Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 12:03   #1

Boat Security

Has anyone considered using parking assist sensors to create a "net" to detect persons attempting to board their boat while they're asleep? I've heard discussions on electrifying lifelines... can imagine trying to explain the smoldering corpse stuck to the side of my boat.
ThreeToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Boat Security

I have a 12 VDC motion sensing floodlight, 10W LED on Amazon, maybe $20.
Stick your head up, the motion sensor sees you and you get a bright light shined in your face. A logical person would assume the person on the boat turned on the lights and would I hope leave.
Other than the obvious safety issue, electrifying anything may cause stray currents that eat up your thru hulls or prop or something
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:44   #3

Yeah, I was thinking of something less sensitive that would provide a discrete notification of a close range target as it moves about the deck. Though a flood light definitely has its purposes.
Old 06-03-2017, 13:05   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeToes View Post
Has anyone considered using parking assist sensors to create a "net" to detect persons attempting to board their boat while they're asleep? ..................
Have you had a serious problem with people attempting to board your boat while you are asleep?
Old 07-03-2017, 02:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ThreeToes.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

After an attack a few years ago in Grenada (which I am not allowed to mention on this forum as its too graphic) we had a security meeting and about 100 cruisers decided the simplest best way to have protected against attack is a nice bright light in the cockpit.
Bad people don't want to be seen.
If they know they will be exposed getting on, or being on your boat they will pick anther target.

Unsurprising to real cruisers is not once did guns come up as a security method.

I have tried movement detecting lights etc but the domestic connections rust too quick on a boat.

If you have a fully marinized one ($$$) that may be good... but simple, cheap and effective is an always on bright LED cockpit light.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've had this for about 6 mos now, However I am Marina bound for the next few months so I guess it's not a real test. $14 and I just sit it in beside the companionway and plug it into the cigarette lighter receptacle in the cockpit, when it goes bad, I'll replace it with another $14 light.

https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Security-...9EXN174GBQCTQ4

The always on cockpit light has its advantages too, however it is a drain on the battery. As well as maybe keeping unwanted guests out, it also lights the boat at waterline, making it hopefully so some drunk doesn't T-bone your boat with theirs. I use these lights for that, they are waterproof, however salt does get to them in about 6 months, they are meant to be daytime running LED's for cars so they are bright white. for $5 I can replace them every six months or so, I've used these for a couple of years, if you put some silicone sealant right where the wires enter the light, so far they last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This wireless dimmer for $2 works great as those lights are really too bright, but you can crank them up to see while your grilling etc or dim them down later, for $2 it even comes with a battery

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-03-2017, 05:13   #8

I suppose if you want lights you can get what some of the derelict boats around here use for anchor lights - solar garden lights from Walmart. Just strap or tape a bunch of them around the boat.

The downside of extra lights is, the attract insects.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Garden lights or the expensive "marine" versions are not bright enough, and die in the early morning, right about when you think the nefarious types are out and about anyway.
I wanted the garden lights to work, I tried them, bought the expensive marine ones, put better batteries in them, finally gave up.
If lights attract bugs where you are, then maybe the motion detector light makes sense.

However I am way more about keeping a bad guy from boarding me than I am about a defensive strategy after they do.
Anything you can do to make your boat look like not such a good target, the better off you will be.
I have to think that anyone fixing to climb aboard that gets a bright light shined in their face is more likely to leave than if they had no light shined on them.
It's just $14 and not installed, I just lay it beside the companionway and if we are about to get underway, we put it down below. It is sensitive enough that people that walk by on the dock set it off. (I back into my slip)
A seagull will set it off, but I don't want them in my cockpit either
Old 07-03-2017, 06:42   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

These discussions have been beaten to death on CF. I will repeat: if you are concerned about crime in any particular area . . . choose a safer area to cruise where the odds for crime are little to none. Good luck and safe sailing . . . P.S. the incident Mark referred to earlier was a truly horrific act of violence in an area well-frequented by cruising sailors and has experienced a change from its once safe reputation to one of concern. It's your life and those of your loved ones. Choose wisely.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
............ if you are concerned about crime in any particular area . . . choose a safer area to cruise where the odds for crime are little to none. ...................
That would be my advice as well. I understand the allure of exotic locations but it's more important to stay alive.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
These discussions have been beaten to death on CF. I will repeat: if you are concerned about crime in any particular area . . . choose a safer area to cruise where the odds for crime are little to none. Good luck and safe sailing . . . P.S. the incident Mark referred to earlier was a truly horrific act of violence in an area well-frequented by cruising sailors and has experienced a change from its once safe reputation to one of concern. It's your life and those of your loved ones. Choose wisely.
I'm sorry I offended you by bringing it up.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:10   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
I'm sorry I offended you by bringing it up.
Not sure you offended him, he was simply saying it has come up before and the best defense is a good offense. The good offense of which he speaks is to stay away from the "bad" areas!

And yes, I probably should have let him answer for himself but I'm thinking you may have misunderstood what he was saying.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:18   #14

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking of something less sensitive that would provide a discrete notification of a close range target as it moves about the deck. Though a flood light definitely has its purposes.
What you seem to be creating is a scenario that results in confrontation. BG (bad guy) doesn't know he has tripped an alarm until you open the companionway.

I am with A64 and the others on this one. Even in the best areas you might lose a fishing rod or some other item left loose in the cockpit or on the deck. If someone tries to get it I would rather:

A). Have a light that pops on and makes the BG think I've gotten up and about to come out, or

B). Have lights on all night that discourage the BG from even approaching my yacht in the first place.

I know I am a wuss but I don't like confrontation at 3AM; it messes up my whole night!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10   #15

Boat: Valiant 40
Boat Security

I've had numerous detectives tell me the best deterrent to burglary is a large dog, and the second best is some indication that someone is home. 99% of burglars are not total idiots; they will move on to an easier target.

The same is true on a boat. If there is some indication that someone is aboard and potentially awake, you've warned off a large percentage of would-be thieves.

There will always be the outlying horrific incidents that we hear about, like Mark's reference to what happened in Grenada. When I was in St. Lucia a couple of years ago a couple was murdered in their boat in a relatively crowded anchorage by some drug fueled thieves.

It comes down to making reasonable efforts to minimize the risks. There's no way to minimize them entirely other than staying home or making your boat a floating fortress.

FYI the petty crime rate in Annapolis marinas and yards skyrockets during boat show as itinerant cruisers pilfer outboards, dinghy, and sundry gear. Sometimes it's not the locals who are causing mischief.

Tags
boat, security