Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 12:25   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: A Trick Worth Knowing

Thanks for all the comments. It seems most people already know of this trick, which is great to hear.

Perhaps we can expand the thread with other tricks.

A friend of mind is a great sailor, swimming champion and lifesaver and he gave me this tip how to approach a swimmer drowning or in serious trouble.

In panic mode the swimmer can often grab onto rescuer. This can put the rescuer themselves into trouble. Releasing the drowning person’s grip can be very difficult. They are fighting for their life and not thinking rationally.

The tip is if you are in this situation trying to rescue someone, rather than trying to wrestle free of their grip simply sink under the water. Once you start to sink the drowning swimmer will release their grip rather than be dragged under. You can swim to a safe distance, hopefully calm them down, or approach in a different way, and try again.

Please note I am no expert, but as I live with the water only a few feet away most of the time, it seems sensible to know these pearls of wisdom.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapman View Post
This was part of the standard Drown-proofing class that all undergraduates at Ga Tech had to learn. Other parts of the class taught ways to stay afloat by bobbing for many hours while expending very little energy and using jeans as life preservers. I took the class in 1967 (a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away).
No kidding? I took the same class at GT also in 1967. Either fall or winter quarter (remember no semester system) since I remember it was cold walking back across the street to Brown dorm.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for all the comments. It seems most people already know of this trick, which is great to hear.

Perhaps we can expand the thread with other tricks.

A friend of mind is a great sailor, swimming champion and lifesaver and he gave me this tip how to approach a swimmer drowning or in serious trouble.

In panic mode the swimmer can often grab onto rescuer. This can put the rescuer themselves into trouble. Releasing the drowning person’s grip can be very difficult. They are fighting for their life and not thinking rationally.

The tip is if you are in this situation trying to rescue someone, rather than trying to wrestle free of their grip simply sink under the water. Once you start to sink the drowning swimmer will release their grip rather than be dragged under. You can swim to a safe distance, hopefully calm them down, or approach in a different way, and try again.

Please note I am no expert, but as I live with the water only a few feet away most of the time, it seems sensible to know these pearls of wisdom.
The other part of this trick, instead of getting up close take off a shirt or whatever, stay back and toss one end to the victim and tow them back with that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:55   #19

standard USCG survival training in the 80's. Particularly useful with bibs as well,
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:58   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The other part of this trick, instead of getting up close take off a shirt or whatever, stay back and toss one end to the victim and tow them back with that.
Great tip

I am sure professional lifesavers already know these tricks and are probably good enough swimmers not to need them in the first place, but the average cruiser is likely to need all the help they can get.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 13:17   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Nice to see so many US Navy vets remembering this pants trick from boot camp.

I remember the mandatory swimming test where one had to do one lap around the pool and one guy couldn't swim, so the instructor threw him in the pool and as he floundered towards the edge of the pool, the instructor used his long pole to push the recruit away from the side of the pool and pushed the poor guy all the way around the pool and he passed the swim test...

Memories...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 13:32   #22

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Rescues are reach-throw-go in that order. And don't forget to call 911 or other emergency personnel if that is an option.

When 'we' go (American Red Cross lifeguard), we normally bring a flotation tube that looks like the old water skiing waist floats undone.

Is it worth discussing that the sailor in the original post was (probably) not harnessed to the boat or wearing a PDF in tough conditions which ended up in a 3 hour ordeal? Glad all are OK.
Old 10-03-2019, 13:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Great tip

I am sure professional lifesavers already know these tricks and are probably good enough swimmers not to need them in the first place, but the average cruiser is likely to need all the help they can get.
Be aware that a panicked person can and will exhibit great strength, a strength which is more than sufficient to overcome any advantage of a proficient swimmer.

The lesson here is to not allow yourself to become the item the panicked person will cling to. To this end, putting one end of a line or shirt sleeve or towel, etc so they may grasp that instead is a great tactic. Another is to toss the flotation device opposite side of the panicked person so their attention will momentarily be on that and not on the rescuer. This allows you to grasp the victim from behind the shoulders to bring them back to safety. A tight hold prevents them from turning to face you.

Both techniques are about preventing the panicked person from 'attacking' you.

The Boy Scouts, as mentioned, Sea Scouts, NAUI diver certification, Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI), and US Lifesaving Assoc. (USLA) taught these and more.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 13:49   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I learned these techniques, as well, in a Water Safety Instructor course I took in the '70's. I'm surprised to see they are not routinely taught in areas near swimming water....of course, I look upon the ocean as swimming water, too.

Ann
Old 10-03-2019, 14:15   #25

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I also learned this in WSI training back in the 60s. It is another good reason to avoid the style of ripped jeans.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 14:19   #26

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Standard training at Navy flight school in Pensacola,Fl.

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 14:34   #27

Did that once when I has knocked overboard from a fishing trawler forty years ago, took off my oil pants and tied the legs together put my feet through the suspenders and sat there waiting for the boat to come back.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:21   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Spot on, Spot. Me too.

Ditto for me at Boy Scout camp in the early 80’s. It’s odd. So many of these things I just take for granted that the average person knows how to do or has been exposed to
jmcaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 22:23   #29

Boat: atlantic 31

A part of the basic training of the Marine Navy Disaster Relief Unit in Greece in 1986
lask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 22:50   #30

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
The birth of bell bottoms
No, bell bottoms have been part of most sailor's pants since sailors started wearing pants!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote