Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 10:52   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Safety Tips to Share

When money an issue, spend on the boat rather than on the rescue equipment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Thanks TW - Very clear and I agree.

Expectations from guests vs. crew are definitely different.

That's a good safety tip in itself.
^^ I've raced one-design, where falling off was nearly expected in a blow! Even dumped the wife (fiance' at the time) with a 15 knot pitch-pole once, but that was many years ago. She married me anyway. I should have told her to get her weight back, but I didn't want to yell at my pretty young thing. Later she told me I should have yelled.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:22   #33

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Safety tips to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
A quick key mike test on a working channel while monitoring on the handheld is a lot less annoying.
Unfortunately, this isn't sufficient. The other day, I heard perfectly all yachts in the area but I couldn't raise the local signal station on 16 nor the local marina on their working channel with the main radio. However, monitoring the key mike test with the handheld worked OK.

When I investigated, I found water in the antenna coaxial cable! I suppose it absorbed most of the power. I decided to change the whole cable. In the future, I intend to check the comms at least once a week.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:24   #34

For sailing and climbing, there is no more inclusive safety rule than "plan ahead."

For the single hander that means sorting things out at the dock, getting everything you need in place, and get the lines straight. Every sail change is planned. Movement on deck is planned. Nothing is done in a hurry, since that generally indicates a lack of planning. Everything is choreographed and should look easy to the observer.

Spontaneity is reserved until the anchor is down! Then you can get (just a little) stupid, just to unwind.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:30   #35

When singlehanding, how do you plan for the unexpected, for example people on other boats doing something stupid (an infinite array of possibilities)?

Alain
Old 10-07-2014, 17:48   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Safety tips to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Unfortunately, this isn't sufficient. The other day, I heard perfectly all yachts in the area but I couldn't raise the local signal station on 16 nor the local marina on their working channel with the main radio. However, monitoring the key mike test with the handheld worked OK.

When I investigated, I found water in the antenna coaxial cable! I suppose it absorbed most of the power. I decided to change the whole cable. In the future, I intend to check the comms at least once a week.

Alain
Thanks Alain.... I didn't know that.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 18:04   #37

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Had the same issue. Testing between two very close boats being Ok, but not being able to call at any range. Even without an antenna plugged in a vhf will often transmit a 100m or more.

As a simple test without cluttering airwaves sometimes you can trigger a repeater with a single click, and listen for the echoing tail of static. Doesnt test the voice modulation, but can confirm antenna function.
Old 10-07-2014, 18:16   #38

All of a sudden I have the urge to check out the rudder stock and the sat phone when I get back on board......
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 18:21   #39

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Safety tip.........Don't eat the yellow snow.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 19:42   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
When singlehanding, how do you plan for the unexpected, for example people on other boats doing something stupid (an infinite array of possibilities)?

Alain
You stay away from them. Outside this easy. In the harbor, same; if there is a trafic jam, hang back and wait for it to clear. Anchor out if need be.

If you truly need help, get help.

A singlehander always has time and avoids any situation that requies 2 people. I've never found this to be a problem.
Old 11-07-2014, 00:25   #41

Teach everyone on board how to use ch16 in case of an emergency. I have a sticker next to the radio with instructions.
Saltysailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 14:20   #42

Quote:
You stay away from them. Outside this easy.
This failed 2 years ago. A grandfather was sailing quietly in open water with his young grandson (equivalent to singlehanding) when their boat was rammed by a speedboat.

The collision was so violent that the anchor was thrown at the man and *beheaded* him. IIRC, the speedboat was a RIB with twin 250hp outboard engines.

Alain
Old 11-07-2014, 16:03   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gosh, what a horrible accident!

We have a friend who was injured last year when their dinghy was run over in the dark by a power boat who didn't see them. Extreme care for a view astern is recommended for evening dinghy usage.

And, I think it is a good idea to have retroreflective tape placed on your dinghy so that if a flashlight is shone towards it from any approach, the tape glows back at the light. Also can help you find it if it goes walkabout.

Ann
Old 11-07-2014, 17:09   #44

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

I was sailing on a tack and this small powered dingy crossed my path from the left and disappeared behind my sails. I was expecting him to reappear at the right but he disappeared. Looked around my sails and he anchored right in my path, back turned to me and setting up his fishing line. Don't know if he was setting me up for compensation or didn't have a clue where he was.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 18:07   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Gosh, what a horrible accident!

We have a friend who was injured last year when their dinghy was run over in the dark by a power boat who didn't see them. Extreme care for a view astern is recommended for evening dinghy usage.

And, I think it is a good idea to have retroreflective tape placed on your dinghy so that if a flashlight is shone towards it from any approach, the tape glows back at the light. Also can help you find it if it goes walkabout.

Ann
Was the dingy lighted, as required (even a row boat needs a flashlight)? I'm am always surprised at the number of dingies with no lights at night. Yes, I've seen folks stopped for that. If they were not lighted, they have little to blame. Not sayin' the speed boat wasn't going too fast for the conditions.

Tags
safety