Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 18:22   #1

Is too big a para anchor a problem ?

I have a opportunity to buy a fliorentino para anchor that’s pretty cheap and unused. I have s long keel 33 foot boat and the anchor is one size too large really (12ft instead of recommend 9ft)
Is this a problem or just more stopping power ?
Dunderbird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 17:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Is too big a para anchor a problem ?

Others will disagree I’m sure, but I don’t see the problem.
Parachute anchors unlike a drogue allow very little movement through the water.
Just my unprofessional opinion.

Maybe call the chute manufacturer and ask them if it would be OK?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 17:23   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

It'll make the boat's motion a lot jerkier (which might also increase risk of chafing lines) when deployed and will probably be more difficult to set and retrieve.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is too big a para anchor a problem ?

My plan if Lord forbid I ever have to set the thing is to let out 300’ of rode, and 100’ of anchor chain.
The hope is that the rode will always be in the water and can’t overheat or chafe, the anchor chain should deal with any chafe, and of course I already have a “system” of ensuring the chain is very securely attached to the boat.
I plan on tieing the chain to the roller so that is can’t be pulled up and out of the roller.
Old 08-05-2018, 18:27   #5

Thanks guys. Its an absolute bargain at $200 unused so I’ll give it a test and see what happens
Old 08-05-2018, 19:20   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunderbird2 View Post
I have a opportunity to buy a fliorentino para anchor that’s pretty cheap and unused. I have s long keel 33 foot boat and the anchor is one size too large really (12ft instead of recommend 9ft)
Is this a problem or just more stopping power ?
The only disadvantage of being a bit large is that if deployed off of a bridle, the ideal sideways leeway through the water that creates a wave killing slick will be reduced, and less effective.
Old 08-05-2018, 19:35   #7

Yeah that’s a good point. That’s the way I would like to deploy it too. My boat has a cut away forefoot and is hard too get to heave to at a good angle. Hence the para
Old 08-05-2018, 20:57   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Given that Paratech suggests 15 feet for that boat, I think you are fine.

Read the Drag Devise Data Base. I think you will find that sea anchors that are small enough to move through the water at more than a fraction of a knot have proven unstable and prone to inversion when the speed changes. The huge ball of water inside the anchor just keeps going, inverting the chute.

I've tested sea anchors and drogues quite a bit. Drogues are for slowing, sea anchors are for stopping. The notion that there will be ANY difference in feel between a 9' anchor that moves at 0.6 knot and a 12' anchor that moves at 0.4 knot is doubtful. Any difference in feel will be related to the rode. The notion that you WANT the boat to get sideways is just odd.
Old 08-05-2018, 21:33   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Using a chute as a sea anchor to stop the boat is one thing, using one as an aide to heaving to as Pardey promotes is quite another. His technique employed a small chute, one not large enough to stop the boat in her tracks. IIRC his was a surplus drag chute from some military application, and only 6 feet or so in diameter.

If your intention is to emulate Pardey, perhaps the bargain chute is indeed too large.

Jim
Old 09-05-2018, 01:25   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
of course I already have a “system” of ensuring the chain is very securely attached to the boat.
I plan on tieing the chain to the roller so that is can’t be pulled up and out of the roller.
You want that thing off the bow roller... it isn't that strong. Snub it to a cleat or samson post like you would while anchoring.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:52   #11

Yep all good points. I’m a short 2 hour sail from the southern ocean so I guess I’ll go out one day in 20 odd knots and see what happens. I’m kinda happy to have a crack both ways. It’s going to be better than nothing or heaving to at 110 apparent which is what it likes to do
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Cant see it as a problem. Only used one once in a gale & it was really hard to retrieve as collapsing/retrieval line had fouled. Dont know if this is a common problem. We had to cut many lines to collapse it as we had no time to waste with a crewman with a crushed leg on board.It's a bargain! Frm memory ( dodgy ) slowed our drift to 1 knt in 35 gusting 50 knts maybe 6 metre swells
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:17   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Cant see it as a problem. Only used one once in a gale & it was really hard to retrieve as collapsing/retrieval line had fouled. Dont know if this is a common problem. We had to cut many lines to collapse it as we had no time to waste with a crewman with a crushed leg on board.It's a bargain! Frm memory ( dodgy ) slowed our drift to 1 knt in 35 gusting 50 knts maybe 6 metre swells
This is why you don't use a full retieval line. They often foul. All you want is a float on the apex with a short (5 meter?) floating line and smaller float on the end. You motor up to that from the side, snag it with a boat hook, and pull it on-board backwards. I've done this many times.

Full retrieval lines are only for parking overnight for rest or to wait to fish in the morning. Not for storms.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
You want that thing off the bow roller... it isn't that strong. Snub it to a cleat or samson post like you would while anchoring.

If ever used, it will be snubbed exactly like being anchored. Of course the chain will run through the bow roller.
However I assume due to wave action that is may be possible to have the chain lift and come off of the bow roller, so the only thing I would accomplish by tying it to the roller is to keep the chain from being lifted out, the tie will take no strain other than that.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:26   #15

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

You may want to give Fiorentino a call. They tend to size their chutes smaller than other manufacturers. I spoke with Zack about this at a boatshow once and got the impression that the idea is to keep the chute moving through the water to avoid collapsing.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor