Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 12:17   #1

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
QuenchSea Desalinator

I'm curious, these guy seem legit. They are building a small desalination unit that is quite innovative. If you buy one, another one is donated.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/q...r/x/22616137#/

I know a little about water makers and how precise and expensive they are. This one seems to be a game changer. Throw one in your ditch kit. I have no affiliation, seems to be something worth our support. - Rich
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 01:22   #2

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Re: QuenchSea Desalinator

Forgot to mention the price $150 and that is for two, one for you and one a donation. Looks a lot easier to use than what is on the market currently.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 03:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

It promises to deliver 2 liters of water, for an hour of hand-pumping.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 03:18   #4

I'm suspicious about this.

Going by the dimensions, they seem to use similar osmosis cartridges than your typical hand-cranked desalinisator. So how will they achieve the claimed of 2 l/h when the usual candidates like Katadyn only make 0.86/h. Perhaps through the power of marketing alone?

Other than this the main innovation seems to be the vertical crank and the foot-rest. Could work, but will it be robust enough outside a rendered 3D-model?

Because I'm at work at the moment, I can't check out the video right now if they actually have a working model.

I'm also very suspicious of the company sporting 24 heads-of-something-or-other, all arranged in a perfect diversity combo but few engineers. Either they're bullshitting-artists or they oversell themselves heavily. In both cases that isn't a good thing.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 03:26   #5
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It promises to deliver 2 liters of water, for an hour of hand-pumping.

I'm sure you can think of better things to do with your hand for an hour Gord
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 04:05   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Hand cranking this thing for a "steady" hour for two liters? My guess is that novelty will wear off quick.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 04:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hand cranking this thing for a "steady" hour for two liters? My guess is that novelty will wear off quick.
When in a survival raft or you really need water because your freshwater-tanks got contaminated by sea-water while on a passage, you'll make time for it and the novelty will be of no importance.

Under regular circumstances: Pretty stupid thing to do.
Old 18-03-2021, 08:08   #8

I took a closer look at the 24 people mentioned on their IndieGogo campaign. It seems that a lot of them are part of a startup-incubator crowd. This is a really bad sign, because the main qualification of those people is how to run such campaigns, not how to produce something that works. They brain-breeze for ideas looking good on IndieGogo and then try to net enough dupes.
I wouldn't give them money in any form.
Old 18-03-2021, 08:27   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

They contacted us almost a year ago to promote their watermaker. But at that time - and it still seems to be the case - they had no real world working model.

I also question its utility in an emergency situation. Anyone that's been in a liferaft would see that trying to step and hold that in position while cranking would be almost impossible. A hand pump is the only real option on the soft floor of a raft.

Matt
Old 29-04-2021, 07:50   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I have been having a look at this firm and agree they are professional crowd funding types and produce a slick video. I have seen zero information on their website to convince me they have any production unit.

https://quenchsea.world/

They are claiming 18000 liters per membrane. However, what about the built in prefilter??? The prefilter would certainly clog dozens or hundreds of times and need to be replaced if you are in waters with a lot of algae.

I see a price on their website of $70. Right??? is that the prefilter, the RO membrane or the whole thing? Apparently it is the whole thing. I am thinking Brooklyn Bridge here.

Now lets think about this. If they perhaps made millions of these in China they might be able to get production costs down, however, are they going to get down to $70?

They are certainly advertising on their website that this is perfect for the sailing community. Lets wait and see.

Note: The parent company of this firm also claims to have solved the energy crisis and uses kite and some sort of pressure chamber that is lowered and raised into deep water to power a hydroelectric generator. I gather when the chamber is lowered, water flows into the chamber and when it is pulled up again, the water flows out of the chamber. It looks like the only force pulling it down is gravity.

See the parent venture company with more bogus information here

https://hw.energy/

They advertise that a price tag of $700,000 to produce 1MW of energy. Right. I would like to see a 1MW electric generator capable of going into deep sea conditions for long term electrical production. This is just bonkers.

All this for only $700,000. I am thinking more like 100 times that figure and there is no way gravity alone will pull their chamber down into the deep.

So Mr. Lee King CEO of this firm. We call your bluff. Show us something real. Feel free to post a link here other than merely a request to crowd fund your latest pie in the sky venture.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 14:57   #11

Boat: Colvic Watson 1983 28.6

Hi bought one of these from them a month ago and still waiting for a reply to my mail as to when they will mail
Norv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:45   #12

Boat: no boat any more

after looking at their HP: could it be this somebody working on their master's thesis in psychology: "plumbing the depths of human gullibility" or similar
(artistic renderings of 21(!) heads of "our team": "humanitarian director": no what exactly is her assignment?...)
if this is "fair dinkum", as the Aussies say, "I'll eat a broom", as the Austrians say!
Old 07-12-2021, 16:42   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Prétorien 35

I brought one on the original Indigo deal. Even better price, thought it worth the risk.
Receive the odd update email.
Seems they are tweaking details to get the final mouldings just right.
I think they are making bits in a few different places then bringing them together to assemble.
They are still very much promising delivery, but the date does keep slipping.
To be fair a desalinator isn't that complex, but organising remote manufacturing and assembly at a v good price probably takes different skills.

Will see how it works when (if) it finally arrives.
Dantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 09:02   #14

Boat: Tartan 34-2

Hey Dantp,
Did you ever recieve your uit and what are your opinions? It sounds pretty good but I am skeptical. I HOPE you have good things to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantp View Post
I brought one on the original Indigo deal. Even better price, thought it worth the risk.
Receive the odd update email.
Seems they are tweaking details to get the final mouldings just right.
I think they are making bits in a few different places then bringing them together to assemble.
They are still very much promising delivery, but the date does keep slipping.
To be fair a desalinator isn't that complex, but organising remote manufacturing and assembly at a v good price probably takes different skills.

Will see how it works when (if) it finally arrives.
Old 22-08-2022, 12:21   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Prétorien 35

They now have pictures of fully assembled units and asked for a shipping address confirmation.
Maybe it'll arrive in September....
I might even be back to pick it up by then.
Dantp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc