Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2007, 07:16   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I just went through Jenifer Clark's web site (see link above). She gives links to most of the information I have found on the web about the gulf stream. She also gives contact information for competing weather routers. That doesn't sound like the kind of person who would do what I heard and reported above. Now I'm feeling a bit misled, so I am going to call her and ask for her side of the story.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 12:03   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
... Unfortunately, I have been told that she (sic: Jenifer Clark) has worked to reduce the public availability of satellite imagery and other data collected by the U.S. services and civilian agencies in order to further her business of selling that information together with her value-added analysis. If true (and I don't have confirmation), I find that distressing and would avoid her. You might call and ask her directly. If you do, please report back.
... That doesn't sound like the kind of person who would do what I heard and reported above. Now I'm feeling a bit misled, so I am going to call her and ask for her side of the story...
Where did you hear such a thing?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 12:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Where did you hear such a thing?
I'm following up now.

I'm following up with Ms. Clark and with the original source.
Old 18-12-2007, 13:34   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Jenifer Clark ( Jenifer Clark's Gulfstream ) is indeed the most well-known and respected source of information for routing near and across the Gulf Stream. Unfortunately, I have been told that she has worked to reduce the public availability of satellite imagery and other data collected by the U.S. services and civilian agencies in order to further her business of selling that information together with her value-added analysis. If true (and I don't have confirmation), I find that distressing and would avoid her. You might call and ask her directly. If you do, please report back.
That is disturbing, if true. US Senator Santorum of Pennsylvania introduced a bill a while back to severely restrict the availability of NOAA weather data to the public. Word was that the instigator was AccuWeather, a Pennsylvania company. Thankfully, his colleagues recognized the attempt for what is was and the bill died. I hadn't heard Clark was involved--I'd like to know what you find out, Auspicious.

Knowing something about the weather is a good idea. I've spent a lot of time reading books and looking at Internet sites (there are a LOT of them) to further my understanding of weather patterns and how they develop. I'm no Ken Campbell, but I can see stuff coming most of the time. When I'm on the boat, however, I only have SSB email and weatherfax access, so a professional weather router is good insurance.
Old 18-12-2007, 14:50   #20

No answer after several telephone calls -- e-mail in to both parties.
Old 18-12-2007, 14:50   #21

Boat: Endeavour E40
Good info from you all, THANKS!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 19:44   #22

I got a very balanced e-mail from Jenifer Clark. I think my information was not correct. We have an appointment for a phone call tomorrow afternoon. I will report back.
Old 18-12-2007, 19:58   #23

$0.02:

Take a metereology course at your local community college.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 20:07   #24

Boat: Delphia 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
$0.02:

Take a metereology course at your local community college.
Got mine all lined up for next semester!
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 03:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
That is disturbing, if true. US Senator Santorum of Pennsylvania introduced a bill a while back to severely restrict the availability of NOAA weather data to the public. Word was that the instigator was AccuWeather, a Pennsylvania company. Thankfully, his colleagues recognized the attempt for what is was and the bill died. I hadn't heard Clark was involved--I'd like to know what you find out, Auspicious.
I think you meen FORMER Senator Rick Santorum.
Richard John Santorum was a Republican member of the U.S. Senate from 1995-2007. He was defeated (by a margin of 59 - 41%) in the 2006 congressional elections by Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.).

In April 2005 Santorum introduced the National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005 which proposed to prevent the National Weather Service from competing with private sector weather services. Santorum had claimed that the overlap with commercial weather services "detracts from NWS’s core missions of maintaining a modern and effective meteorological infrastructure, collecting comprehensive observational data, and issuing warnings and forecasts of severe weather that imperil life and property." By the end of the 2005, Santorum's bill had failed to gain a co-sponor and had not managed to gain support from the relevant committee.
In February 2006, Santorum sought to revive his stalled bill, issuing a media release defending his proposal and lashing out at the opposition to his bill.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 03:17   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gord,

Thanks, I guess I'm a bit out of date down here! Of course, that's one of the charming things about living in the islands--limited exposure to the constant political drivel.

I only hope that it was his misguided support of that ill-conceived bill that got Mr. Santorum defeated!
Old 19-12-2007, 09:39   #27

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I found 'THEYR' weather service by net search. A proffessional body for proffessionals, have a look see.
Old 19-12-2007, 13:07   #28

This has been very interesting.

I have spoken with Jenifer Clark, with the original source of my information, and with former colleagues of Ms. Clark at NOAA. What follows are my conclusions from what I heard. I did not record or transcribe the discussions, so my assessment is all you get. <grin>

Interestingly enough, the various parties agree on the basic facts.

As I understand it, one of the most significant reasons that Ms. Clark left government service was a NOAA decision not to produce the Gulf Stream analysis product any longer. What she does now commercially is what she did in government service; she has developed a market for something the government decided not to do anymore, and she did it after the government decision was taken.

She would be unhappy if the government "changed its mind" and began to produce the product she now does commercially after their earlier decision to stop delivering the product led to her decision to leave. I sympathize with her on the matter.

The person who spoke ill of Ms. Clark is in fact mostly unhappy with the government decision to stop doing the analysis of the Gulf Stream that allowed them to provide watches and warnings related to the Gulf Stream as a public service. That person associates Ms. Clark's minor success commercializing GS analysis with the government decision to drop the product. In my opinion, that person has confused the issues.

Based on my interaction with her, I think Ms. Clark is a highly ethical business person and professional. Frankly I'm quite glad that this thread moved me to make the comment I did so that I would ultimately make contact with Ms. Clark and follow up on the issue. Several people have remarked on the value of her products. I would like to add that the person behind those products should add to the confidence any sailor has in them.
Old 19-12-2007, 13:13   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Auspicious,

That's good to know. Jenifer has a great professional reputation and a great product.

Thanks for taking the time to track down the fact.
Old 29-12-2007, 11:09   #30

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
"One is Chris Parker which is a paid service "

I've used Chris's service for one season and would do so again. I've listened to him for several years first. Quite often there is someone close to you that is getting his advice. I've see him make mistakes and also better guess the big weather services. I listen to Chris, then Noaa , then windfinder.com(if I have internet) , Then I look out the window.
cheers
Brad
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote