Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 02:16   #16

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: West to East Cape of Good Hope

Thanks, this is such good info. I would consider myself a cautious sailor ( the more so as I get older ) so don't worry that I'll take your advice without due consideration. I really just wanted to know if it was feasible. It sounds like it is more than do-able - around Africa that is. I really and truly dislike cold weather. I often joke I'd rather have sweat dripping off my nose than put on a jacket !
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:41   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I might just note for completeness that there is another way to get to the Pacific from the Atlantic - more direct than either of the southern capes, without using a canal . . . .
the NWP . . . .
but if you don't like cold
it is really either the canal - I sort of agree with you on that - we did it once, was 'enough', and then used the capes all our other times; or Hope (which is a long, but interesting, road).

a few photos:

This is always what I remember first about S Africa
Click image for larger version

Name:	001A-105545964-O.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	164218

Name:	003A-105546129-O.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	164219

Name:	012A-105546466-O.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	164220

Chile on a good day - these guys would lead you into an anchorage and jump out of the water right where you were supposed to drop your hook

Name:	010-105572576-O.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	164221
Chile on a 'difficult day'

Name:	anchorage2web.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	164217
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 08:05   #18

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Awesome and powerful shot of the anchorage!!
Old 15-02-2018, 12:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

The Aghulas current is not a counter current - it is the main East to West current. When you throw in the SW buster then you can churn the sea into a fair representation of a washing machine.
However, from Cape Town eastwards is very do-able. As several people have said, you coastal hop. The weather forecasts are pretty reliable and ‘windows’ are well documented and regular. I have done this passage a number of times. By keeping well inshore you avoid the Aghulas current and may find a gentle counter current. The advice I received on my first West-East passage, from Saldanha Bay to Durban was to stay close enough inshore to read car number plates. Obviously, this was a slight exaggeration but the principles were correct. It is actually a wonderful sail as long as watch the weather and use the harbours along the way. I can really recommend Knysna (very interesting entrance!) - we ended up staying there for nearly two months on one trip and had the pleasure of meeting Lynne & Larry Pardey there (early ‘94 I seem to recall).

QUOTE=El Pinguino;2577160]The 'counter current' you are thinking of is the Aghulus.... one of the world's biggest... if not the biggest... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agulhas_Current

With a strong SW'ly wind it can produce a rather nasty sea ... vvvvvv .....

If I was wanting to get to the 'South Seas' from the east coast of the US and didn't want to go via Panama I would go via the Beagle Channel ( but then I would say that wouldn't I )

No need to go around the Horn..... only hard bit is getting down the Argentine coast...

Going that way you get to enjoy some of the finest cruising in the world and after clearing the channels at Canal Chacao just poke on up the coast to Ecuador.[/QUOTE]
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 23:00   #20

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The Pardeys[Lin and Larry] did the East about in Serafin[no engine]around the Horn,Sri Lanka,Thailand,Malaysia[where i bumped in to them],Singapore,up to Japan, across to the West coast.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 01:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
The Pardeys[Lin and Larry] did the East about in Serafin[no engine]around the Horn,Sri Lanka,Thailand,Malaysia[where i bumped in to them],Singapore,up to Japan, across to the West coast.
Now that would be nice to bump into someone like that. Maybe I'll have a chance ! No one would doubt they have done some epic adventures.

All the info here had definitely made me believe it not only can be done but has been done and people are still doing it. So it is something I can conceivably plan for.
Old 17-02-2018, 00:52   #22

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Here is a little of the Indian Ocean. Some amazing place and almost no boats which makes anchorages great as you mostly have it to yourself [emoji12]

https://youtu.be/waUHzS2lhac
https://youtu.be/FFM4E5xdbPk

My plan is to start this side of the world for the first year at least before going down to Cape Town and crossing the Atlantic. Why well it’s really spectacular waters
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 04:46   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We spent nearly15 years in the Indian Ocean and absolutely loved it. The area is vast and the remoteness can be overwhelming. Very happy to share if you wish for specifics. To write generally will take forever - but I can thoroughly recommend the waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
This is the big gap in my knowledge of the seven seas. I don’t want to highjack the thread but can you point me to resources or tell me more about it? We are not considering circumnavigating simply because the Indian Ocean doesn’t appeal to us. Maybe you can show us the love it deserves. Thanks!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 05:29   #24

I appreciate that, but I'm still in the dreaming stage yet ! Lol

I sometimes think the Indian Ocean could be called the "forgotten ocean." I'd bet if you asked people to name the oceans of the world they might not know it. It really is big too, almost as big as the Atlantic.

Next to the South Pacific, it's definitely an area I want to explore if I can.
Old 17-02-2018, 09:30   #25

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Can't imagine why you would go the cold dangerous southern route direct to the Pacific. You would miss all the Indian Ocean islands and Madagascar of course stay well away from north Africa. If I am no mistaken, half of the year there is a generally south prevailing wind through Reunion, Mauritius, Seychelles. Get info from some folks in Seychelles here in the forum.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote