Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 03:42   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Cruisers seeking humanitarian refuge in NZ

Thanks for the history lesson Ping, I had never heard of that event.
I will be interested to see if NZ will let them in? Jacinda is such a good politician and Kiwi's love yachties so I bet it will be a yes.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:21   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

as far as i know Humanitarian aid refers to humans,not cars, boats,or other property owned by humans in distress.
most countries have arranged repatriation flights for their citizens stuck around the world,why should it be any different for yachties who can either shelter in place,or park up their yachts and fly home.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:43   #18

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
as far as i know Humanitarian aid refers to humans,not cars, boats,or other property owned by humans in distress.
most countries have arranged repatriation flights for their citizens stuck around the world,why should it be any different for yachties who can either shelter in place,or park up their yachts and fly home.
Come on atoll, you can't be that daft? This is livaboard/cruising yotties that you're talking about, everybody knows that we're entitled to special dispensation on visa/entry/long-stay requirements, tax free importation on anything we might need, free anchorage or even better maintained moorings, with free open wifi to same, free dinghy docks with security, potable water and trash disposal as a minimum; oh and last but not least, cheap rum.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Come on atoll, you can't be that daft? This is livaboard/cruising yotties that you're talking about, everybody knows that we're entitled to special dispensation on visa/entry/long-stay requirements, tax free importation on anything we might need, free anchorage or even better maintained moorings, with free open wifi to same, free dinghy docks with security, potable water and trash disposal as a minimum; oh and last but not least, cheap rum.
hopefully the kiwis will also oblige the yachties that do not have sufficient funds for their stay with work visas so they will not have to rely on food banks or working illegally to pay for what might be a very very long stay in NZ.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:05   #20

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
hopefully the kiwis will also oblige the yachties that do not have sufficient funds for their stay with work visas so they will not have to rely on food banks or working illegally to pay for what might be a very very long stay in NZ.
I doubt that, like everywhere else they'll be struggling to keep their own in employment during the next year or two. On the up-side, NZ's a reasonably priced country to be marooned in, other than beers over the bar and fags - I never thought I'd be happy to go back to paying UK cigarette prices - the Kiwis do not like smokers!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46   #21

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

It is sad that countries around the world who have hung together in the past, and had their citizens die supporting each other in war, cannot smile at each other now.
The world is in an epidemic crisis and we all need to help each other.
"Hang together....or hang separately."
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:05   #22

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
We for two would love to be in the land of the long cloud 'for a very long stay'. Our favourite land of all. Pity it is so far away but that may be in part what makes Kiwis so nice.

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Why do Australians have such a issue with Americans?

I can’t recall meeting a American who really had strong feelings, of any sort, for Australians

Odd

You must be an Infedel, as I and many friends have been to Australia by plane and by yacht many times and have always had the highest regard for the Australians. Great Country and great people. Get your head out of your ***.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:25   #24

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Well, with some Australians it goes back to when they were over paid, over sexed , and over here.... but they are now pretty well all gone.

Now JPA.... well that's a long story.... dating as it does back to the Eureka stockade and beyond... maybe best JPA tells their own story.....

Back on track.... US boats don't need to throw themselves on the mercy of the New Zealanders.... they can ... as JPA says... just hang a right and go to HI.

In fact I think quite a few have already done so.
Hang a right from Fiji or Vanuatu for Hawaii? Not as simple as it sounds. I personally feel for all of them and hope they get it sorted soon.

I am sure New Zealand was a dream for many as it was for us. As someone else posted many had no doubt left before the virus got loose and had little choice but to carry on with the Trade winds at their backs. Those passages are seriously long and lovely but not returning up wind heading east to yet more closed countries.

If Cuba can do the right humanitarian thing and let in a cruise ship with the virus on board plus many elderly passengers with issues NZ should let the cruisers in with little other choice. It is highly likely that they are all virus free. And they can now be easily tested.

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:29   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12352827

'Hundreds of boaties stranded in the Pacific are making a humanitarian appeal to be allowed safe refuge in New Zealand from the dangerous cyclone season.

Normally hundreds of small yachts sail here from the South Pacific each year to wait the cyclone season out, from September to May.

But this year, with the borders closed because of the pandemic, they're stranded with nowhere to go.'

'Chris Galbraith is chair of the NZ Marine Operators Association and general manager at the first place 70 per cent of small yachts arrive in, when they come to New Zealand - the Bay of Islands Marina. He's been supporting the Ocean Cruising Club's appeal.

He says places of first arrival are already well equipped to receive the small yachts, and he's confident they can be supervised to quarantine safely on their own boats in New Zealand marinas.

Didn't work out too well in April......

A prudent master would contact their country’s embassy in NZ or Oz and a plain situation. If a vessel departs a port and can prove (AIS, inReach, etc) then the time spent at sea should count towards a quarantine.

Like I said- starts with contacting your home country’s embassy.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:14   #26

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Why do Australians have such a issue with Americans?

I can’t recall meeting a American who really had strong feelings, of any sort, for Australians

Odd
I have a number of Aussie friends and have traveled in AUS. It's a great country with wonderful people who are very welcoming and like Americans.
But with the Pandemic and our country's absolutely piss poor leadership in regards to it I can't really blame any country for not letting us in. My hope is that in the Spring I will be able to get somewhere out of the country and from there be able to cruise as I'm not from the U.S. anymore as far as starting from
one of the worst countries at the moment for Covid 19.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:17   #27

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It would be safe to exclude Americans; they can sail to HI. Doable along the equatorial route, then peeling north.
The only problem with HI would be finding a marina. Most are at capacity and not taking in new boats. There are no anchorages similar to other places in the Pac.

The few anchorages that do exist are for 72 hours max. A few 'visiting' boats have exceeded that and now DNLR is aggressively patrolling for violators.

Guam is another potential place for US citizens, with strict regs.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:32   #28

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Mostly we luv ya but every now and then one of your countrymen sticks his foot in it - like when Johnny smuggled Pistol and Boo into Oz in contravention of our bio-security laws. We take a dim view of that sort of carry on and we have long memories .

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/17/a...ial/index.html
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/14/e...-dog-deadline/
You're not alone, many of us yanks take a dim view of Johhny too.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 13:58   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I apologize if I offended any Americans by what I wrote, equatorial route, then heading North to HI. Look at the pilot charts for it. IMO it is doable, and I know boats who have taken the route. It is not against full trades. You make your easting till you can reach up to HI. Not maybe the delightful off the wind sailing of the milk run, but doable. If the boat is not very weatherly, you may have to go as far as 147, 146 or 145 before you peel off. From there, you can fetch the island of Hawaii (the Big Island). When Jeanne Socrates was finishing her circumnavigation, I believe she turned sooner, and left the Big Island to starboard, headed for Cape Flattery. No offense intended.

Quarantine would be necessary then, but then you're in the US, with the whole west coast attainable after re-provisioning (possible within the 72 hrs.) Sorry to hear all the marinas are full, but not surprised. Still, I expect emergency accommodations for American citizens will be able to be arranged. Choose a destination on the mainland, or arrange for hardstand storage in HI. Eventually, the American could go to the mainland by their boat or by air. Expect lots of quarantine.

It is hard times. But nowhere has to take one, except one's nation of origin, and that's not a shoo-in, these days.

Ann
Old 01-08-2020, 14:07   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
The vast majority of the yachties that arrive in NZ are well funded and are simply wanting to do what they would have been doing anyway...

They ( foreign yachts )pump a massive slab of cash into NZ every year.

Repatriate me from any SW Pacific nation , Australia, or NZ to north america or europe? Struth... you would have to catch me first and I wouldn't go quietly.

Tags
cruise, cruiser