Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 10:29   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Is it possible to cruise with crew disabled by health problems?

It probably sounds like a no-brainer statement on my part but yes...if you quit smoking...many things will change for the positive. You are probably aware of the chemicals and toxins in cigarettes. I know when I was on blood pressure meds, my sleep was terrible and I had a total of 16 out of 20 side-effects from the medication. After 2 years of that, I became a vegetarian, stopped the meds and exercised. My numbers are all normal now and I have so much more energy.
Regarding your experience. If you just want to hang out on a boat and do small adventures, that would be a way to start. If you have the money for fuel, a powerboat would be a good choice. They are cheap now with gas prices and the economy the way it is now.
I'd say just go for it but use baby steps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:40   #32

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

GO FOR IT. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone, my husband has fibromyalgia, high cholesterol, arthritis, sleep apnea, etc. etc.

We plan to purchase in 2-3 years and hopefully leave a year after that. Women sail single handed all over the world. So we are fortunate to have husbands with us that can give us advice on maintenance.

Write everything down that you do and take pictures, document and organize maintenance procedures (good idea to do the work yourself, even if your husband can do it, so that you have the practice) -- You remember more by doing yourself than just watching. Do not want to be in a position if something happens to the husband that you have to leave the boat.

When retired if the husband has a bad day or several ones, wait two or three weeks for the next weather window if you don't want to do the sailing by yourself. What's the rush.

Medivac insurance might be a good idea and budget more dollars for the husband to fly home for medical tests, etc. to see his doctor more often than other people.

water sailing">Blue water sailing school in St. Thomas has classes where you sleep on the boat at anchor or mooring for a week while learning to sail. Good experience to make sure not too claustrophobic on the boat and that you can handle what is required for some basic sailing. Costs about $4,000 for a couple plus misc. expenses and air fare so it is not cheap, but others are a lot more expensive. Includes most meals. My husband and I plan to do that next March.

Don't let anyone convince you that YOU cannot do it just because you are female and not a man.

When you reach 80 years of age, you don't want to be the person who says I wish I had . . . .

Hope to see you out there someday, will be interesting to compare notes.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:52   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Luna,

"In Training"'s advice above (post #32) seems to me to all be excellent advice. Well done! In fact, you've been quite fortunate here, mostly all good!

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, NSW
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 04:06   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Short answer = yes

Long answer = depends (but that same for everyone!).

The big question is will it be enjoyable (same as for everyone).

Will it always be enjoyable? - No! (Same as for everyone!).

The point I would seek to address is how your husbands health can cope with the unenjoyable / challenging - and the answer to that is how you tailor your plans to accomadate. In practice likely means thinking ahead on where and how long you will be places, with you taking on the role if not of Skipper (although no reason why not) then of a very able first mate who can step into that role if needed - even if only as "support". Also not biting off more than you can both chew from the getgo (i.e. leave rounding Cape Horn until the second week ). Budget will also play a part - that also helpful in widening the scope for bringing on extra crew as and when needed for longer passages (same as for everyone), whether or not husband is onboard for those (or even you!).

The plus of a boat is that can be empowering by being in control of own immediate world (of course that can also go the other way!), plus never far from somewhere to sit down (or snooze!), never far to walk and plenty of handholds (same as for everyone).....downside is that one can get trapped onboard, both mentally and / or physically - own little world of comfort can be a prison....but each has to address that.

To get started, rather than buying a boat blind (i.e. without knowing if it is doable / enjoyable) could go on a Charter (by selves or with others) - obviously a cost to that, whether somewhere warm or locally. Alternatively (or ideally as well as) get freindly with folks locally and go the OPB (Other People's Boats) route a few times simply to see whether you are both in the ballpark (OPB's won't be perfect for you both - but would allow you to see if a boat / cruising could work). The more experiance you can both get before starting your own adventure the better, both on what works for you - and what doesn't.....and that also the same as for everyone else!

Anyway, keep us all posted on how things progress .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 08:59   #35

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Well put, DOJ... CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 15:32   #36

No one I know owns a boat, other than a fishing boat. I live in the middle of Ohio, not many sailors here. So, I will try a chartered trip (once I save the money) to decide if this idea is workable. If that trip goes well, we will take a sailing course. If we make it through that, we will start planning.

The reason we need to wait 6 yrs for this, as my last child will graduate from high school then. And it gives me time to get published and hopefully start making money from that.

I don't have a problem with making cosmetic fixes, but have not experience with more extreme fixes. The boat doesn't need to be big, but it does need to be a blue water boat. I want a sailboat just for the cost of running it will be so much less. I know a motorboat tends to be more "comfortable" and easier to captain, but I'm looking at cost. I hope to keep monthly costs low because as a writer, I will never know how much monthly money I'll be making.

I do appreciate everyone's replies. You gave me so much to think on and a place to start planning.
lunadragnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 15:39   #37

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadragnstar View Post
No one I know owns a boat, other than a fishing boat. I live in the middle of Ohio, not many sailors here. So, I will try a chartered trip (once I save the money) to decide if this idea is workable. If that trip goes well, we will take a sailing course. If we make it through that, we will start planning.

The reason we need to wait 6 yrs for this, as my last child will graduate from high school then. And it gives me time to get published and hopefully start making money from that.

I don't have a problem with making cosmetic fixes, but have not experience with more extreme fixes. The boat doesn't need to be big, but it does need to be a blue water boat. I want a sailboat just for the cost of running it will be so much less. I know a motorboat tends to be more "comfortable" and easier to captain, but I'm looking at cost. I hope to keep monthly costs low because as a writer, I will never know how much monthly money I'll be making.

I do appreciate everyone's replies. You gave me so much to think on and a place to start planning.

you WANT a bluewater boat but have no experience in blue water. A couple of week courses will NOT prepare you for bluewater. Are you going to Bermuda and back or across the atlantic??

Reconsider this. Do the loop for a year on a trawler then go to a bluewater boat. You need MORE experience in fixing major things. Stay inland for a year or so then consider the bahamas and the islands.

Do what you want,,,, but what you want is not always what you need.
No reason for bluewater boat if you are not going bluewater. If staying inland no need for a sailboat with a mast. cost will be about the same for a slow trawler and a bluewater sailboat that stays in the icw
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 17:31   #38

take a look here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-81834.html
Old 19-05-2012, 18:29   #39

Oh, I don't plan on going into blue water for quiet a while but I do want to have that as an option. I figure after we take the course, then we would just go out on day cruises or such until we get used to the boat. After we get more comfortable then maybe do an overnight. I would also like to do day hops down the coast and even along the Gulf Coast. Only then will we do a Bahamas trip. I know that I don't have the experience to just jump right in and go into blue water. But eventually I would like to do an Atlantic crossing.

Oh and I really don't want a large boat like the 50 footer. It will only be for me and hubby and a couple small dogs
Old 19-05-2012, 19:09   #40

every thing you said was COASTAL NOT bluewater. bahamas is NOT bluewater, coastal boat will do. that is were experience comes in
Old 19-05-2012, 19:12   #41

I just want to be able to do blue water at a later date so that I can cross the Atlantic one day. That is my goal (eventually)
Old 19-05-2012, 19:17   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

As far as sleep apnea goes I can recommend the De Vilbiss. Quiet and runs well on 12V.

You'll need somewhere to keep the machine secure and a 12V cigarette lighter outlet (not difficult to wire) to plug into together with duct tape to keep the 12V plug from falling out of the back of the machine.

If I were in your place I'd get a smaller trawler and check out some of the great loop now. 6 years is a long time in the future.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 02:11   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadragnstar View Post
I just want to be able to do blue water at a later date so that I can cross the Atlantic one day. That is my goal (eventually)
Some boats will be entirely unsuitable - but perfect for use elsewhere.

Some boats will be perfect for going blue water - but a PITA elsewhere.

But most boats will be somewhere in the middle. somewhere.

Apart from not being entirely unsuitable , the main thing that makes a Blue Water boat is a Blue Water skipper, plus the boat being well prepared - both in some equipment (albeit don't need "everything") and in maintanence.

In your case will have squillion options to choose from, but the thing I would caution against is buying now something that would be perfect for blue water - but is not so ideal in design for your intended first use (years?), especially as may never happen (nothing wrong with that - better boat plans don't have to involve going Blue Water). By that I am talking about not buying something you would be comfortable on rounding cape horn in winter - with the layout and keel depth to match, when in reality your life is spent mostly anchored up lounging around sipping a few beers whilst admiring the sunset.....and there ain't nothing wrong with that .......but nonetheless not ruling out future options does make sense.

Boats is all about choices and compromises......and money also usually a major factor in those.
Old 20-05-2012, 02:57   #44

Now lets start the debate on what is a bluewater cruiser.
Old 20-05-2012, 06:22   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Now lets start the debate on what is a bluewater cruiser.
It's a boat you are still happy to be on, when the world goes all t#ts up (weather and / or events) - and you can't duck into a safe port.

Tags
crew, cruise, health