Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 05:52   #1

Boat: Navigator Pilot House 53'
Upgrading Raymarine Sonar - 3D

I have a Raymarine Hybrid Touch MFD with just a standard depth transducer and thinking of upgrading.

I have seen the crazy cool new 3D readouts but it doesn’t look like those tansponders are compatible with my Hybrid Touch MFD. So, I am thinking of upgrading or adding a second system.

The least expensive option seems to be the Element MFD with a transom mounted transducer for $549 MSRP. One person at Raymarine said it could talk to my Hyrid Touch if I upgraded to the software to Lighthouse3, but then another person said that is not possible, because it requires Raynet.

The best option seems to be the Axiom MFD, but more than twice as much. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...sc_act_title_1

What makes this decision a little urgent is that I am hauling the boat in about 10 days for a bottom job and need to decide on any thru-hull changes. I have learned all of these are available with exterior mounted transom transducers. Any thoughts on the difference of performance of transom mounted v. thru-hull?

Any experience or advice regarding these systems would be appreciated.
Btw, I have a 53’ Navigator motor cruiser.
markguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 05:58   #2
Nearly an old salt

Re: Upgrading Raymarine Sonar - 3D

What do you hope to achieve
Old 25-11-2020, 06:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Ordinary straight down transducers work just fine through fiberglass hulls. This unit appears to need the fancy RV-100:

"4-channel RV-100 all-in-one transom mount transducer uses gyro-stabilized sonar technology to compensate for boat movement and deliver a superior sonar image."

That's a different beast. Doesn't look like you could mount it through the hull.
Old 25-11-2020, 06:23   #4
Nearly an old salt

Again what are you trying to achieve with a “ superior sonar image “
Old 25-11-2020, 07:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I can think of several replies to your question, goboatingnow. One would be "have superior imagry of the bottom." Another would be "Have the coolest glass cockpit in the marina." Yet another would be "throw money at the boat."

It's Mark's boat and money, so he doesn't really need a reason. For me? Yeah, it'd be a big investment for a small added return, but the same could be said for my ham radio that refuses to tune and my ham General License.
Old 25-11-2020, 07:33   #6

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

I have Real Vision 3D. I use twin RV-220 transducers.

I get side scan like this (wreck) - sorry I don't have any pictures of the 3D vision on hand. Hyper Vision with the element is where its at for the best bottom pictures in shallow water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RealVision.png
Views:	60
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	227570  
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What do you hope to achieve
A good question...

3 areas. 1) Fish finder, 2) Scuba diving, locating bottom structure, reefs, wrecks, 3) Navigation and anchoring. For nav, I don't think I want to spend the money on the forward looking capability, but it would be nice if at slow speeds (5 knots or less) it could show the bottom in the 100 foot range.
Old 25-11-2020, 09:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
I have Real Vision 3D. I use twin RV-220 transducers.

I get side scan like this (wreck) - sorry I don't have any pictures of the 3D vision on hand. Hyper Vision with the element is where its at for the best bottom pictures in shallow water.
Thanks...wow, those tranducers are pricey. $1,799 at West. And interesting
about needing the pair.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rayma...pack--18219311

Thanks, Mark
Old 25-11-2020, 10:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
And interesting
about needing the pair.
Side-scan is going to have a tough time with the keel in the way. transducer mounted on port, has obscured view of Stbd side of the vessel. Stbd mounted transducer has an obscured view of port side.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 11:19   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Side-scan is going to have a tough time with the keel in the way. transducer mounted on port, has obscured view of Stbd side of the vessel. Stbd mounted transducer has an obscured view of port side.
They are available as a pair with a splitter harness, intended for that sort of installation. Or as a single (which I have mounted ahead of the keel).
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:22   #11

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the conversation.

Here is what I am thinking. I would really like to get the RayMarine RealVision, but that is not compatible with my current MFD (Hybrid Touch), and I am not ready to replace that.

So seems like the next best alternative with RayMarine is the Element, but I believe it would be standalone and could not talk to my Hybrid Touch with runs Lighthouse 2 software and the Element is on Lighthouse 3. One person at Ray said it would but on another call the person said definitely not....so...it would be standalone.

This is occurs to me to compare with other standalone system that is a fishfinder and can map the bottom in 3D. Anyone have experience with any other systems?
Old 26-11-2020, 20:13   #12

Boat: Beneteau 323

You want the Axiom 7 RV + RV 100 for transom mount (least expensive transducer). Model without charts is E70365-03 and is about $1150 MSRP.

My question - can you get away from transom mount? If you are on a sailboat, you are unlikely to be able to get it mounted correctly. This one can't be installed in-hull as the frequencies used for 3D and side scan won't work through the hull. Plus because it has multiple elements - it can get hot and fail. For a sailboat you would need the thruhull version, that requires two transducers and they are expensive!

You can get one with Navionics+ from WestMarine for the same price

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rayma...arts--18042101

Hodges marine with Navionics+ $1037
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/raye703...ealvision.html

Hodges Marine with LNC2 charts - $1000
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/raye703...m-transdu.html

These are MSRPs from Raymarine directly.

E70365-03 AXIOM 7 RV - 7" MFD with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar with RV-100 transducer $1,149.99
E70365-03-101 AXIOM 7 RV - 7" MFD with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar with RV-100 transducer + LNC Charts $1,199.99
E70365-03-NAG AXIOM 7 RV - 7" MFD with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar with RV-100 transducer + NAG Charts $1,249.99
E70365-03-CSA AXIOM 7 RV - 7" MFD with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar with RV-100 transducer + CSA Charts $1,249.99
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 10:25   #13

Thanks George, I will check out what you posted. To answer your question, motor cruiser (stinkpot). The transom mount would be the least expensive. I understand there could be an issue with prop wash however...and of course, something else to keep clean from barnacles here in FL.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:15   #14

Thanks for the replies...and here is an update on what I am thinking and considering.

By main objective is Bottom mapping and fish finders

My vessel goes in for a bottom job next week and I got to thinking about what else I might want to do. Which led me to look at the 3D sonars…very cool, but looking closer, I am thinking that is not where I want to spend my money now. But I would like bottom mapping and a fish finder. So now I am leaning towards the low-end.

My favorites so far are two from Garmin. Striker 4 and Striker Vivid - using a transom mount transducer. No thru-hull installs. And I could use the display on two boats (53’ Navigator and 28’ Searay).

Does anyone have experience with either of these or similar?

I have a Garmin MFD on the Searay but I don’t think it is compatible (I need to check). Both vessels have Nema2000, but I don’t think these units use NEMA.

Striker 4. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...ucer--18561514

Striker Vivid. Probably the 7”. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/73...n/010-02552-00

I would consider upgrading the transducer to the GT22 for CHIRP traditional and CHIRP clearvu.

Another question is about the Sidevu, is that worth it? It expands the sonar cone, right? But in water 30’ or less, does that really matter?

And last question, what about the transom mounts? I’m in Florida, so barnacles are an issue, will I be creating a headache? And will prop wash on the Navigator make is unusable underway?

Thanks, Mark
Old 03-12-2020, 18:48   #15

Boat: Beneteau 323

Mark,
Start with the following:
- what kind of boat you got (Specifics)
- what is the primary use
- what is your budget
- what are your requirement/wishes

If you have a Garmin MFD, most likely you can just buy a transducer and add it to the boat. If you want fancy - you need to go transom or thruhull style. Look up your model and what connections / ports it has.

If you want basic, but functional and your boat is FG and not cored - just install an shoot-through (in-hull) transducer. You don't even need to pull the boat out for that. P79 will do the trick.

For shallow water fishing you want High CHIRP. It will give you the best results. Something like Airmar TM150.

Side view, 3D and all that other stuff is fun but is not required for fishing.

Raymarine Axiom+ or Axiom RV with 3D sonar is probably the best low cost 3D setup on the market at the moment. There are others, some are even cheaper, but are not nearly as cool in terms of what they show.

Finally - you are better off going to https://www.thehulltruth.com/ for all questions about fishing setups.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine