Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2022, 14:00   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Lifeboat Tour Video (Cruise Ship Lifeboat), it's actually pretty cool!

Well hello to all,
Please have a look at this cool video of a cruise ship Life Boat Tour!

Unlike my usual long-winded radio / comms / electronics posts, this one is very short....and different.

I've sailed offshore for decades and over the years I've taken my share of "first aide" and "safety-at-sea" classes, including learning how-to deploy and board a life-raft, but I'm not a professional mariner....like most of us, just a pleasure sailor on our small yachts.

I've never been in a "life boat"....to be honest, I never gave them much thought....and, except for the scenes of inside their survival lifeboat in the Tom Hanks movie "Captain Phillips", my thoughts of life boats were more in the vein of the James Caird (Ernest Shackleton's Endurance's life boat).

So, when a friend sent me this link I wasn't sure what this had to do with my own sailing, but when I watched it, I was thrilled!
I was amazed at how big it is and how many people they'd put in there ( ~ 300!).
And, the wonderfully happy and pleasant gal doing the video is not getting paid to do this video....it turns out that she works in the retail shops on the Cruise Ship, and did this video (during her time off) for her Youtube Channel.

So, for those that are curious, have a look:

And, give the aspiring film-maker / you-tuber a "like"!

73, and Fair Winds to all,

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruise, cruise ship