Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 21:59   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems?

HUMMM all ive ever used was West, Im gonna have to try something new, mostly use for new projects like cabinets, drawers, ect so don't need hugh amounts so mostly go to town to west marine. If I needed large amouts theres a couple of Cajun shipyards down the bayou that cut some GOOD deals on epoxy and sheet Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 04:15   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: A cheaper alternative to West Systems ?

I cut off the deck and recored a 40' boat using epoxies from fgci.com. I have also used West extensively. For small projects and general boat work I like West, but for larger projects and extensive rebuild, I like the epoxies from fgci because they are equal quality, but I can get specific chemistries, viscosities and mixing ratios to exactly match the work I am doing.

Plus, they are much less expensive than West.

Have you thought about vinylester?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 21:33   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The three major areas where I'm not tempted to go with the cheapest product:
1. cordage, especially halyards upon which I may be hoisted;
2. pumps, especially bilge pumps;
3. adhesives holding my boat together, especially epoxy.
I will say this: there are very few projects that I use epoxy on that are actually "holding my boat together". It is sometimes painful to pump out beau coup bucks just to do a small repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I cut off the deck and recored a 40' boat using epoxies from fgci.com. I have also used West extensively. For small projects and general boat work I like West, but for larger projects and extensive rebuild, I like the epoxies from fgci because they are equal quality, but I can get specific chemistries, viscosities and mixing ratios to exactly match the work I am doing.

Plus, they are much less expensive than West.

Have you thought about vinylester?

Mark
I haven't thought of it. One of the things I do really like about West Systems is that it doesn't out-gas like crazy, I even kind of like the smell. I am assuming that vinylester stinks because it has the word vinyl in it. I am a live aboard so I try to keep my projects as scentless as possible.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 22:10   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I will say this: there are very few projects that I use epoxy on that are actually "holding my boat together". It is sometimes painful to pump out beau coup bucks just to do a small repair.

I haven't thought of it. One of the things I do really like about West Systems is that it doesn't out-gas like crazy, I even kind of like the smell. I am assuming that vinylester stinks because it has the word vinyl in it. I am a live aboard so I try to keep my projects as scentless as possible.
Note that the mild smell which accompanies WEST and other amine based epoxies is very misleading. It is actually MUCH more toxic than the vastly more potent smelling vinylester or polyester resins. You are much more likely to go home with a case of cancer working with epoxy than any other resin system. Styrene monomer smells terrible but isn't all that bad for you, comparatively speaking. Wear your respirator and glove up triple deep. I know, I have used thousands of gallons of WEST and am skin sensitized. I know many people who have become respiratory sensitized and cannot be within a 100 yards of wet epoxy without breaking out in hives. You don't want to go there, it's no fun. I have been a yard safety officer for many years and am up on all the MSDS's.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 22:37   #20

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

+1 for U.S. Composites. Consider that there are a lot more brand names than there are manufacturers.
Old 17-02-2012, 04:38   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Note that the mild smell which accompanies WEST and other amine based epoxies is very misleading. It is actually MUCH more toxic than the vastly more potent smelling vinylester or polyester resins. You are much more likely to go home with a case of cancer working with epoxy than any other resin system. Styrene monomer smells terrible but isn't all that bad for you, comparatively speaking. Wear your respirator and glove up triple deep. I know, I have used thousands of gallons of WEST and am skin sensitized. I know many people who have become respiratory sensitized and cannot be within a 100 yards of wet epoxy without breaking out in hives. You don't want to go there, it's no fun. I have been a yard safety officer for many years and am up on all the MSDS's.
+1 on all of this. And I want to emphasis that you need a carbon-canister respirator, not just a face mask or spun-filter canister one. The activated carbon is the part that adsorbs the organic chemicals.

Vinylester has the same smell as polyester because styrene is used for both as the solvent and thinning agent for the polymers.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote