Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2022, 02:10   #31

Boat: SHE 31
Re: QuenchSea Desalinator

Bill

I've now completed initial testing on the QuenchSea desalinator.

I made up a 3500 ppm (3.5%) NaCl solution using table salt and seawater in 2 litre plastic bottles. A taste test confirmed the solution tasted pretty similar to clean seawater.

The initial recommended cleaning of the QuenchSea produced two obvious problems. Firstly, water leaked out of the pressure release valve screw that required tightening up with a tool far more than hand tight. Secondly, and more critically, a significant amount of water leaked out from the underside of the plastic body.

I felt the leak from the body was due to a bad seal around the filter. To inspect and remove the filter requires the large black plastic screw to be removed by turning it counter clockwise. This proved impossible by hand, it was done up too tightly. I placed the black plastic screw in a bench vice (suitably padded) and turned the body of the QuenchSea, that did the trick. The 31mm O ring on the black cap had been pinched and damaged on assembly (see photo)
I replaced the O ring and reassembled.

Testing involved 2 x 2 litre bottles of "seawater" made up as above.

Results:

Bottle 1
TDS 331 ppm output volume about 60 ml. Taste was acceptable. Pumping time about 7 minutes.

Bottle 2
TDS 440 ppm output volume about 50ml. Taste was acceptable. Pumping time about 8 minutes.

Pumping is hard work but perfectly achievable.

Despite changing one of the filter seals a large quantity of water leaked out of the machine body during pumping. I would estimate about 300 ml out of the total 2000 ml leaked out. Clearly the internal seals are not holding the maximum pressure of about 60 psi.

I will write to QuenchSea regarding the leaking.

In conclusion my feelings are this machine is still in the prototype stage, but works in principle. A solid surface is definitely required for effective pumping action.

I think modifications and improvements are needed to be effective in a liferaft. However, as mentioned earlier, yachting and liferafts are not the intended markets.

The 4 litres per hour stated output is very optimistic. With a leaking machine you'd be lucky to achieve 400 ml per hour of drinkable water after 60 minutes of continuous pumping. However, the output would almost certainly increase considerably if the leaks were eliminated.

I'll report further once I hear back from QuenchSea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221118_083044.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	267653  
mdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 05:55   #32

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Mdalton,
Excellent job testing. Hoping Lemsteraak will also do testing to see if there are issues w/that unit.

That o-ring is totally jacked up.

Wonder if the continued leak is from the membrane middle o-ring or input end fitting. Did they supply a tube of silicone grease as they mentioned in the manual?

It was good to see, the product water was well below 1000 ppm as per their spec.

Anyway good work and look forward to QS's reply to your inquires.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 07:34   #33

Bill

QS responded within a couple of hours. The company is sending me another unit which is excellent!

Here's a copy of their response;

Hi Michael

Thank you for your email and feedback. I will pass this to the team.

Please can you let me know where the leak is?

I have ordered a replacement for you.

The pressure relief valve is actually set at between 40 to 50 bar. You can see this with the pressure gauge when you are pumping. If you see the pressure gauge going above this you will need to turn the black hexagon shaped pressure relief valve anticlockwise to adjust and lower. If the pressure is below 40 bar you will need to tighten clockwise so that while pumping the pressure gauge is between 40 to 50 bars when it releases the reject brine. We will be creating additional videos to show more of the operations and also how to adjust the pressure relief valve in case of accidental tampering. You should receive the QuenchSea device with the pressure release valve already adjusted. There is no need to tighten to 60 bars. Doing this will also increase the force required to pump.

Please ensure you add silicone lubricant when removing and reinserting the membranes. We will also be creating a video on how to uncap and change membranes. For now you can potentially use a small rubber wrench. Our advice is to wait until we share a video on how to uncap. Membranes are already pre-installed so there is no urgency to change them now.

The o-ring can easily be damaged on removal/insertion. The o-rings on the RO membrane should have no impact on the quality of water produced and even if they are damaged the unit should still work. They help with separating the flows inside the cylinder but not necessary.

Unquote

So a very responsive company. Let's hope the new unit shows an improvement. I'll keep you updated.
Old 18-11-2022, 07:39   #34

I'm impressed by their quick response to questions/inquires and that they are sending you another unit. Wonder how long it will take to reach you.
Old 18-11-2022, 23:33   #35

Bill

A few corrections to my earlier posting.

The 3.5% seawater solution was made by adding 70 grams of fine grain table salt (NaCl) to 2000 grams of London tap water that was 150 ppm. The resulting solution is 35,000 ppm closely simulating clean seawater

Secondly, the pressure relief valve on the QuenchSea device was opening at 60 bar (not 60 psi).

I hope the above clarifies the test conditions. My apologies for not getting the figures right first time.
Old 19-11-2022, 07:04   #36

No problem, wish I had one to test to see if the problems you encountered were random or design problems w/the unit.
Old 24-11-2022, 13:10   #37

fascinating thread and product
71Percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 03:41   #38

Hi Bill

A follow up to my earlier messages.

I have not yet received a replacement QuenchSea device. I'll follow up with the manufacturer next week if nothing arrives in the next few days.

I know the company is busy sending out devices to their original backers so no worries.

If anyone else on the forum has had the opportunity to test their device I'd be interested to know the results.
Old 26-11-2022, 12:51   #39

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

A TDS tester is on the way.

I ordered a couple membranes and pre filters. How can Q/S supply two membranes for $60 US? A membrane for my little lifeboat water maker costs something over $400?
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 18:31   #40

I recently received my unit. I tested it at with salt water I made. I tested the water and found it to be 96% plus salt free. I’m taking it out on the boat soon and test with “real” salt water. Likely, I’ll have similar results . Not bad for 130 bucks
Mikeacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 19:36   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Mikeacro,
Thanks for the feedback on your testing, could you be a bit more specific regarding "96% plus salt free"? Since seawater is about 35,000 ppm do you mean the result was better than 1,400 ppm? I think this product is a success even if there is enough residual salt that it can be tasted.
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 20:19   #42

It was just under 1000 ppm. And my unit had no visible leaks. 45-50 bar was the pressure I saw. Not terribly difficult to pump. But agree it would be a challenge in a raft…..but I’d find a way
Old 02-12-2022, 08:42   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Mikeacro and Mdalton,
Thank you both for testing this product and providing feedback to this community. Mikeacro please notice how much more detail Mdalton has posted and in particular how much freshwater was produced per hour.

This thread has become very serious. It began with healthy skepticism that this emergency desalination system was anything more than just a scam. It has now progressed to the point that it appears to be a real product that might work.

We are discussing two different scenarios.

1. The crew have exhausted their freshwater supply but are still aboard.

2. The crew have exhausted freshwater brought onto a life raft without a firm surface.

These are both life and death scenarios. Neither require the emergency desalinator to produce tons of delicious water. Various sources already have confirmed that freshwater can be mixed with saltwater to stretch the supply. See:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ter-30704.html

There are already existing proven products manufactured by firms like Katadyn. See
https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/8...vivor-35~p6775
4.5 liters per hour costs about $2,300 and
https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/8013419~p6786
0.89 liters per hour costs about $1200-$1400

The type of information we need to consider this product as a viable solution includes:

1. How much freshwater does it really produce?
2. Can it be operated within a life raft? Is something like a board required to place upon someone's lap?
3. How long will it work for?
4. Will it work out of the box as promised?
5. How many years can it be stored and still work.

Based upon MDALTON's experience so far, the unit in question should be tested before taking it aboard a sailboat. After testing it should be taken apart, a new filter installed, and then it should be carefully put back together with a new o-ring.

I am thinking aloud here that there could even be a third party service provider that performs this task.

Note: I couldn't help but notice that both Mikeacro and Mdalton have only begun posts here on this forum this year. Mikeacro has to date posted just twice and only within this thread, and Mdalton has posted just 9 times. It would be helpful if both of you could introduce yourselves a bit more.
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:11   #44

Pbmaise,
As a retired professional pilot, and a sailor for 45 years, I have a reasonable knowledge of safety equipment. I’m just starting to evaluate this unit. If you’re not satisfied with the information myself or anyone else posts, spend the $130 and check it out yourself. Or hire a third party to do the testing you find necessary.
Cheers, Michael
Old 02-12-2022, 11:33   #45

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Jiust got a UPS tracking number from Q/S for the extra membranes and filters I ordered.

Many Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaigns have been sketchy, but this one has performed well. Right up front, by buying one of these we agree to help them fund product development. They are up front about that, now we are helping them develop this product.

I understand how it is frustrating to pin down the quality and how well their product works. If you are willing to help with product development and put up with a few quality and design issues then you should buy one and help. If you are looking for a lifeboat water maker they may have one down the road, but this isn't it.

Personally I look at this as an applied science project. They are raising the bar and developing a niche that other manufacturers have ignored. I can see how down the road the design can be tweaked to make a very nice little device for our use.

I'll be gone for a couple weeks but when I get back I promise to give you my thought on how well it works. Keep in mind that I'm not Dr. Science, my science degree was in economics, the dismal science.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc