Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 20:34   #1

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Lewmar winch handle - lifetime warranty? Guess not!

Had a Lewmar Titan winch handle fail (locking cam) .

Contacted Lewmar. Response was to buy a $30(+ shipping) repair kit to repair a $49 (west marine price) winch handle.

Not the end of the world. Not like I don't have other handles. Just shows lifetime doesn't mean lifetime apparently.

Sent them another email to see if they will comp the repair kit. We will see what happens.

Kinda surprised. So many other companies go above and beyond to ensure customers have good experiences with their products.

Still not as bad as my experience with KVH, another story for another time!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:34   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Lewmar winch handle - lifetime warranty? Guess not!

If you have any supporting document which indicates your product was covered under a lifetime full replacement warranty there should be no question you have a case.
If you have a supporting document which indicates your product has a lifetime warranty the repair kit would fulfill their obligation but it should be supplied at no cost to the original owner. If you are not the original purchaser of the product the lifetime warranty may very well not be transferable and they would be correct to charge for the repair kit.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 16:00   #3

Lewmar has little info on their site.

Just saw it in the description on WM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220605-185726_Chrome.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	259017  
Old 05-06-2022, 16:17   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

My experience with lewmar is that they will honour a warranty...if you pressure them hard enough. don't expect it to be easy though...

whether it's worth the trouble for a $49 winch handle only you can say (my issues was somewhat bigger)

cheers,
Old 05-06-2022, 16:33   #5

Not going to put a lot of effort into it. If i win great. If not, i know where i stand with them when i have to make a purchase decision
Old 05-06-2022, 17:04   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I note that the ad says "lifetime warranty against BREAKAGE". Yours does not seem to be broken, just worn. Perhaps that distinction is the basis for their reluctance to honor the claim.

Shabby, IMO, but to a bean counter quite reasonable.

Jim
Old 05-06-2022, 17:52   #7

Could be. At best it would be ambiguous. In contracts, it always goes in the favor of the party that did not draft the contract, which is what a warranty is.

To me, it is broken or it isn't. It is not usable now, to me, that is broken.

With no specifics, again, imo, ambiguous.

If it said excludes moving parts or something like that, it would be less ambiguous
Old 05-06-2022, 23:41   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I had a similar situation with Sitex. Bought a sounder that never worked properly from day 1. They swapped a read-out once before I took off cruising. I later told them it was still acting up while cruising. It had to be the transducer but would no longer swap out as it was out of warranty even though I had documented it with them on the phone prior. After pressuring them, they finally sold me a transducer at cost. As with everyone, I eventually upgrade my electronics from time to time. Do you think I will buy Sitex? Me thinks not.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:08   #9

Boat: O'Day 27 1978

I have often noticed that lifetime warranties are only effective for the lifetime of the object... not my lifetime.
Curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmugeon View Post
I have often noticed that lifetime warranties are only effective for the lifetime of the object... not my lifetime.
yup.. I couldn't find any actual text of the warranty..

However, Lewmar DID reach out and said the handle DID have a lifetime warranty, however, wants the receipt for proof of purchase. So that is something. I don't get if something has a lifetime warranty, that you need the receipt, other than to deny claims for people who don't keep receipts forever. However, I MIGHT have the receipt. Will have to look for it
Old 07-06-2022, 06:21   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

It is not unusual for “lifetime warranty” to not be transferable to subsequent owners, only the original owner with proof of purchase. Sears Roebuck taught the industry a lesson in being overly generous. It was one factor in their dramatic decline.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I had a similar situation with Sitex. Bought a sounder that never worked properly from day 1. They swapped a read-out once before I took off cruising. I later told them it was still acting up while cruising. It had to be the transducer but would no longer swap out as it was out of warranty even though I had documented it with them on the phone prior. After pressuring them, they finally sold me a transducer at cost. As with everyone, I eventually upgrade my electronics from time to time. Do you think I will buy Sitex? Me thinks not.
Yup, to me, service is the name of the game. With B&G, the tridata failed out of warranty, they replaced it no questions asked, as well as other companies doing their best to be reasonable. Balmar swapped out a 614 regulator that failed well out of warranty as well. Streamlight swapping out a spotlight no questions after 5+ years of use. I guess I am just used to good service!

KVH held my (under warranty) fluxgate hostage for payment when I suspected it was defective. It wasn't but wanted something like $150 bench fee for testing a non-defective unit.

I was just kind of surprised at Lewmar making me jump through hoops for such a low cost item. I would respect them more if they just had say a 5 year warranty instead of lifetime when they know people will not hold their receipts . Eh, not the end of the world. if I feel motivated, I will go look for the receipt.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Many warranties are against manufacturing defects. That way a lifetime warranty sound great but is only limited to defects in manufacturing. Most defects would be found in early use so a lifetime warranty is not much better than a 90 day warranty but sounds much better.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Clark View Post
Many warranties are against manufacturing defects. That way a lifetime warranty sound great but is only limited to defects in manufacturing. Most defects would be found in early use so a lifetime warranty is not much better than a 90 day warranty but sounds much better.

Capt Clark
yes, this warranty did state warranted against breakage. Yes that verbiage is often used to weasel out of a claim.
Old 07-06-2022, 16:03   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

My usual problem with winch handles is when one is dropped overboard. I don't expect anyones lifetime warranty to reverse my mistakes.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, winch