Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 13:05   #16

Re: Rocna anchors; where are they made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Zoner View Post
Thanks for the contact info. My next effort will be to try and contact them directly. I do know that Budget Marine did contact them and have tried follow up emails to them but again no response back!

Craig
Contact them direct, also include the picture and as well should be a lot # on the anchor. Rocna (CMP) has excellent warrantee if your the original purchaser.

For info, Rocna makes their anchors in a Chinese plant with their staff as quality control at all stages. CMP produces many metal related products for the marine industry, not just small boats but commercial frieghters size. They have a great deal of metal expertise in amchors, shackles, chain, anodes throughout the world.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:08   #17

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I have been thinking of changing my CQR for a modern style anchor. However , modern anchors seem so flimsy. That picture above confirms my observations. However , at least this Rocna didn't seem to drag and re-set !!!. My business involves Construction products. Many times have been tempted by economical Chinese items , but have learn't not to trust quality or guarantee. Buy USA , if you can find any ,has always been reliable. President Trump , please note !
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:46   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
We purchased a Vulcan about 6 months ago. We've set anchor about 6 times now and after our last time when we pulled up our Rocna, it looked like this! We anchored in Marigot Bay St. Martin. In sand and winds always under 25 to 30 knots.
We have filed a claim through Budget Marine but have heard nothing back from Rocna in close to a month. We'd like to go back to the regular Rocna but if we hear nothing from them we may be looking for a new anchor manufacturer.

Craig

Attachment 141972
This is what a cheaply made anchor looks like after a problem:

As HopCar posted a good anchor will bend under heavy loading such as jamming in rocks, a bad anchor will break.

When Canada Metals bought Rocna a few years ago the first thing they did was destroy every anchor in stock and start fresh. They make the Rocna in their own factory in China, not in the factory it was made in under previous ownership. Canada Metal makes very good chain as well as more anodes than anyone else in the world.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 16:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
I have been thinking of changing my CQR for a modern style anchor. However , modern anchors seem so flimsy. That picture above confirms my observations. However , at least this Rocna didn't seem to drag and re-set !!!. My business involves Construction products. Many times have been tempted by economical Chinese items , but have learn't not to trust quality or guarantee. Buy USA , if you can find any ,has always been reliable. President Trump , please note !
So your CQR is made in UK, most of your electronics made in Asia.
Took 20 years for american automakers to improve quality to standard of asian and europeon makers.
And most goods the Donald and his various ventures buy are from China.
Old 25-02-2017, 17:01   #20

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Manson is poorly considered, as a copy derived from Rocna, with a questionable (to someone..) welded doubled sheet.

I ordered it thru a Malta chandler and it comes from NZ, that which was a positive clue to me.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 17:40   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
If you are currently cruising the East coast of Australia there are two regional manufacturers who use the highest grade steels (shank of bisaloy) to choose from a good opportunity.

Anchor Right Australia

Manson Anchors: the world's finest stainless steel and galvanised anchors

They will both likely be present at the Sanctuary Cove Boat show coming up soon on the Gold Coast if you are nearby late May.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 04:59   #22

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
When you put a side load on an anchor that can't turn, hooked on a rock, a good anchor will bend, a bad anchor will break.
Great comment
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 05:47   #23
cruiser

[QUOTE=AZ_Zoner;2333631]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Bay View Post

It held fine. I would of expected it to in such light winds. But should it of bent so bad with light winds? I don't think so. Several other boats around in the same conditions and no bent anchors. Has to make you think that newly designed Vulcan has a design flaws or cheaper manufacturing techniques that produce a sub-standard anchor. I know I won't buy another Vulcan!

Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
When you put a side load on an anchor that can't turn, hooked on a rock, a good anchor will bend, a bad anchor will break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
Great comment
An anchor which bends easily in light winds when stuck is made of crap steel or the result of poor design. Our anchor has been held fast in rock a number of times when I thought we'd have difficulty retrieving it. When light to moderate winds kicked up, it never bent. We use an Ultra anchor made from stainless steel.

Just go back to Rocna 101 and find out why their anchors were recalled. Crap Chinese steel causing bent shanks. Here we go again.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 06:04   #24

[QUOTE=Kenomac;2334109]
Quote:

An anchor which bends easily in light winds when stuck is made of crap steel or the result of poor design. Our anchor has been held fast in rock a number of times when I thought we'd have difficulty retrieving it. When light to moderate winds kicked up, it never bent. We use an Ultra anchor made from stainless steel.

Just go back to Rocna 101 and find out why their anchors were recalled. Crap Chinese steel causing bent shanks. Here we go again.
So a history lesson.
Rocna (nz) moved their production to china. CMP bought Rocna. Setting up thier quality control they (cmp) discovered a lot which the shank was not exact to the spec. Rocna offered to replace every anchor in that lot. None of the anchors in that lot failed.
CMP is a world lead in marine metals, their quality control is exemplary and higjly regarded in commercial shipping.

They do make SS anchors, but do not recommend that material. Most of us cruisers think of SS anchors as boat bling and offers no benifits on doing the job of holding a boat.
Old 26-02-2017, 06:36   #25

Roca stories were from the past as the new ones are very well manufactured, ours has been in all sorts of conditions in some very strong winds and has absolutely no problems. If you bend one of the new ones there has to be a very good reason. I don't believe any other anchor is stronger based on build quality. That's not to suggest that there are not other good anchors out there because there are but dragging up yesterday's story is a waste of time. It's also ok to realize that under certain conditions you can bend any anchor out there.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 06:51   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I don't believe any other anchor is stronger based on build quality.
No I disagree

When I replaced my 10kg Delta with a 10kg Rocna, I took the following photo. The difference in shanks was easy to see, the Delta was much stronger.

However, the higher holding strength was the reason for the change without increasing the weight, because at 10kg its a one handed lift to launch. Note the difference in blade area too.

[/URL]
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 07:03   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
No I disagree

When I replaced my 10kg Delta with a 10kg Rocna, I took the following photo. The difference in shanks was easy to see, the Delta was much stronger.

However, the higher holding strength was the reason for the change without increasing the weight, because at 10kg its a one handed lift to launch. Note the difference in blade area too.

[/URL]
What you dont see in the picture is that the shank of the rocna is made with HSS, where as the delta is not. Its like chain, 3/8 g30 chain looks bigger than g40 5/16 chain and yet the 5/16 g40 has higher working load.

Also shape of blade has a lot to do with holding power, not just area.
Old 26-02-2017, 07:10   #28
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Bought my first Rocna in 2007, it was made in Canada then.
Had to order it from Canada, no dealers in the US.
Old 26-02-2017, 07:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
No I disagree

[/URL]
Size does not equate to strength in most cases but that aside you made a wise decision as my experiences with Delta anchors is that they are a marginal anchor in most bottoms, they are cheap to purchase though and are used as a standard on most new high production boats.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 07:41   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Size does not equate to strength in most cases but that aside you made a wise decision as my experiences with Delta anchors is that they are a marginal anchor in most bottoms, they are cheap to purchase though and are used as a standard on most new high production boats.
Agreed, but the shank difference was substantial, something like twice the thickness and half the depth. Even taking into account the different steels that is a huge difference.

As I said, the reason for the change was to increase the holding power but not the weight or size as it lives in the anchor locker when not on the sea bed.

I wouldn't be worried if an anchor bent, I would if it snapped.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna