Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 12:25   #1

Boat: Corsair F-31
recommended Navigation software for tablet

I recently bought a Samsung a7 tablet to use as a navigation device in the Bahamas. My old Garmin still works great, but I can't update the charts.

votes for best navigation app would be appreciated. I've pretty much only used dedicated chartplotters.

Thanks

John
s/v TriToFly
Corsair F-31
Parttime Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 12:34   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: recommended Navigation software for tablet

I've got both "Aqua Maps" and Navionics and I like Aqua Maps better.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 12:52   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We use AquaMap, on Samsung tablets. I think I've read their Bahamas coverage includes Explorer Charts -- which I've read are usually recommended for that area.

-Chris
Old 26-09-2022, 12:56   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We run aquamaps on the Samsung tablet.
Especially in the Bahamas, but nice everywhere to have the back up chart showing a different perspective than the chart plotter.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 14:05   #5

Boat: Nauticat 43

We don't have the Samsung tablet. Rather, we have the Microsoft tablet 58OH4LV with Intel i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. In any case, we would recommend the Nobeltec TIMEZERO Navigator paired with something like the Bad Elf GPS dongle that we use. Weather can be downloaded in the software showing wind, waves, and currents, and routing can be planned. It comes with NOAA raster charts for the US. Otherwise, you have a choice of chart providers. We use Jeppesen C-MAP charts, so we intentionally differ from Navionics and Aqua Map on our phone and Garmin charts on our chartplotters.
Old 26-09-2022, 14:21   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
We use AquaMap, on Samsung tablets. I think I've read their Bahamas coverage includes Explorer Charts -- which I've read are usually recommended for that area.

-Chris
^^^ This. Navionics charts have issues in some areas of the Bahamas. Otherwise the Navionics app is fine. In the Bahamas we use Aquamaps/Explorer charts.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 04:35   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
We don't have the Samsung tablet. Rather, we have the Microsoft tablet 58OH4LV with Intel i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. In any case, we would recommend the Nobeltec TIMEZERO Navigator paired with something like the Bad Elf GPS dongle that we use. Weather can be downloaded in the software showing wind, waves, and currents, and routing can be planned. It comes with NOAA raster charts for the US. Otherwise, you have a choice of chart providers. We use Jeppesen C-MAP charts, so we intentionally differ from Navionics and Aqua Map on our phone and Garmin charts on our chartplotters.
Last I looked, TimeZero would run under Windows...

Or they have an app that works on iThings -- but which apparently doesn't allow much choice in charting, as one of the members here discovered.

Anyway, if that's still the case, TZ -- which we also use and really like -- isn't an option for a Samsung/Android tablet.

-Chris
Old 27-09-2022, 05:02   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Went through the same process a while ago, except from the iThing perspective. I would have gone with Aquamaps, but learned that you must maintain an active account to maintain the charts. If you let it lapse, your charts disapear. This was a red-line for me.

Instead I initially went with TZ (which I guess is not an option for you anyway). I liked the functionality, and loved the weather offerings, but once I paid my money I learned their promised chart coverage was sorely inadequate in my area (Newfoundland). Despite promises, TZ has not corrected the situation.

I finally settled on Navionics. It has been very good. Easy to use, and excellent chart coverage for my area. And if my subscription lapses, I still get to keep my downloaded charts (so too with TZ).
Old 27-09-2022, 05:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Went through the same process a while ago, except from the iThing perspective. I would have gone with Aquamaps, but learned that you must maintain an active account to maintain the charts. If you let it lapse, your charts disapear. This was a red-line for me.

Instead I initially went with TZ (which I guess is not an option for you anyway). I liked the functionality, and loved the weather offerings, but once I paid my money I learned their promised chart coverage was sorely inadequate in my area (Newfoundland). Despite promises, TZ has not corrected the situation.

I finally settled on Navionics. It has been very good. Easy to use, and excellent chart coverage for my area. And if my subscription lapses, I still get to keep my downloaded charts (so too with TZ).
Do you know what active account you need for AquaMaps? I've been using it for years and never heard of this!

For Navionics.. You NEED to keep the subscription going to have access to the charts and updates, or at least that is what I found on my version. That's why I stopped using Navionics. I let me subscription lapse and found I lost access to the charts.
Old 27-09-2022, 05:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Do you know what active account you need for AquaMaps? I've been using it for years and never heard of this!

For Navionics.. You NEED to keep the subscription going to have access to the charts and updates, or at least that is what I found on my version. That's why I stopped using Navionics. I let me subscription lapse and found I lost access to the charts.

I have the email confirmation from the Aqua owner. I asked this specifically because I couldn’t believe it either. I was disappointed when the person confirmed that an active subscription was needed, otherwise charts would be erased from your device.

Navionics does not require an active subscription to access the charts you’ve loaded on your device. None of the others do that I investigated, only Aqua.

All the others require an active subscription to download new charts, and to receive updates, and access other live services like weather.
Old 27-09-2022, 05:37   #11

Quote:
I have the email confirmation from the Aqua owner. I asked this specifically because I couldn’t believe it either. I was disappointed when the person confirmed that an active subscription was needed, otherwise charts would be erased from your device.

Navionics does not require an active subscription to access the charts you’ve loaded on your device. None of the others do that I investigated, only Aqua.

All the others require an active subscription to download new charts, and to receive updates, and access other live services like weather.
OK, a subscription makes sense (and its much less expensive than the others) but the subscription gives you access to the chart updates. and its about half the subscription price of Navionics!

The reality is with all of these charting apps, you don't own the charts, you subscribe to them.. renting. Its the model now. How else do you get access to ALL the Canadian charts for the year (Navionics) for just $35
Old 27-09-2022, 05:54   #12

recommended Navigation software for tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
OK, a subscription makes sense (and its much less expensive than the others) but the subscription gives you access to the chart updates. and its about half the subscription price of Navionics!

The reality is with all of these charting apps, you don't own the charts, you subscribe to them.. renting. Its the model now. How else do you get access to ALL the Canadian charts for the year (Navionics) for just $35

Yup, they’ve all moved to this subscription model. You have to have a subscription to access and download charts to your device. The subscription gives you access to chart updates, and other ancillary services like weather and tides data.

BUT, only Aquamap told me they require an active subscription to maintain the charts already downloaded on your device. I was sorely disappointed, and surprised, but I asked this question specifically to the owner, and this is what they confirmed.

I don’t mind paying for initial downloads and updates, but I don’t want my charts to disappear should I let the subscription lapse.
Old 27-09-2022, 06:09   #13

Quote:
Yup, they’ve all moved to this subscription model. You have to have a subscription to access and download charts to your device. The subscription gives you access to chart updates, and other ancillary services like weather and tides data.

BUT, only Aquamap told me they require an active subscription to maintain the charts already downloaded on your device. I was sorely disappointed, and surprised, but I asked this question specifically to the owner, and this is what they confirmed.

I don’t mind paying for initial downloads and updates, but I don’t want my charts to disappear should I let the subscription lapse.
Just means that Aqua Maps were honest about the situation. The subscription model applies to the others too ( same with dropping access to charts on Navionics.. Been there, done that!)

Try Being a Blue chart owner. I bought $200 worth of blue chart ipad apps and charts back in 2017 only to find out 30+ days later that they were abandoning the app and WOULD NOT provide a migration path for users who just purchased it! That's Garmin for you!
Old 27-09-2022, 07:39   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41

At least on Android, your Navionics charts do not disappear if your subscription is not renewed. You just cannot "update" the charts.

However, I've shown that so-called updated Navionics charts often do not contain CHS chart updates -- even 6+ months later. And these involve rocks!

FYI, O-charts also lets you keep charts if you do not renew subscription. And O-charts updates are the same as CHS chart updates.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 11:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
At least on Android, your Navionics charts do not disappear if your subscription is not renewed. You just cannot "update" the charts.

However, I've shown that so-called updated Navionics charts often do not contain CHS chart updates -- even 6+ months later. And these involve rocks!

FYI, O-charts also lets you keep charts if you do not renew subscription. And O-charts updates are the same as CHS chart updates.

Yes, this is how it happens on iThing as well. Navionics charts do not get erased from your device. Aqua owner told me theirs do once the subscription lapses.

It would be wonderful to see these companies committment to how quickly they roll out updates. It all comes down to money, I assume. CHS doesn’t give stuff out for free, so I assume the companies are making a financial decision about how often they buy updated data.

Tags
men, navigation, software