Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 00:18   #76
cruiser

Re: Life Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Thank you Andy. this is informative.

so layering clothing keeps us warm in cold conditions, but the density of clothing changes when wet and becomes heavier, and each layer of clothing becomes added weight to the MOB?

i wonder how long it will be until someone comes up with foulies that are made out of a material that does not take on the density of water in the same way. i keep thinking of wetsuit material, but there is surely something out there... something lightweight and flexible

and perhaps the idea of the layering will evolve into that of sealed chambers or very small closed pockets of air sewn directly to the inside of the suit. i have the image of a bubble-wrap type of material...

would small pockets of air insulate in cold conditions and not take on water (nor its density) once submerged?

would small pockets of air like this be cool when the wind dies down and the sun comes out?

i wonder if foulies made this way could provide buoyancy and warmth to the MOB without adding weight...

thanks again!

wolfgal
It’s presently available and called a drysuit. I own and use one... it’s awesome.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:23   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Yes, a drysuit does this. It is amazing that being in freezing water is not just survivable, but actually comfortable, in a drysuit (but hands and head need to be protected separately). The air trapped inside insulates and provides buoyancy. Note however that if there is too much air in the legs, it can flip you upside down; also you might need more or less buoyancy to be able to swim, to float higher, etc. My drysuit is similar to Ken's, but it has an inflation tube that lets you blow it up and let air out of it as you like, in the water.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that you are "dragged down" by wet clothes, in the water. Water in water is weightless, so heavy clothes are not heavier, in the water. The clothes themselves may feel heavy (and that's one reason why a life jacket can save your life even if you are a strong swimmer), but not more so when wet.

And as was discussed -- it's a serious faff to get a drysuit on and off, and I can imagine even getting claustrophobic and overheated in one that can't be "opened up" like the Ocean Rodeo ones. The big downside to drysuits is that they are not much suited to casual, long term wear. I think I would put mine on only in extreme weather. So you need another solution for everyday use.

Maybe someone will invent a really lightweight one which is easier to wear.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:20   #78
cruiser

My Ocean Rodeo Ignite is very comfortable in moderate temps without the fleece one piece undergarment. With the fleece, it’s something very comfortable to wear all the time after the sun goes down when underway, so it’s always worn... not just in extreme conditions. I also wear lite neoprene gloves and Gill neoprene low or high booties. I stay very warm for long watches and/or to sleep in the cockpit. It’s no more difficult to put on than my Gill Ocean weather gear">foul weather gear.

Not sure why yours is something only worn in extreme conditions? I bought this outfit to use... not to just remain in a hanging locker.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:43   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My Ocean Rodeo Ignite is very comfortable in moderate temps without the fleece one piece undergarment. With the fleece, it’s something very comfortable to wear all the time after the sun goes down when underway, so it’s always worn... not just in extreme conditions. I also wear lite neoprene gloves and Gill neoprene low or high booties. I stay very warm for long watches and/or to sleep in the cockpit. It’s no more difficult to put on than my Gill Ocean foul weather gear.

Not sure why yours is something only worn in extreme conditions? I bought this outfit to use... not to just remain in a hanging locker.
I have the "Boss" model, which is for professional use, not sport. Maybe it is heavier than the Ignite.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 03-04-2019, 03:28   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have the "Boss" model, which is for professional use, not sport. Maybe it is heavier than the Ignite.
What good, and what use is it, if it’s too uncomfortable to wear except in only the most extreme conditions?

Why bother having it if it’s only use is taking up space in a hanging locker?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:16   #81
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Thank you Andy. this is informative.

so layering clothing keeps us warm in cold conditions, but the density of clothing changes when wet and becomes heavier, and each layer of clothing becomes added weight to the MOB?

i wonder how long it will be until someone comes up with foulies that are made out of a material that does not take on the density of water in the same way. i keep thinking of wetsuit material, but there is surely something out there... something lightweight and flexible

and perhaps the idea of the layering will evolve into that of sealed chambers or very small closed pockets of air sewn directly to the inside of the suit. i have the image of a bubble-wrap type of material...

would small pockets of air insulate in cold conditions and not take on water (nor its density) once submerged?

would small pockets of air like this be cool when the wind dies down and the sun comes out?

i wonder if foulies made this way could provide buoyancy and warmth to the MOB without adding weight...

thanks again!

wolfgal

Obviously, they do exist. They are worn by many thousands. But they have down sides as well.
https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...it/m-4915.aspx

A good portion of the trouble with swimming in foul weather gear is not the weight gain (which is minimal in water) but the bulk.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:38   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
A good portion of the trouble with swimming in foul weather gear is not the weight gain (which is minimal in water) but the bulk.

The added bulk of flotation suits is a pain - even doing normal things like in and out of the companionway. However they are a game changer for winter sailing so worth putting up with. Unless I was dinghy sailing or kayaking I wouldn't bother with a drysuit - just use a winter flotation suit. You can still wear a lifejacket over the top if you want an AIS beacon tether knife etc.
N1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:05   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Obviously, they do exist. They are worn by many thousands. But they have down sides as well.
https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...it/m-4915.aspx

Not nearly the same as a drysuit.

Just watch this fellow turn completely blue in a couple of minutes wearing it in cool water. Check out his hands, feet and face. I’m surprised they didn’t need to call for an ambulance.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:15   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

After some decades of wearing a drysuit for many hours at a time, I am a firm believer that they should either be worn and zipped up, or removed. No half measures because if you fall in with the suit unzipped or half worn then you are in trouble.

The other thought is what to do with old life jackets. The last pair we had got the sissor treatment and were cut to shreds after I saw an e bay advert for several jackets from Simpson Lawrence. They were a major UK chandlery supplier but went bust in 1998. I don't want an old life jacket being fished out of the marina skip and put to use.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:18   #85

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I never knew that 'bubble wrap suit' was a thing on the interweb...from a movie I did not see or something like that.

Public Service Reminder from the Minnesota DNR, full document is in the Great Lakes forum:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mn_dnr_lifejacket_fishfinder.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	189305  
Old 04-04-2019, 05:19   #86
cruiser

Which version did you get, the hydrostatic or the water pressure activated? I'm tending towards the water pressure model.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:04   #87

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Which version did you get, the hydrostatic or the water pressure activated? I'm tending towards the water pressure model.

You know, water pressure is hydrostatic.

They’re either hydrostatic, or moisture sensitive.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:33   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I bought the Pro Sensor ones -- with the dissolving pills.

Hammar (hydrostatic i.e. water pressure) is probably better, and I would have bought it if Joliffe's had had it, but not strictly necessary on a large boat where you're not getting doused with water all the time. The actuator is inside the jacket so it takes a pretty good dunking to set them off. I've been using the water sensitive ones for 10 years and only had one accidental release -- when someone left one under the spray hood, and it rained sideways overnight.
Walt Whitman
Old 04-04-2019, 09:35   #89

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We had a funny incident with a water sensitive pill type actuator a few years ago. We were at anchor in a beautiful little cove and our grown son and a girlfriend were paddling our inflatable double kayak looking at the sights. They saw star fish, an octopus and a good size shark. All of a sudden we heard frightened shouting and saw a lot of rapid paddling. It seems that rather than wearing the PDFs they were sitting on them and after splashing sufficient water into the kayak one of the PDFs inflated dramatically under the girl. It felt as though the shark had attacked from below. After the initial fright it led to a lot of laughter and a good story.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:15   #90

Boat: Maine Cat 38

The Spinlock 5d life jacket seems to have great features. I am not finding other brands with built in sprayhoods, lighting. Any competition in this class of jacket?
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote