Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 20:37   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Emergency Haul Out

My insurance policy has a feature called "Emergency Haul Out Coverage". They will cover a large percentage of your haul out fee if you are trying to get your boat out of the water to dodge a "named" storm. Does anyone else have this on their insurance?

Also I am interested from hearing from people who have had to have their boats hauled in a hurry with a hurricane or tropical storm approaching. Is it better to have your sailboat up on jack stands that some hung over yard hand set up haphazardly with its entire aspect vulnerable to wind or is it better to have it in a protected mooring field with extra chaffing gear? Have you ever not been able to be hauled in time on account of your boat yard having too many boats to haul?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 21:37   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Emergency Haul Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
My insurance policy has a feature called "Emergency Haul Out Coverage". They will cover a large percentage of your haul out fee if you are trying to get your boat out of the water to dodge a "named" storm. Does anyone else have this on their insurance?

Also I am interested from hearing from people who have had to have their boats hauled in a hurry with a hurricane or tropical storm approaching. Is it better to have your sailboat up on jack stands that some hung over yard hand set up haphazardly with its entire aspect vulnerable to wind or is it better to have it in a protected mooring field with extra chaffing gear? Have you ever not been able to be hauled in time on account of your boat yard having too many boats to haul?
That would depend on the yard and how they stand your boat, and others around it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrapyard.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	30679  
Old 25-08-2011, 17:04   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8

It's a standard provision. Most boats are safer on land in a hurricane. My boat was hauled yesterday with Irene coming.

Could it be damaged on the hard? Sure. But it's less likely. Insurance companies make this coverage standard because their underwriters have reached the same conclusion after studying claims from past storms.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 17:26   #4

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

My insurance pays up to 500$ for a named storm if a Hurricane watch has been issued. I believe most policies do as well. Nice perk that takes some of the pressure off.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 17:35   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

I was living on my boat while it was hauled out and left for a hotel one night because high winds (we're talking 45 mph gusts) was actually causing it to rock a little on the jack stands. One thing you need to do for a named store is reduce the wind area -- you take off your sails, take off the canvas, etc. ... and then put the bottom of the boat and the keel up in the wind? I wonder if your insurance company recommends this for a sailboat ...

If you use chafing gear, make it large enough that the rain can still get in and cool the lines. A lot of boats in Katrina were destroyed because the nylon lines stretched (as intended) but got hot from all the friction. Lines covered, for instance, with garden hose, actually melted inside the hose and then failed.

My marina owner was talking about getting fire hose so the rain could still get in to keep the lines cool.

Good luck whatever you do. I am sorry you are in the path but very relieved that I am not.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 17:40   #6

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

25yrs and 7 hurricanes all with the trimaran cross tied in the canal. The only damage was when the roof came off the house and bounced off the boat. It seems most losses in an anchorage are the result of someone else dragging across your rode so hide well. I don't like boats out of the water and I don't let insurance companies guide me. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 17:48   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
All depends I'm so not getting near a j boat with 70 foot of stick and the roller furled jib loosely set. And jack stands in mooshet dirt. Forget insurance get your boat secured real well be it on land or up a creek.I'll take my bets on moorings and anchors and yes very important killets on the rhode. You do not want to hang your keel and foul the slack line as you swing keep the slack lines weighted.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 19:07   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Well, if you put it that way (crappy job on jackstands vs an outstanding mooring field), I think you answered your own question. But since your profile says you're on Islesboro, you have a reputable boat yard on 700 Acre Island near you. You can check yourself how they set up your boat on jack stands. If you also unstep the mast, you should be much better shape than on a mooring.

My boat spends each winter on jackstands and thus far has survived some pretty severe winter storms.
Old 26-08-2011, 02:22   #9

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Well, if you put it that way (crappy job on jackstands vs an outstanding mooring field), I think you answered your own question. But since your profile says you're on Islesboro, you have a reputable boat yard on 700 Acre Island near you.
Reputable? They are the competition to my family's boat yard on Islesboro and do a terrible job at everything. No just kidding DHM is a good boat yard. I think most boatyards do a good job I was just illustrating a point in my OP which is this: would you rather trust your boat on land and in the hands of someone else or would you rather leave it in the water and trust yourself.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 04:16   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Reputable? They are the competition to my family's boat yard on Islesboro and do a terrible job at everything. No just kidding DHM is a good boat yard. I think most boatyards do a good job I was just illustrating a point in my OP which is this: would you rather trust your boat on land and in the hands of someone else or would you rather leave it in the water and trust yourself.
The only way this makes sense to me is on a trailer, well strapped down.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 04:46   #11

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

not just a few boats at our marina hauled ashore floated off there stands during Isabelle.
Most of the boat survived in the water with some minor problems on a few with a few major problems where some boats floated up onto some docks.

The ground is just not high enough. The marina since then has trucked in a lot of gravel and raised the land, but who knows.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out