Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which countries restrict flare pistols on boats? (NOT a gun thread per se)

When I cleared into Darwin, Oz in 2012 I was asked that... "Have you a Very Pistol?"
Funny enough as no one asked me specifically in St Martin, Panama, Marquesas, Samoa or Vanuatu... and the form just said 'Any Weapons On Board'...
I answered No..
Well... its not a weapon.. once you leave Hollywood

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:43   #17

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: Which countries restrict flare pistols on boats? (NOT a gun thread per se)

Replacement of flares is a bit problematic. My flares where found to be out of date in the Tuamotos F.P.. I have not been able to replace them. I had an ocean shipment sent to Palau and since it already was going to contain hazmat (an aerosol can of T9) I tried to get west marine to carry some flares down the street in LA to the forwarder. They would not do this because of the hazmat issue. I have declared the flare pistol thru out the Caribbean and Pacific with no problems.
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 16:19   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
For Australia the rules changed last year in July.

The new legislation allows flare guns (when designed as an emergency signalling device)

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...egulations.pdf

Nice to see we are moving a little forward

Mark
Thanks Mark, and yes, it is nice to see something progressive for a change. I wonder if all the states have signed on to this rule change.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
When I cleared into Bermuda a few years ago, the agent asked if I had any weapons or ammunition on board, including flare guns. I did not, so I didn't find out what would have happened. I think it likely that a flare gun and the flares would have been confiscated, or at least held until we departed. SOLAS parachute flares were not an issue.
Bermuda takes flare guns and returns them when you check out. And, you have to check out when you are actually leaving, not before you fuel up etc. We have two flare guns we've turned in five or six times and never had a problem retrieving them.

Hannah
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:27   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

An interesting conundrum.

The USCG requires the use of a Visual Distress Signal (VDS), which many boaters (including me) obtain the applicable flare guns. In conversations with other boaters, many believe it is a requirement to have flare guns aboard.

That is not the case. There are a number of different VDS items that are approved for use, some for day time and some for both day and night. This BoatUS guide has videos on what is approved.

Flares and Distress Signals
Old 01-10-2014, 19:14   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
One reference I did see was that California, USA, does not consider flare guns to be firearms for most purposes, but seems to restrict carrying them in public or as a concealed weapon. It might be worth checking whether MD, NJ or NY, or cities such as New York City within these states do anything similar.

From the Cali Attorney General's web site:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

7. FLAREGUNS
A flaregun is any loaded or unloaded rocket, rocket propelled projectile launcher, or similar device designed primarily for emergency or distress-signaling purposes. (Penal Code § 12031.1.) Because a flaregun is not designed to be used as a weapon, generally it is not considered a firearm as defined in Penal Code sections 12001(a) and (b). However, the following prohibitions also apply to flareguns:
• prohibitions against carrying concealed firearms (Penal Code § 12025.); and
• prohibitions against carrying loaded firearms in public. (Penal Code § 12031.)
NOTE: Pursuant to Penal Code section 12031.1, a person may lawfully store a loaded or unloaded flaregun aboard a vessel or aircraft. A person may also possess a loaded or unloaded flaregun while in or traveling to and from a permitted hunting area, if the individual is carrying a valid California hunting permit or license.

Just wondering... if you were driving to your boat in a marina in, say, King Harbor, and an Los Angeles PD officer pulled you over and saw an "Orion 12 gauge locator" flare gun in the top of your West Marine shopping bag... or you allowed a search and the officer found it in the bottom of the bag.... could that be any sort of problem?
MICHIGAN:
I can transport any legal unloaded, cased, firearm in my vehicle. The ammunition must be separately located (not in the gun case). A nylon stocking constitutes a case. In my pickup; gun in a proper closed case, ammo in the bed. If you are stopped, and I have been, declare XYZ unloaded and cased gun in the back with ammo in the bed. "I am on my way to a duck hunt, shooting range, etc." Also, a flair LAUNCHER is not a GUN in this state. It need not ever be declared. If you call it a gun, you risk the wrath of ignorant enforcers.

OH - why the heck would you open the ORION blister-pack and leave it on the seat? I know it shouldn't matter. & Why the heck would you carry one in a public space? your pocket? Remember that small children have been ejected from school for chewing a Pop-Tart into a gun shape! Try common sense and hope for the same from the authorities.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:25   #22

Boat: Oyster 55

The only place in the Caribbean that I had to turn in my flare gun was Bonaire when they asked specifically..."Do you have a flare gun aboard?"
I said yes, turned it in and it was returned to me at departure.
No big deal but thought it strange at the time.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:47   #23

Sailed into Bermuda on a ketch that had been there before. Harbour Control or Harbour Master asked, "Do you still have the flare gun?" To the positive reply, "Please bring it ashore w/ you." Captain did, it got kept at Harbour Master's office, and he picked it up at our clearing-out visit. I think there was a paper receipt to show that they were holding it.

Don't know the rule, or whether it was UKian or just Bermudian. No hassle, but that's how it played July, 2004.
Old 02-10-2014, 20:12   #24

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

AFAIK, Trinidad is also keeping your flare guns while you are in their waters. I carry a flare launcher, not a flare "gun"
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11   #25

In Germany flare pistols are marked as weapons and civilians need weapon cards, but this card is different to weapon cards for shot guns. It's easier to get for sailors etc.
Flare pistols and rockets must be stored safe.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Why do you want one? A Very pistol is rubbish when compared to a SOLAS parachute flare.

A Very pistol is an effective close range weapon. My father, during Warsaw Rising, 70 years ago, killed a man with one.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:26   #27

Boat: Seafarer36c

Belize told us they are not permitted so just keep the flare gun out of sight.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:48   #28

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A Verey pistol requries a weapons permit i Denmark. Relatively easy to obtain.

I've never heard of a foreign boat being asked if they have one though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:26   #29

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Very Pistols are legal in Australia an no license is required.
Does anybody know where I can source one locally, is, within Australia. I don't buy off the internet so overseas purchase is not an option.
Thanks all.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:40   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
A Verey pistol requries a weapons permit i Denmark. Relatively easy to obtain.

I've never heard of a foreign boat being asked if they have one though.
You must be getting bored in the horse lats..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote