Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 06:13   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Our Experience with Commandeur Insurance

Last September we were struck by lightning and lost all electronics and a lot of the electrics. Our insurance company is Commandeur in the Netherlands.

We have completed all repairs/replacement and are now back out cruising.

Commandeur paid for everything. This included a haulout and survey for damage, all equipment replacement and installation, pulling and reinstalling the mast (more expensive than the haulout where we were), and the entire 5 month marina stay. The total cost was relatively large and we did not get any hassle from them.

Commandeur themselves are only representatives of insurance companies and do not handle the claims directly. Upon reporting our strike, they turned our case over to a Dutch marine engineering firm that worked with both us and the insurers to determine the extent of damage, the best avenue of repair and the costs for such. Then the insurance company sent us a check for the up-front costs of the equipment. We are now waiting for the remainder of the money for the marina stay and various other small bits. We are confident that they will pay this part as they did the first part.

The marine engineering firm was very helpful. You are assigned an engineer who knows boats very well and speaks flawless English, so you can quickly work with him to determine what the damage is and what repairs/replacements are necessary. The engineering firm stays very active throughout the whole process with you and is instantly responsive to all communication. Commandeur themselves do not play much of a role and the actual insurance company stays completely behind the scenes. All of this is actually a good thing because Commandeur does not know boats like a marine engineer and the insurance company is only interested in insurance.

When we first got Commandeur insurance, we couldn't understand what the "catch" was. The rates were fantastic, the coverage and deductable were better than all others and the navigation limits and crew requirements very generous. The only information we could not find on them was whether they had paid out claims.

We now know they pay out claims. We are very happy with Commandeur's insurance product and happy with how they handled our damage claim.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 08:42   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Our experience with Commandeur Insurance

That is great to hear.

Are you a US flagged vessel? I'm looking for insurance for outside the US, but most won't touch a US flagged boat.
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 09:45   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I would have used them too, but they don't cover hurrucanes in Florida...
(Named Storms)
Old 18-02-2012, 13:33   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

A good insurance company?

Wow!!
Old 18-02-2012, 13:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

That is nice to hear. I was half expecting another gripe against an insurance company, which is not the mission of this forum to deal with.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:37   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, we are a US flagged boat and currently cruising outside the US.

Do many companies still cover hurricanes in FL now? If so, they are probably a vanishing breed.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:51   #7

Boat: 73 pearson 35

back in the day,
After paying and getting a better rate i was denied a claim for a L strike because i had installed a inner fore stay myself......
I guess if i paid a rigger he would of bonded it.
Now the insurance co that will not be named but if UR are in a pub in the county of loyds.i think in london
Bottom line is i was given a better rate for a better sail plan then told to bugger off when i made a claim for a L strike.because i had installed a inner fore stay that they knew about to give me a better rate.............
so take your GOOD INSURANCE and your stories and .......well in the us be sure you do it ouside the 3 mile limit.
My Experence
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 15:08   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Do many companies still cover hurricanes in FL now? If so, they are probably a vanishing breed.
The good ones do.

Tags
insurance