Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 20:04   #16

Boat: Mumby 48
Re: Upgrading Raymarine Sonar - 3D

I'm following with interest as I'd like to do similar on my cat. Having sidescan/3D for locating SCUBA diving sites and being able to anchor accurately around them will be awesome. For example, locally we have an artificial reef made up of 30 or so wrecks. I know where it is, but I can't get exact coordinates of the individual wrecks. This makes anchoring safely, while close enough for diving safely a bit of a challenge.....so we haven't done it.

It's a big expense, especially when you need to muck around with through hulls as well.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 21:09   #17

I wanted to get all fancy with side and 3D imaging, but after looking at it in depth - i realized that on a sailing vessel, the only good way to do it is via thru-hull installation on both sides of the vessel. Of course this means expensive transducers and haul-out.

None of the side/3D scans will work in shoot-through (in hull) due to frequencies they use.

You can install a transom mount 3D imaging transducer on a pole that is lowered in the water or even attach it directly to the transom. But it will only work well when you are moving very slowly. Anything else (heeling or speed) will have significant negative impact on the ability to receive/process useful data.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:53   #18

Just FYI - West Marine has Axiom 9 RV with 3D sonar and Navionics + for less than 1K right now (until 24th).

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rayma...42?recordNum=6
Old 08-12-2020, 13:28   #19

Boat: Navigator Pilot House 53'

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
I wanted to get all fancy with side and 3D imaging, but after looking at it in depth - i realized that on a sailing vessel, the only good way to do it is via thru-hull installation on both sides of the vessel. Of course this means expensive transducers and haul-out.

None of the side/3D scans will work in shoot-through (in hull) due to frequencies they use.

You can install a transom mount 3D imaging transducer on a pole that is lowered in the water or even attach it directly to the transom. But it will only work well when you are moving very slowly. Anything else (heeling or speed) will have significant negative impact on the ability to receive/process useful data.
Thanks. I was thinking of trying the transom mount transducer and if it didn't work, but it on a pole as you said, maybe mid-ship.

Mine is a stink pot with big propellors. I'm wondering how bad the disruption would be at 5knots. And I wonder if the depth sounding would work regardless.

My biggest need is to get accurate depth. My current Raymarine Tridata goes offline a lot, flashing with only the last known depth.
markguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 13:30   #20

Quote:
Just FYI - West Marine has Axiom 9 RV with 3D sonar and Navionics + for less than 1K right now (until 24th).

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rayma...42?recordNum=6
But without a transducer, right? And could it work with an in-hull? I have a 15% dead rise. Or would it need two. Any ideas? I will also research.
Old 08-12-2020, 14:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
Thanks. I was thinking of trying the transom mount transducer and if it didn't work, but it on a pole as you said, maybe mid-ship.

Mine is a stink pot with big propellors. I'm wondering how bad the disruption would be at 5knots. And I wonder if the depth sounding would work regardless.

My biggest need is to get accurate depth. My current Raymarine Tridata goes offline a lot, flashing with only the last known depth.
If you really just need depth and you have FG hull - just buy P79 and install inside the boat. It will work as a fishfinder too, but not 3D/sideview. You can get something like CPT (transom mount normally) that you can glass/wax inside the hull or mount to the transom and it will give you down vision. Going with RV100 will give you 3D (transom, $200 ducer)

Since it is powerboat and not a sailboat (i take that's what stinkpot means), you should be able to go with transom mount. If mounted correctly 5 knots will not be a problem as long as the ducer is submerged in a smooth flow portion with no bubbles or significant turbulence.
Old 08-12-2020, 14:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
But without a transducer, right? And could it work with an in-hull? I have a 15% dead rise. Or would it need two. Any ideas? I will also research.
No ducer, that's separate.

The Axiom itself will work with in-hull or transom mount. It's the transducer that makes the difference. The side or 3D view will not work through the hull as the high frequencies needed for those functions can't survive the trip through the hull and back.
Old 08-12-2020, 15:56   #23

Quote:
If you really just need depth and you have FG hull - just buy P79 and install inside the boat. It will work as a fishfinder too, but not 3D/sideview. You can get something like CPT (transom mount normally) that you can glass/wax inside the hull or mount to the transom and it will give you down vision. Going with RV100 will give you 3D (transom, $200 ducer)

Since it is powerboat and not a sailboat (i take that's what stinkpot means), you should be able to go with transom mount. If mounted correctly 5 knots will not be a problem as long as the ducer is submerged in a smooth flow portion with no bubbles or significant turbulence.
Thanks, I found out the P79 won't work with my MFD as it does not have sonar processing, it would require a box like a 370 sounder box (p/n E70297).

Another option for getting my depth to work is to buy a new in-hull trans that will talk to my Ray Tridata (which is currently intermittent, and I am told the likely cause is the transducer. e66008. The Raymarine tech, said that should work with my older Tridata and just has wires not a plug.

Yes, she is a powerboat.

I have run out of the time with the yard and probably don't want to spend the cash on new thru-hull transducers and MFD, so I am thinking I will try the Garmin Vivid for $499 with transom transducer.

Tags
marine, raymarine