Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 07:38   #226

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

Regarding .44 mag, I wish I could hit something with one of those. I tried once, shooting at a tin can only about 20’ away and when I gave up after a few shots and with a sore hand, the can was still undisturbed.
Old 27-01-2018, 07:49   #227
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

Have you tried the classic double handed 'Hollywood Racing Dump Stance'..

Just kidding..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
Old 07-04-2018, 18:21   #228

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Firing a shotgun shell from a flare gun -warning

If you've ever wondered what would happen fring a 12 gage shell from a flare gun.

https://youtu.be/WjVw1_H3wXM
Old 07-04-2018, 19:18   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Regarding .44 mag, I wish I could hit something with one of those. I tried once, shooting at a tin can only about 20’ away and when I gave up after a few shots and with a sore hand, the can was still undisturbed.
Practice. Practice. Practice. The caliber has little bearing on ability. I just watched a gal on youtube nail an egg at 300 yards with a .22, a target you cant even see with the naked eye. In another video, a gal shot bullseyes at (50 yards, was it?) with three different gauges of shotguns which is impressive considering smoothbores. Point being, its first learning how to shoot correctly, then practicing good learning, thats it.

Those were rifles. In handgun shooting, and we are talking about barrels of normal length, not snub nose or something, you start at 1 yard, then 2, then 5, then then then all the way up. Its learning well and practicing.
Old 07-04-2018, 19:21   #230

Do any of you stock guns for piracy defense? If so, what, and what damage do you intend to do in defense of yourself and boat?
Old 07-04-2018, 19:58   #231

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I carry a 12 Gauge Remington Pump, no plug, OOBuck, AR15 w Armor piercing ammo, 9 MM Semi-Auto Pistol when cruising. Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 07-04-2018, 20:17   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I carry a 12 Gauge Remington Pump, no plug, OOBuck, AR15 w Armor piercing ammo, 9 MM Semi-Auto Pistol when cruising. Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Cocked locked and ready to rock A firearm is no different than a hammer or screwdriver the right tool for the right job plain and simple
Old 08-04-2018, 02:12   #233

Ive had guns all along and had it not been for piracy I wouldnt have figured to have guns aboard.

1) Im not cruising yet but I'll put a pistol every five feet about the cabin.
2) I will also carry Mosin-Nagant and other rifles in that range with the idea Im going to send rounds through the opposition's hull from a distance so that they figure its wiser to deal with their leaks than me.
3) People approaching boats may not realize the awkward position they are putting other boats in. My case, unless invited you shouldnt come near; if you are not heeding any signal to veer off, i'll open fire.
4) They may be armed too. Alertness, quickness and distance will be the only friend and sorry in advance if I got you wrong. To the extent I have any choice in the matter, i wont be the one to die on a boat or the one wondering how to swim 500 miles back to land.
5) Have cannon been discussed on this forum before? Im having a deja vu.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:34   #234

Boat: Leopard 39

Unless you are prepared to take a gun safety course and learn the weapon in advance, I would advise against having one for your trip to Greenland, or anywhere else.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:23   #235

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Unless you are prepared to take a gun safety course and learn the weapon in advance, I would advise against having one for your trip to Greenland, or anywhere else.
If you read the thread, you would know that we are OBLIGATED to have guns.

And naturally, practice and specific training in polar bear defence is on the agenda.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 08-04-2018, 05:36   #236

Boat: Catalina 30

I would get 2 firearms.

The Rem 870 12 gauge shotgun for if a bear gets close and have a second member have a 30-06 or larger bolt action. Personally I would go for a semi-auto like a M1 Garand and have 8 30-06 in the magazine because well you are shooting at a charging bear and may just miss the first shot, who wants to work a bolt and loos their sight picture in that situation.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:20   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
I would get 2 firearms.

The Rem 870 12 gauge shotgun for if a bear gets close and have a second member have a 30-06 or larger bolt action. Personally I would go for a semi-auto like a M1 Garand and have 8 30-06 in the magazine because well you are shooting at a charging bear and may just miss the first shot, who wants to work a bolt and loos their sight picture in that situation.
We did a lot of research on this.

It looks like we will have THREE guns on board -- a 45-70 big game rifle, and two autoloading 12 gauge shotguns. One of the 12 gauges will have a few rounds of bear bangers in it ahead of the magnum slugs. So there will be three armed people in each shore party.

I think not relying on one rifleman with one gun greatly increases our chances.

Obviously Plan "A" is not to let a bear get close enough to be a threat, and Plan "B" is to scare one away if it does get too close. But if we do need Plan "C", we will have overwhelming firepower, which is always the best way to deal with a violent situation, if it's an available option.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 08-04-2018, 06:31   #238
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We did a lot of research on this.

It looks like we will have THREE guns on board -- a 45-70 big game rifle, and two autoloading 12 gauge shotguns. One of the 12 gauges will have a few rounds of bear bangers in it ahead of the magnum slugs. So there will be three armed people in each shore party.

I think not relying on one rifleman with one gun greatly increases our chances.

Obviously Plan "A" is not to let a bear get close enough to be a threat, and Plan "B" is to scare one away if it does get too close. But if we do need Plan "C", we will have overwhelming firepower, which is always the best way to deal with a violent situation, if it's an available option.

Sounds like a good plan.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:01   #239

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
I would get 2 firearms.

The M1 Garand does not have a magazine, but it does hold six rounds in a clip. While polar bears can swim well (as can their cousins) I doubt they "charge" while doing so. I suppose they might attempt to board (new thread: how to block off that convenient sugar scoop stern?). Maybe someone with actual knowledge can address how to repel a boarding bear.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:45   #240

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
The M1 Garand does not have a magazine, but it does hold six rounds in a clip. While polar bears can swim well (as can their cousins) I doubt they "charge" while doing so. I suppose they might attempt to board (new thread: how to block off that convenient sugar scoop stern?). Maybe someone with actual knowledge can address how to repel a boarding bear.
The M1 Garand is an excellent weapon. I thought it carried eight rounds but regardless, I love mine.

On a different note, the bears will attempt especially if encouraged like these people did. I'm thinking this is perhaps not the best idea.

Here's a different encounter that was not encourage. My only question is how they returned to the vessel. I am guessing they had a second dinghy.
Closed Thread