Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 15:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
ssullivan once whispered in the wind:
That's exactly what I hear, Paul.

Question: Is there anything you do when you go down below. I mean say you have on your perscription sunglasses, and there is a problem with the engine, or something below requires your immediate attention. Given that you are using prescription sunglasses, when you go below, you can't see anything, right?

Do you just keep another pair of glasses handy below, where you don't have to hunt for them?

I am leaning toward the prescription sunglasses solution myself, but was worried about not being able to see after being out in the sun and moving into a dark area.

Thanks,
I am totally unable to function without corrective glasses. I carry both pairs plus a backup regular with clip on sunglass backups. My clear vision extends about 8 inches from my nose. I know I could not dock the boat without my glasses. Mostly because I don't think I could even find the slip let alone see it.

I can go below for basic stuff with the shades on. I can't look down into the bilge though. I switch when I have to. I also use a safety strap around the back of my glasses so they don't blow / fall off. I aslo like a billed hat as well for my face. The nose takes a lot of abuse too.

The refelction off the water is just too strong. Without shades you feel it in the backs of your eyebqalls burn at the end of a day sailing in bright sun. It can be like "arc eyes" from welding without a mask that will drive you insane with serious pain. I also find I just can't see well from all the glare either. Try it nearer the equator and it gets a whole lot stronger. It's as bad as high altitude with snow as far as I'm concerned. I don't go there without sunglasses either. Aviators have the problem with lack of water vapor so the UV becomes quite strong at altitude.

The cheap polaroids are actually OK too EXCEPT for reading LCD panels. A paior for backup is a cheap welcome answer if you lose your main shades. Not as much real UV protection and that is important, but great for glare. I've not tried much with colors other than the ones I have now that are on the dark side, a lighter pair would be something I would want were I to take off for an extended cruise. Mostly the dark pair I like for almost all days. Since I need perscription I don't experiment much with that part other than my ligher colored clip ons that I do like driving with.

The two pairs on sale set me back about $750 US. I have an expensive correction with high index plastic lens with a few coatings. The new titaniuium frames are spectacular. Very light weight and very stiff. They don't bend easily at all. I have been trashing eye glasses for 45 years and these work the best and are the very lightest I have ever owned. The Ray Ban frames I also like because they fit my head well. Not as light byt they fit well. You need a good fit that isn't too heavy and rides the nose without slipping.

Contacts I don't think are that great for any athletic activity if you have a strong correction. Since I have worn glasses al my life it becomes a thing you deal with and lttle things like being on your nose all the time is something I do know a lot about. Comfort does matter as does fit.

The auto darkening glasses suck. I had them a few years when they came out. You can only get it in glass lenses and the plastic lenses are FAR lighter I have a 7 correction and in glass my lenses are 1/4 inch thick at the edge in high index it's half the thickness and 1/3 the weight. Aside from that they don't get dark enough and don't have the UV protection.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 23:00   #17

I would have both. I know if I was in your shoes. I would.

Kevin
CaptainK
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 23:02   #18

I personally, have both. And I never go to far without one or the other.

Regards,

Kevin
CaptianK
Old 13-11-2005, 15:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Dark lenses don't necessarily block UV

Just because you wear sunglasses doesn't mean you are getting UV protection. The UV treatment blocks most of the UV and can be applied to clear as well as tinted lenses. Most lenses are treated to block UV these days but not all are.

You can have UV blocker, polaroid, blended bifocal, photo sensitive lenses made up. Best of all possible worlds. No need for sunglasses as they darken in exposure to light or turn nearly clear without sunlight. Polaroid lenses are great for seeing into the water as in navigating among reefs as well as cutting down glare off the water. The blended lenses are way better than standard bifocals as you don't get the sudden shift in magnification and by tilting our head you get the exact focal length you need. The big problem is cost, seem to remember around $150 for the lenses alone at Costco.

Keep a couple pair of cheap reading glasses down below for use in emergencies. For those of us bifocal wearers, there are times when bifocals just don't work for crap.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 02:20   #20

Boat: Lotus 10.6

With the sun it is normally the more dorky you look, the better the sun protection.
I take out my mates with their flash john lennon sunnglasses and latest caps while I wear my dark wraps and dawky tilley hat. They look cool and get burnt while I look a dawk and stay unburnt.
In the Summer I wear long sleeves and shorts that go over my knees and smear on heaps of suntan. We have next to no Ozone here.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 02:26   #21

Boat: Privilege 37
On a boat it is important that your sunglasses wrap round, cause it is very easy to get UV glare in from the side, and this is actually worse than not wearing shades at all.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:46   #22

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I have prescription sunglasses that have excellent coverage from the side. I also wear a hat. My regular glasses go below in a hard case, in a protective spot.
One time ( before sunglasses, with uv coatings) we were sailing to the dock. I was dropping the sail, when a big gust of wind appeared, grabbed the now somewhat loose sheet, the end flew up and hit the lens, picking it out of the glasses and sending it overside. Yikes!!! fortunately no damage to my eye. Now I wear those dedicated prescription sunglasses, with the heavier frames and lenses. This is what works for me. Those glasses are far better than my regular glasses with the anti glare and UV coatings on them. They are not nearly so stylish, however, I would like to continue to see for years to come.
My next set will have the progressive lens in them so that I can more easily do chart work, without changing glasses.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 15:47   #23

Man witchcraft, you're right about keeping your eyesite for more years to come.

I remember when I was in the US NAVY. And there have been times when I really worked outside. And was out in the sun on a very hot summer day along the French Riveria.

Talking about all that glare. Even hours after the sun went down. My eyes still had glare in them. And very discomforting. That was before I went and got me a pair of Oakleys. And ever since that time onward, if I work outside. Wear sunglasses!!