Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 11:27   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Foul Weather Gear for All Season--No Such Thing?

I'm frankly amused when I see folks wearing the same weather gear">foul weather gear in summer, fall, and winter. Yes, they probably have different under layers, but it still doesn't make sense to me. I have multiple sets and they keep me very comfortable.

Summer (>70F)
* Hot. Maybe I just get wet. I'm wearing board shorts, so the that doesn't matter. I might pull on a light waterproof pull-over jacket and certainly a hat.
* A little cooler. I have light Goretex hiking-type rainwear. Layers if needed.

Fall 45-70F)
* Wind only. Windbreaker top and bottom. These are reasonably water repellent, enough for occasional spray. I also have spare clothes on board.
* Rain. Either the light rain gear or the more standard rain gear. Depends on how much rain.
* Rain and lotsa wind. Dry suit. No leaks anywhere. Full agility.

Winter (near freezing)
*Wind only. Still mountaineering gear, but a little heavier. Soft shells or wind gear.
* Rain. Standard rain gear.
* Rain and lotsa wind. Stay home. But seriously, a dry suit. Falling in is deadly and full rain gear makes it too hard to move in rough conditions.

-----

So why do folks were the same rain gear all the time? It ain't the money.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:39   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Foul Weather Gear for All Season--No Such Thing?

It depends on the area where one is sailing. Where I usually cruise, I wear foul weather gear not only against rain but also against wind, spray and green water.

In winter, I would like to wear a soft shell in cold, windy and dry conditions but it's difficult to find one with enough room in the sleeves for layering clothes.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46   #3

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Well, it is definitely much more desirable to have a half dozen of Porsche 911 in different colors, so that one can match the color of the 911 to their Polo shirt.

I just can't stand these people driving around town with their Porsche that does not match the color of their shirt. How rude!!! :P
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49   #4

I guess I'm one of the amusing people. I prefer to layer and think the exterior layer is only there to be a water barrier.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather