Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 12:57   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
Re: Is it just me or this is a terrible idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Actually, it is not clear what the OP was asking about: the windlass or the LPG installation.

Well the question was if stuffing explosives in the part of the boat that sees the most action was really „ok“ or if my fears are unfounded.

But the point about electric motors potential for „sparkiness“ kind of settles it for me...
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 13:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Well the question was if stuffing explosives in the part of the boat that sees the most action was really „ok“ or if my fears are unfounded.

But the point about electric motors potential for „sparkiness“ kind of settles it for me...
ruptured propane/ natural gas tanks won't auto ignite.
The motor for the windlass does appear to be located in a different space from the tanks.
Old 20-11-2017, 04:41   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
snip
This is the only part that bothers me. Yes there is a drain down low, but what if the leak is major and the compartment reaches an explosive concentration of air/gas? Activate the windlass and kaboom
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 07:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
This is the only part that bothers me. Yes there is a drain down low, but what if the leak is major and the compartment reaches an explosive concentration of air/gas? Activate the windlass and kaboom
the windlass is not in the chain locker it is in its own compartment just aft of the locker. (See the first post and picture)
Old 20-11-2017, 08:31   #5

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"For a small boat with limited chain storage, it is essential to be able to knock the chain tower over unless you are the kind of person that only has a few feet of chain at the anchor. I have somewhere around 150 ft with rode after that and if I couldn't knock the tower over it would never fit. I sure as heck don't want to go to the back of the boat, go inside to the front, knock the chain tower over, go back to the back get on top and walk back to the front to bring in another ten feet before repeating the exercise!"

Oh I dunno! Helps keep you fit! On my boat its only once per anchor lift, but I am considering cutting a hole in my foredeck to fit a say 10 inch circular hatch to let me reach down to knock over the chain stack. Should be possible to reinforce the deck so its strong enough. Its on my "to-do" list but keeps getting demoted by higher priorities...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 21:57   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
the windlass is not in the chain locker it is in its own compartment just aft of the locker. (See the first post and picture)
Are you really sure of that? I've seen these were the windlass mounting is just an arch. How else are you going to clean the chain locker, secure the end, and knock over the pile? Additionally, now the propane has another compartment to fill (the hause pipe is hardly gas-tight.

No, I think the compartment we are looking at is the chain locker and you simply arn't seeing the chain.

Tags
rib