Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 12:57   #31

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Please Fishing Boats

Well, technically, yes. By about 10 feet, as I mentioned.

A kite, sure, but if I'm 300 feet away from an anchored boat, as Chotu was, and I run into his kite... Too bad for the kite. 300 feet is plenty far from any anchored boat, in any direction, that I should feel confident of not hitting anything belonging to that boat. If they have something 300 feet away from them, then it's incumbent on them to advertise the hazard.

Now, get back in your walk-in closet!

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 11-02-2021, 13:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I don't want to discredit all this good advice, but it should be pointed out that much may trail from a boat at anchor. Though nothing would trail due to the vessel's propulsion, but any gear or debris subject to the current or any kites or floats subject to the wind could be found trailing behind an anchored boat.
Their gear was trailing. That's what the floats/balloons were. They anchor on Jeffries Ledge (roughly 30 feet of water) on an outgoing tide, which swing them over the edge of the cliff. Their gear is being suspended by the floats like a bobber and the outgoing tide is drifting that out and suspending their bait in 130+ feet of water.

The Tuna are coming from bellow to hit schools of fish and hitting the baited hooks.

It doesn't really matter how far from the boat you are. How far from the floats were you? Remember, their gear goes down from those floats. If they get a hit, the tuna will run, and their line may well run right under your keel.

A 600 lb Bluefin will put an amazing amount of tension on that line. All it needs to do is rub against a boat hull or running gear to get parted.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 15:34   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Their gear was trailing. That's what the floats/balloons were. They anchor on Jeffries Ledge (roughly 30 feet of water) on an outgoing tide, which swing them over the edge of the cliff. Their gear is being suspended by the floats like a bobber and the outgoing tide is drifting that out and suspending their bait in 130+ feet of water.

The Tuna are coming from bellow to hit schools of fish and hitting the baited hooks.

It doesn't really matter how far from the boat you are. How far from the floats were you? Remember, their gear goes down from those floats. If they get a hit, the tuna will run, and their line may well run right under your keel.

A 600 lb Bluefin will put an amazing amount of tension on that line. All it needs to do is rub against a boat hull or running gear to get parted.
Or just maybe it’ll jump in my cockpit as it struggles? Hmmmm. Seems I should have cut a little closer. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, this is a good explanation of the situation. Thanks.

Their floats ended half way between me and the boat.

Boat = 0

Floats = 150ft

My course = 300ft.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 17:42   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Private Fishing Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
Mate, there are no proper day signals (or lights) for sport fishermen. Those signals only apply to fishing vessels with apparatus restricting maneuverability (not trolling lines).

Anchor ball?
Old 11-02-2021, 23:17   #35

Boat: Catalina 42

Please, a little courtesy to others. If you were 'well offshore", then a CPA in which you could easily hear the other boat yelling is very unreasonable, IMHO. It's a big ocean. If you see a stationary vessel off your bow, then make a small course correction well in advance of needing to "change point of sail".

BTW, I've been on both sides of this fence, and no, we didn't drink while fishing, as that would just about guarantee not coming home with meat in the box. When the reels start screaming, you need to be on your A game.

An awful lot of effort goes into an offshore fishing trip, so unless you've done it, you have no idea what is involved. And yes, another boat that spooks the fish in your slick (chopped up bait fish that is tossed overboard on a regular basis to attract your target species) can be the difference between a successful day and coming home skunked. That slick extends well beyond the stern and can be disrupted by another boat passing through it..

Just treat others out there with the same respect you would expect. When offshore, try to pass a sport fisher off their bow, I can guarantee that it will be appreciated.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:22   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by neflier View Post
Please, a little courtesy to others. If you were 'well offshore", then a CPA in which you could easily hear the other boat yelling is very unreasonable, IMHO. It's a big ocean. If you see a stationary vessel off your bow, then make a small course correction well in advance of needing to "change point of sail".

BTW, I've been on both sides of this fence, and no, we didn't drink while fishing, as that would just about guarantee not coming home with meat in the box. When the reels start screaming, you need to be on your A game.

An awful lot of effort goes into an offshore fishing trip, so unless you've done it, you have no idea what is involved. And yes, another boat that spooks the fish in your slick (chopped up bait fish that is tossed overboard on a regular basis to attract your target species) can be the difference between a successful day and coming home skunked. That slick extends well beyond the stern and can be disrupted by another boat passing through it..

Just treat others out there with the same respect you would expect. When offshore, try to pass a sport fisher off their bow, I can guarantee that it will be appreciated.
If they put that much effort and thought into it, surely the additional effort to show an anchor ball isn't asking too much? Thing is, without an anchor ball, you can't assume they're anchored--they might be about to gun it to another location, and crossing the bows of stupid people who don't look before applying the throttle is also dangerous. Let them obey the rules, and only then recriminate when their cart is tipped.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:23   #37

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

In my mind, 360 feet is still pretty close, although not dangerous. For another boat of similar size to mine, given tons of open water, I'd plan for a 1/4 mile or better.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, fish, boat