more prone to fatigue, invisible forms of corrosion and are often weaker to start with.
So when I see a boat with a stainless anchor or chain, all alarm bells in my head will start ringing and I will have a double good look to see if other items onboard are actually meant for regular use are meant for 'looking good when not in use'.

Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with using your boat not as much, but I want to be able to rely on my gear for many years to come at very intense use, so only the best for me, regardless of looks. Therefore I end up often with agricultural looking equipment from the commercial shipbuilding industry.
Totally agree
Its like you're in my head.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 00:02   #60

Boat: no boat any more

we have to make a little exception for the stainless chains:
those shallow chainlockers many boats have (I presume so they don't infringe on the forecabins that much) are a pita with galvanized chains that quickly build up into pyramids, reaching the windlass & leading to chain jumping on the gypsy. stainless chains with their low friction do not pile up nearly as much & the whole installation becomes more feasible (not ideal but better). the price is in possible unseen corrosion & $$$

Tags
anchor