Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2024, 13:57   #31

Re: All electric galley: bread machine

We've been loving our bread machine for about 10 years now...make dough about every 2 days....added a Breville Piazzioli 2 years ago...now we get neopolitan pizzas when ever. Not sure the power used but its less than the 6kw my Northern Lights puts out.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 23:07   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, artisan bread isn’t for the machine. We do that as well (I recommend Steve’s method for no knead bread, see )

But for a normal loaf of bread, used for toast or pressed in the griddle, the machine is quick and perfect and can do this while on passage.
Get a cat and you never have to qualify anything by anchored/berthed/moored or on passage!

This thread is awesome and it’s got me leaning towards buying a bread maker. Nothing fancy, but there are some available in local stores here (no can do to ship in from Amazon, etc unfortunately).
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 03:46   #33

I converted to electric propulsion in 2008 and used a 48 volt inverter to make bread in my mini Zojirushi HAC-10 it worked fine. Last year I bought a EcoFlow Delta Max 2000 Solar battery and now use it to make bread.

I love the smell of fresh bread in the morning. Smells like good living.
Old 15-02-2024, 07:54   #34

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

We have a Zorirushi BBC-HAC10 and hardly use it as we don't eat much bread. We have discussed selling it but weirdly we keep it just for making banana bread.

I haven't measured the power consumption. One negative is the settings are fixed. No custom times from what I have found.
Old 15-02-2024, 08:26   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
We have a Zorirushi BBC-HAC10 and hardly use it as we don't eat much bread. We have discussed selling it but weirdly we keep it just for making banana bread.

I haven't measured the power consumption. One negative is the settings are fixed. No custom times from what I have found.
That’s the tiny one that bakes a small loaf on its side… with one kneading paddle.

I have no experience with that one, but the 1lb loaf machine with horizontal pan does have all the programming etc.

I think you must have dough programs? Try it for pizza dough, it’s a winner

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 03:13   #36
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Made 2 French Sticks with Zero Amps used

Made the dough by hand and used my solar cooker to cook the French Sticks - They came up absolutely fantastic and the kids smashed them with just butter before they were even cold
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 03:16   #37
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post

I love the smell of fresh bread in the morning.
Reminds me of Apocalypse Now
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 05:12   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Made 2 French Sticks with Zero Amps used

Made the dough by hand and used my solar cooker to cook the French Sticks - They came up absolutely fantastic and the kids smashed them with just butter before they were even cold
Add marmite half way through. You have a 50/50 chance that something will be left for you and the Mrs.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 05:30   #39

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I'm installing electric oven, as a sucker for cooking can't live without one. Bet the energy comsumption is more than a bread machine but I intend to bake mostly when motoring 2kg/4lbs bread dought at one go, or 1kg/2lbs cinnamon rolls.. In a freezer they go (what's left after they rest and cool down) and some microwave radiation to make them "fresh" again.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 05:44   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I'm installing electric oven, as a sucker for cooking can't live without one. Bet the energy comsumption is more than a bread machine but I intend to bake mostly when motoring 2kg/4lbs bread dought at one go, or 1kg/2lbs cinnamon rolls.. In a freezer they go (what's left after they rest and cool down) and some microwave radiation to make them "fresh" again.
Portable convection ovens like from Breville are energy efficient but of course not as good as a bread machine which simply can’t be beat, not even by a solar oven for those with proper solar arrays.

I generated 10kWh solar power the other day, enough to bake more than 20 big loafs with the Zojirushi

Old 16-02-2024, 05:54   #41

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I haven't had good luck microwaving bread. Always comes out rubbery. Best I've been able to do is 15-20 seconds in the microwave. That doesn't seem to hurt them too much. But it's definitely not the same.

I recently bought a portable proofing/warming bag which probably doesn't take too much energy. My plan was to use it when transporting fresh bread to get-togethers. But it might work as a re-warmer, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 06:35   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I haven't had good luck microwaving bread. Always comes out rubbery. Best I've been able to do is 15-20 seconds in the microwave. That doesn't seem to hurt them too much. But it's definitely not the same.

I recently bought a portable proofing/warming bag which probably doesn't take too much energy. My plan was to use it when transporting fresh bread to get-togethers. But it might work as a re-warmer, too.
?? Microwave?! The Breville dough proofing is done using their “Pro” convection oven: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV9.../dp/B01N5UPTZS

See circled menu option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5158.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	286361  

Old 16-02-2024, 07:10   #43

Quote:
Portable convection ovens like from Breville are energy efficient but of course not as good as a bread machine which simply can’t be beat, not even by a solar oven for those with proper solar arrays.

I generated 10kWh solar power the other day, enough to bake more than 20 big loafs with the Zojirushi
No portable. Full size domestic appliance.
Old 16-02-2024, 07:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Needs smaller bread or even rolls. Big ones needs to be precut before freezing and then they freeze dry if frozen too long.
Old 16-02-2024, 09:33   #45

Quote:
That’s the tiny one that bakes a small loaf on its side… with one kneading paddle.

I have no experience with that one, but the 1lb loaf machine with horizontal pan does have all the programming etc.

I think you must have dough programs? Try it for pizza dough, it’s a winner
I think the Zorirushi BBC-HAC10 does have a dough mode. On my list of things is to try making some Pizza dough and cook it in a cast iron pan on the stove.

Tags
electric, galley