Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 11:07   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Immersion Suits - Something to Think About

Even a liferaft with insulated floor will quickly suck the energy out of its occupants in these cold PNW waters; wearing a drysuit inside greatly extends survival times. From what I have seen SAR efforts are continued longer when it is known that drysuits are in the equation. Personally I added a note to my EPIRB registration that drysuits are aboard so that potential rescuers know that.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:56   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I like the dry suit idea as standard inventry fare for any boat in any waters.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 13:05   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We have been pricing immersion suits in preparation for going north soon (I hope). Immersion suits are on the "must have" list, but boy are they spendy.

We were talking to one of the commercial fishermen and it turns out he is not only required to have them, but also replace them every couple of years (SOLAS regulations) and he has to buy new this year. The old ones (3-5 years old, can't remember) have never been used other than his drill teaching crew how to put them on.

So, we're buying 3 almost brand new immersion suits for US$75 each (we already have one). I have done just a little research and it seems that the material should be good for at least another 3-5 years. This has saved us a ton of money and I don't think our lives will be at risk because of they're not brand brand new.
It's better than going offshore with nothing and now I can buy a better EPIRB.

Just a thought for budget constrained cold water sailors - I'm pretty happy about this.
Hi Redhead,

Being long time sea kayaking enthusiasts, we are firmly in the breathable drysuit camp.

We currently have one-piece Kokatat Goretex suits with one-piece 300 weight fleece long johns for under. Thin and very comfortable. Harnesses and PFDs still fit well.

These can be donned in a hurry, but necessitate removing bulky clothing first- unlike Gumby suits...

If I were in the drysuit market today, I would start with an excellent resource in your area: Kayak Academy. Absolutely first rate. Check out the latest Kokatat designs. [No affiliation...]

I would also explore a fairly new hybrid design drysuit/foul wx gear from Ocean Rodeo Sports: the Ignite.

All will run around US$1k and more, but will be useful for much more than just abandoning ship... and take less storage space...

In case this approach is of interest.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 12-04-2016, 21:02   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Types of suits-terminology

Immersion Suit (Gumby) Almost impossible to work in or wear on the boat. It is stored on the upper deck,ready to don if you PLAN to go in the water. It is waterproof-a real dry suit.It will protect you from hypothermia from cold water for a day or more.
https://mustangsurvival.com//recreat...ion=recreation

Putting an immersion suit on

DECK SUIT a one piece working,wearable deck suit-sometimes called a survival suit. It is rainproof but not waterproof in the water. It is NOT a dry suit. You wear this on the boat & if you ACCIDENTALLY fall in the water,you have flotation & some protection against cold water for up to several hrs. These are available in 2 piece bib overalls plus separate coat.The 2 piece version is more practical,because you can remove the jacket during warm part of day or to go below.
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recre...185?country=23
Old 13-04-2016, 00:16   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We have been pricing immersion suits in preparation for going north soon (I hope). Immersion suits are on the "must have" list, but boy are they spendy.

We were talking to one of the commercial fishermen and it turns out he is not only required to have them, but also replace them every couple of years (SOLAS regulations) and he has to buy new this year. The old ones (3-5 years old, can't remember) have never been used other than his drill teaching crew how to put them on.

So, we're buying 3 almost brand new immersion suits for US$75 each (we already have one). I have done just a little research and it seems that the material should be good for at least another 3-5 years. This has saved us a ton of money and I don't think our lives will be at risk because of they're not brand brand new.
It's better than going offshore with nothing and now I can buy a better EPIRB.

Just a thought for budget constrained cold water sailors - I'm pretty happy about this.

I've made this exact post several times before. Your research must not have been done here on CF.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote