Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 13:40   #166
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

As to the boat....
Don’t know about registration. It that ain’t no 37’ boat. They said it was 50’.
Also, as someone noted above, it has mast steps. Makes it easy to get to the spreader.
I went to Google Earth and found Kiribati/Tarawa. Looks like it has a fairly substantial commercial Harbor. Not huge but adequate.
Old 29-10-2017, 14:27   #167

Boat: Tanzer 22

I think it’s been well established that these 2 are not telling the whole truth. They have been caught in many untruths. Someone should start a list of all the lies. Too many to keep up.
Old 29-10-2017, 16:52   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Some have questioned the fouling of the topsides of the hull, with some people assuming it indicates a boat that was beached or aground on its side.

Here is a photo of a boat that was sailing for six months. The hull fouling or growth is similar.

IF the boat was not under sail (sails down) and drifting on the open ocean, it would have rocked. The rocking allows water to to go up and down on the hull, allowing growth to form. This is natural, just as some growth occurs on rocks that are constantly splashed by waves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
Could that pic be of Rutherfords Albin Vega by any chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Ahem. *cough, cough*

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-192907-6.html

Post #78
Old 30-10-2017, 02:37   #169

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Someone should start a list of all the lies. Too many to keep up.
Here you go. Everybody feel free to add stuff, enabled public editing for now...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

keep it civilized...
Old 30-10-2017, 05:45   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Even the news media seems to be scratching their heads while conducting these rather painful interviews. Tom Hanks went on a diet to loose weight before playing his movie role of “The Castaway.” Look’s like these two had an “all you can eat” 24hr vegan buffet onboard their “25 ton” boat.
Well, we know they had two dogs when they were "rescued". What we don't know, is how many they had when they left.
Old 30-10-2017, 07:39   #171

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Here you go. Everybody feel free to add stuff, enabled public editing for now...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

keep it civilized...
Uh, the idea was to UPDATE this document, not erase what was there and replace it!

Andi, you made a good start, too bad it's gone now. Maybe you'll have to lock the file and just take new entries via this thread, or start a new one.

Ironic that this is a thread about clueless people
Old 30-10-2017, 11:49   #172

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Uh, the idea was to UPDATE this document, not erase what was there and replace it!
Yup. And I should have mentioned that sources for information are very much appreciated. I reverted the document to the original state.
Old 30-10-2017, 16:05   #173

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

They're planning on doing it all over again next May:
Women rescued after spending 5 months lost at sea plan their next trip | New York Post
Old 30-10-2017, 16:22   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

All Is Lost II, the sequel.
Old 30-10-2017, 16:39   #175

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Making 4 knots is not fast but, I question if it warranted calling for a rescue.
There has to be much more to the story than we know.

I have one of the first handheld GPS by Magellan, Map 330M, and used it to bring my boat down from Long Island to Miami. Still works too. I guess we can call it my 3rd back up navigation system.
Old 30-10-2017, 17:12   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
now we have a second start date according to the article linked they started on may 23.
I thought according to the earlier reports they started on the 3rd or 4th and their engine failed on the 23rd.

( just another nail in their story)
Old 30-10-2017, 17:14   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Making 4 knots is not fast but, I question if it warranted calling for a rescue.
There has to be much more to the story than we know.

I have one of the first handheld GPS by Magellan, Map 330M, and used it to bring my boat down from Long Island to Miami. Still works too. I guess we can call it my 3rd back up navigation system.
making 4 knots would be great in my islander.
Old 30-10-2017, 17:56   #178

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
As I watched that video I felt a 50 foot tidal wave of nausea sweep over me followed by 70 foot sharks in force 15 winds as I made my way to the Marquesas by way of Sri Lanka .
Old 30-10-2017, 18:38   #179

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
As I watched that video I felt a 50 foot tidal wave of nausea sweep over me followed by 70 foot sharks in force 15 winds as I made my way to the Marquesas by way of Sri Lanka .
Now you know exactly how they feel!
Old 30-10-2017, 18:49   #180

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

As I watched this video couple of thoughts came to mind
First I remember reading about New Zealand requirements prior departure and if I remember when it came to be was to insure the safety as well as cut down the exorbitant costs of any search and/or rescue operation,also I remember when it came to be much criticism about big government individual freedom,etc.
Just google it to refresh my memory
https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recre...g-overseas.asp

the gist of it is
"About overseas travel
All New Zealand boats going overseas must:

be registered as a New Zealand ship with the Registrar of Ships at Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) and
undergo a safety inspection prior to departure
For a safe voyage, the:
design and construction of the boat must be suitable
safety and communication equipment must be inspected
skipper and crew must be capable of undertaking the proposed voyage safely.
Registration
Registration provides nationality, giving you the protection of the New Zealand Government, and the registration papers provide proof of identity like a passport does for a person...."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a second note
I noticed these two people dressing Navy issued clothing and hats?,again,I understand they cannot debark naked however,that will be our tax money at work right?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also remember reading one of Eric and Susan Hiscock books and his comments on self reliance,I found a quote on a sailing blog and I think I can repost,hope i am not breaking any copyright law.

Eric Hiscock on radio and self-reliance

From ‘Come Aboard’ (1978) by Eric Hiscock
"If a person wishes to sail in an unseaworthy vessel, or put to sea with little knowledge of seamanship or navigation, that I consider is entirely his or her own affair provided he does not harm or inconvenience others; I therefore do not understand why he should be advised, bullied or compelled to carry with him rescue and survival equipment. In the unlikely event that I were asked to legislate for yachts, the only rule I would make would be that, except for yachts taking part in a race for which some club or other organization felt responsible, no yacht should be permitted to carry ship/shore radio.

We in yachts do not have to go to sea like the professional seaman does, we go because we want to, and therefore we have no right when in trouble to call on others, perhaps with risk to them, to get us out of a difficulty which, with a bit of planning and some common sense, we could probably have avoided.

It is the 'mayday' calls that set off the air/sea searches which give all of us a bad public image. We are frequently told that the lifeboat, coastguard, or other services are almost overwhelmed by the large number of private craft that get into trouble and call for help—in 1973 in United States waters I understand there were 782,000 incidents in which people in boats needed rescue or assistance—and again and again there are government threats that because of this we shall all have to pass tests and our vessels be inspected; not only would that restrict our freedom but it would cost money to pay the bureaucrats who are so keen to protect us from ourselves. Such ideas need to be strongly opposed, for we must be allowed to go unrestricted on our suicidal way, otherwise our precious freedom will be lost. In most walks of life there are little men who delight in controlling their fellows, and we must do all we can to keep their poking noses and prying fingers out of yacht cruising and voyaging, which at present are occupations open to any man or woman with a free spirit and an ability to rely on his or her own guts.

In one of his delightful 'Down the Hatch' features in Yachting World, W M (Winkie) Nixon put the real spirit of cruising in a nutshell when he wrote: 'Thus cruising aspires to be self-reliant, self-expressive and yet private. It should be the most harmless of activities as far as the rest of the world is concerned; a cruising yacht should go about her business without fuss or bother, giving trouble to no one, indeed it's hardly going too far to say that a real cruising person, in the unlikely event of getting into difficulties, would rather drown than cause the slightest inconvenience to potential rescuers.' "

Respectfully submitted
David
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue