Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 11:40   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Best brand of tools for saltwater

I was given a set of cold chisels which we for use in a non sparking environment. One of the side benefits is they didn't rust ever. They spent many years in the pocket of my drysuit used weekly for diving. No idea what they were made from or were you would buy them, mine came from a friendly Armourer.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:54   #32

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
----- I've been using Craftsman for years, but the newer ones for the last 20 years or so are not great tools, but have a great guarantee! The wrenches appear to be just cheap Chinese made stuff with the Craftsman name. I know this because I have my Dad's ones from the 50's. They are much more closer fitting and better made.
For sockets I like to have a set of Deep sockets and I like most my sockets in 6 point which works better on rusty nuts etc.
The last couple of boats I have just bought a complete set of inexpensive tools that come in a nice case.... not the bottom of the line but not expensive either. Often a complete metric & inch set of wrenches with 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets is only $50 or less.
Yep.
I earned my living as a motorcycle mechanic in the 60's and used Craftsman hand tools exclusively. Back then they were equivalent to 75% of the best tools for 50% of the money. Currently they are ok, but not as good as they were.

Like Cheechako I've got a tool set (wrenches, sockets, and drives) in a plastic box, in which I keep a shop rag saturated with Corrosion Block. This tool set is by Stanley. I also have two other plastic boxes with assorted screwdrivers, pliers, etc., etc. They are also covered with a rag with Corrision Block. No problems.

I'd rather have my tools coated with a film of Corrosion Block (or similar) that I can wipe off if I need a better grip than try to keep them wiped dry in storage.
When I was a mechanic I used a machinist's tool chest, which had drawers lined with felt. I kept the felt slightly damp with a light weight oil which worked well in a non marine environment. Using them 5 days a week they didn't need extreme measures.
Old 22-04-2016, 12:49   #33

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If I'm using a tool where dropping it will be very inconvenient or worse - like overboard or under the engine - I sometimes tether it with a length of twine.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:52   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Some of the tools on my boat have been on boats (2) for 7 years and are fine. I never have had a tool fail from corrosion and I wouldn't even say corrosion has developed on them. And the tool box I keep them is isn't sealed of anything.
Well, yeah, if you're a dock queen and not out there really sailing, your tools probably do look brand new. For long distances, most folks will find themselves with tools that have taken a lot of abuse. Sometimes you just need to use the sawzall in heavy rains with ocean water dousing it and you. Guess you need to try ocean voyaging to understand.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I was given a set of cold chisels which we for use in a non sparking environment. One of the side benefits is they didn't rust ever. They spent many years in the pocket of my drysuit used weekly for diving. No idea what they were made from or were you would buy them, mine came from a friendly Armourer.

Pete
You might have miner's tools for operating in deep mines.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:14   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I have an old set of S&K tools and some Craftsman that are probably old enough to have grandchildren running around someplace. After a perfectly good looking no-name "lifetime warranty!" wrench busted, sending my knuckles into some sheet metal, I decided that tools from places like Horror Fright were strictly "disposable tools" and to be avoided whenever possible. Sure, they look fine. And I bought a HF set of deep sockets and a breaker bar T handle, not long ago, because I needed a "just in case" deep socket that would be stored on a machine and left there, just in case.

But given the usual quality control from HF and a lot of no-name importers? Hell, those foundries have been known to throw literally anything into their metal lots, and you never know what a particular tool was made of, or how well it was made. There's just no quality control.

Pete-
Your non-sparking non-corroding tools might very well be beryllium copper alloy, commonly used for that purpose in ordnance plants and around explosive vapors. The only problem is, when new they are damned expensive. And the beryllium is very toxic, so they can't be resharpened, etc. as they age. (Well, they can be...)
Marine aviation mechanics, who also sometimes have to work around petrol vapors and tend to be reluctant about explosions, also use them. Or common bronze for things like breaker bars or hammers.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:23   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Well, yeah, if you're a dock queen and not out there really sailing, your tools probably do look brand new. For long distances, most folks will find themselves with tools that have taken a lot of abuse. Sometimes you just need to use the sawzall in heavy rains with ocean water dousing it and you. Guess you need to try ocean voyaging to understand.
Thanks, I now know exactly what to do and it isn't about my tools or sailing
Old 22-04-2016, 18:51   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

For allens and crescent wrenches, stainless Beta from west marine. For SS adjustables xsscuba.
divezonescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:57   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
Craftsman or similar,

lightly coated with WD-40 and stored in an airtight pelican case.

Don't cheap out on the tools or the case....
Old ones if you can get them, I have decades old Craftsman wrenches aboard, still in great shape. I hear the newer ones are not as good.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 20:10   #40

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Magic 44ft

I truly appreciate all the input, and most of the answers gave me an insight that I had not even considered, how I stored them! it might be more important or just as than the actual quality....... It seems here in PR the difference from Craftsman to a cheaper brand is really not a lot of money so it seems reasonable to buy the higher grade. Snap on specially in ratchets seem attractive because they have more teeth in the ratchet, used one and difference on torgue was noticeable (if that makes sense), for the life of me I can't believe I was not considering how I stored them.....

Thanks for the input!!!

Edit: Apologies for taking so long to reply, been doing some a/c work and just got around to it

Dan
Old 22-04-2016, 20:30   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Many will tell you to buy cheap tools,

Don't, decent tools will outlast you
Yup, I would be one of them. It's amazing how may 1/2 inch wrenches become bottom litter, no matter how careful I am. Harbor Freight and pawn shops are my go to places; pawn shops for the better stuff
Old 22-04-2016, 20:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Can't resist an old high school joke.

-Why was Billy Jean King dropped as a spokeswoman for Craftsman tools?

-Because she liked Snap-On ones.

jajaja!
Old 22-04-2016, 20:46   #43

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Thanks, I now know exactly what to do and it isn't about my tools or sailing

sailorboy1, Handled a jerk with class, good on ya.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Well, the group responded but apparently have no info to provide re the subject. To the OP - I guess you're on your own for that. A quick check on the web revealed one such provider: Steritool Stainless Steel Open End Wrenches | Bosun Supplies

A quick look at these tools shows you why most folks here use regular tools and keep them clean, dry and oiled. You could buy a whole set of HF tools for the cost of one of these SS tools.

To dannc - did you even read the opening question? The OP specifically asked about non-power tools.

crazy prices!
Old 23-04-2016, 08:28   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Again, as noted, OLD Craftsman or Snap-on... After 30 years in the industry I could never afford cheap tools...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, water