Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27   #1

Windows Tablet/PC Navigation Software

I purchased a rugged windows tablet with GPS to carry for a backup GPS as well as some basic email/computing needs. I have been searching through various software trying to find a reasonably priced but somewhat full featured navigation software for the GPS side of my equation. I have looked at Polar Navy, Rosepoint, MaxSea and maybe a couple of others.

Would love to hear from others what their experiences are with these and others as to what they use and why they like or dislike same. I have a power vessel in Southeast Florida and stick to down here and the Bahamas mostly.

Thanks,

Chris
christc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I used Rosepoint's Coastal Navigator for a two year cruise from San Francisco to Maine via Panama. I really liked the layout and features--the quilting of charts was great and the system always automatically picks the best chart. Also, the planning modes, cruising modes and many of the sub programs made estimating distance and time very easy. I have no connection with them other than being a happy customer. I really hate INavX for the IPAD--IMHO a real piece of junk by comparison. Cheap is its best quality, but I sure as heck would not use it for any serious cruising. Does not quilt charts, has the clunkiest interfaces imaginable for picking them, and has the most unintuitive interface for other functions of anything I have used--funny they should bring such a thing out for the IPAD--but it probably folks are happy if they do not go too far from home.

Ray
Velera
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I run Fugawi on a Windows XP machine, not sure if it would work on your tablet, but I think you can download a demo version to test.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Windows Tablet/PC Navigation Software

Try OpenCPN. It's free, and works well. I use that, or Expedition (very good, but not cheap).

You might find NavMonPc useful. It's also free, and is sort of a navsystem dashboard/logger. It's not a full-featured chartplotter replacement. See my signature at the bottom of this post for a link.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Windows Tablet/PC Navigation Software

We use MaxSea on our Windows laptop (and home computer; 2 licenses are included). Primarily chosen because it's the same software engine that runs our Furuno NN3D chartplotter, so compatibility (not perfect, but very good) and similarity of user interface (ditto) were drivers. So far, so good. New charts every year or so. Software version updates occasionally. And so forth.

-Chris

Tags
software, navigation, wind