Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 20:47   #1

Nobeltec VNS 10.7 Bug Report #308

While cruising the waters of British Columbia in May and June of this year I encountered a bug that I reported to Nobeltec. They assigned the subject number to it, but I have been unsuccessful in getting a reply to subsequent messages requesting recognition of this issue. Any of us can replicate this behavior while transiting waters with significant currents. Here is the issue as reported a second time after I learned how to replicate the fault:
"We have observed another situation where the TTG and ETA displays registered erroneous high values and finally displayed “never”. The common factor whenever we have seen this is high currents flowing against us. When we observed this behavior we were departing Campbell River, BC, with current against us rising from two knots to five knots. As the current increased our SOG diminished to 4.4 knots with “never” displayed for TTG & ETA. I suspect that the previous occurrences were also conditions of SOG being less than the current flow. It operates as if predicted current against the boat is being subtracted from SOG in the calculation of TTG & ETA. If so, this is an error because SOG is already corrected for current.
When transiting areas with no current TTG & ETA are properly displayed.

I hope that this is helpful.

This is clearly and error because we were in fact making way toward the destination that VNS 10.7 recognized.

Any other Forum participants experiencing this issue? Any Nobeltec staff able to provide clarification?
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nobeltec