Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 11:44   #1

Our Experience Chartering with Horizon, BVI

We just got back a week ago and they are the biggest crook's in the Caribbean! They lied to us and sent us out on an unsafe boat! Seriously. We will never charter with them again!
Old 13-11-2010, 12:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyengineer View Post
We just got back a week ago and they are the biggest crook's in the Caribbean! They lied to us and sent us out on an unsafe boat! Seriously. We will never charter with them again!
Who are "they"?

Old 13-11-2010, 14:07   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
sometimes you feel the need to take a tad of salt with some post when the poster had no history and no public profile or any information about them but only post is a bitter negative.... Maybe I'll just take a nice Rum...

of course anyone can be the exception and have a bad time but give me a break on the cried all the way home bit....

Hope some ight is shead on this "report"
Old 13-11-2010, 14:20   #4

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 43, Plan B
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyengineer View Post
Which company were you referring to? Sunsail/Moorings or Horizon?
Old 14-11-2010, 10:47   #5

Thumbs down Avoid Horizon Yacht Charters

Horizon Yacht Charter did not live up to their claims....they were unprofessional...the boat had serious issues...never again....Not with Horizon... anyone have other recommendations?
Old 14-11-2010, 11:29   #6

Grasspack / Horizon

I know you will enjoy sailing in the BVI ....its such a wonderful experience....and I truly hope your experience with Horizon is a great one.

Horizon did not come close to meeting the expectations of professionalism nor service that I had.

You would do your self a favor to be the one to double check everything.....for example dont ASSUME that the jib sheets are ACTUALLY tied to the jib....

I thought that one could safely assume certain things....on our first tack....we discovered the port side jib sheet was NOT EVEN TIED onto the Jib... we did not notice it as we unfurled the jib to sail.....wow...and this was just the beginning of our sail....

just double check everything.....dont assume anything!!!....

& have a wondertime time!!!
Old 14-11-2010, 14:31   #7

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 43, Plan B
Thanks. We made a reservation at Sunsail (at Tortola) for a week for the end of this month. If anything noteworthy, I will share it here.
Old 14-11-2010, 14:39   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post

Horizon did not come close to meeting the expectations of professionalism nor service that I had.

You would do your self a favor to be the one to double check everything.....for example dont ASSUME that the jib sheets are ACTUALLY tied to the jib....

I thought that one could safely assume certain things....on our first tack....we discovered the port side jib sheet was NOT EVEN TIED onto the Jib... we did not notice it as we unfurled the jib to sail.....wow...and this was just the beginning of our sail....

:
A jib sheet adrift and you're complaining???
Old 15-11-2010, 09:18   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevfik View Post
Thanks. We made a reservation at Sunsail (at Tortola) for a week for the end of this month. If anything noteworthy, I will share it here.
I'm sure you will enjoy it. Any boat can have issues, but I have found Moorings/Sunsail to be very professional and helpful.

Both our past charters we had issues. And both times it was fixed when/where it was conveinent for us and quickly. That's really all you can ask for with any charter.
Old 15-11-2010, 10:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A jib sheet adrift and you're complaining???
From the tone of SweetSerenity's post, I am thinking that was just the tip of the iceberg...
Old 15-11-2010, 11:22   #11

I tihnk one problem is that the charter companies rely on the previous charterers to inform them of issues. I suspect there are many that don't report any issues or problems and then those issues can get left for the next charterer.

It does make a good argument for sleeping aboard the night before however so you can do a full check on everything.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:43   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I tihnk one problem is that the charter companies rely on the previous charterers to inform them of issues. I suspect there are many that don't report any issues or problems and then those issues can get left for the next charterer.

It does make a good argument for sleeping aboard the night before however so you can do a full check on everything.
So.... if a person charters a boat for a week.. bashes up a load of stuff and leaves it in a barely seaworthy condition... but covers it up well... all the Charter Company does is bung on clean bedding, a quick hose down and thats it...
I turn up and have a crap time/nearly sink... its not their fault for poor maintainance/management... its all on the previous renter.... get real mate
Thats just sheer laziness and seriously bad management

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.... if a person charters a boat for a week.. bashes up a load of stuff and leaves it in a barely seaworthy condition... but covers it up well... all the Charter Company does is bung on clean bedding, a quick hose down and thats it...
I turn up and have a crap time/nearly sink... its not their fault for poor maintainance/management... its all on the previous renter.... get real mate
Thats just sheer laziness and seriously bad management
Tha'ts not at all what I said.

Major issues should be found by maintenance and if not, the charter company should be held responsible.

Smaller issues could more easily be missed. We're dealing with boats. Some things just won't be caught until they are used more heavily. I think a lot depends on how the charter company manages it as well.

As an example, say the generator kicks out after 6 hours continuous use for some reason? That's something that likely wouldn't be noticable in normal maintenance checks. So if noone reports it, it could go unresolved until someone finally does report it.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:56   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A good charter company will de-brief the charterer at the end of the charter and do an inspection. They should always inspect the sails. And the familiarization tour before setting out should always include unfurling and/or hoisting the sails. Most of the problems encountered on charter boats are engine or refrigeration related.
Old 15-11-2010, 12:22   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... all the Charter Company does is bung on clean bedding,
Nah. If you didn't get lucky they leave it as is.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread