Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2023, 05:52   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28
Navionics Price increase...$10 to $50?

We sometimes used the Navionics Mobile App to do some quick and dirty route planning with their autoroute feature just to get an idea of our options as far as time and distance, I think with a yearly subscription price of $10?...however it jumped to $49 which to me, is gonna make it difficult to renew our subscription..

Ouch..Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231027-083107_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	282676
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 06:10   #2

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender
Re: Navionics Price increase...$10 to $50?

There's another nasty change! Any charts or areas that you downloaded for off-line use are now only accessible if you have a current subscription.

This really puts me off ever subscribing to the money-grabbing Navionics again.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 08:23   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
There's another nasty change! Any charts or areas that you downloaded for off-line use are now only accessible if you have a current subscription.

This is partially true for me.

1. Just updated my Android Navionics, and all my charts previously purchased (my subscription ended in 2022) are all still there.

2. A new USA&Canada subscription, however, has really increased in price: now C$79+. NOT a good price!

I stopped using Navionics in 2022 because they do not keep up with official Canadian chart updates. (Some significant CHS chart updates are still missing from Navionics 12+ months later.) I can always check Navionics (and do) by either looking on the Navionics web-based chartviewer OR by using SASPLANET.

O-charts is much better.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 10:16   #4

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

1. Just updated my Android Navionics, and all my charts previously purchased (my subscription ended in 2022) are all still there.

2. A new USA&Canada subscription, however, has really increased in price: now C$79+. NOT a good price!

I stopped using Navionics in 2022 because they do not keep up with official Canadian chart updates. (Some significant CHS chart updates are still missing from Navionics 12+ months later.) I can always check Navionics (and do) by either looking on the Navionics web-based chartviewer OR by using SASPLANET.

O-charts is much better.
Lucky you. I cannot access any of the charts that I downloaded now that my subscription has expired
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 10:58   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Lucky you. I cannot access any of the charts that I downloaded now that my subscription has expired
If you have an older ipad or android that has an older version then 20 then navionics cannot block that. Also new you are limited ton2 devices now, having the older version they also don't count into 2 devices.
BUT if you wanna have new subscription they only work from version 20 means all ipads older the ipad 4 are not possible to update so cannot be used for navionics anymore.
Just 3 of my 6 tablets will turn into fotoframes in may 2024 when subscription expires....
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 11:22   #6

Hmm... renewed my subscription to "US and Canada Navionics+" on Oct 23rd for $24.99. And I just checked that my offline areas are still working. That's strange.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 15:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

O-charts is much better.
Just check what's your latest version because if you have an old device last version maybe 15 and there everything still works. I have 6 tablets, 3 old and can use them parallel and access my offline maps. The 3 newer I can only use 2
Old 03-11-2023, 07:22   #8

Quote:

Navionics is owned by Garmin.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 09:54   #9

Boat: Moody 376

its didn't jump from 10 to 50 last year I think it was 30.

The folks that built navionics made their money when they sold to garmin, Is Garmin trying to slowly cash in to recoup their investment or drive people away to a stand alone chart plotter? who knows.

For me I'll spend 50 bucks next year much better than a 1000 paper charts. I'll continue to use my ipad and iphone...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 10:11   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I've tried Navionics but I like iSail better. (for iPhone, iPad) I know it's missing the extra bells and whistles but are they really necessary?

or switch to INavX?

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...-apps-for-2020
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 11:23   #11

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I've tried Navionics but I like iSail better. (for iPhone, iPad) I know it's missing the extra bells and whistles but are they really necessary?
Which features would those be? My impression is that (apart from the routing) pretty much anything has more features than Navionics.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 15:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Which features would those be? My impression is that (apart from the routing) pretty much anything has more features than Navionics.
Problem is the map quality, apart from northern Europe (where you have several equal provider, reason is the official naval data is already very good) the rest of Europe no other provider has equal good chart quality.
I sailor with translation chart is quite ok and chart prices are cheap. Orca is promising but still has a long way to go to optimize the chart quality in some areas...some are good, some are bad but they are very responsive and getting things done. Orca works with radar integration which no other app has. I admit i am a bit biased here as I am orca betatester, so have a bit more insides...but we'll Orca core besides worldwide charts for one year for 450Euro and gave me the 10Hz GPS with fast ROT heading needed for doppler radar, the EV1 from raymarine otherwise needed costs a 1000Euro. So the 550 I saved just by that and have a full backup system to raymarine incl worldwide charts for free. No-brainer and user interface is top notch, so I use it more then plotter and navionics.

I will most likely keep Navionics for the plotter but won't renew the mobile subscription, maybe med but rest no.
Old 27-10-2023, 17:41   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Ouch! I'm out at that price. I've been trying to like navionics for a couple of years now. In theory it looks great. But I still haven't really succeeded. There's always some frustration. Now I can stop trying.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 18:45   #14

Boat: Columbia 50

I still get my charts, I just can’t use autorouting….and I think it’s been $40-$50 for a while. I bought it outright when it first came out - loved it, turned a bunch of people on to it. A few years later they started charging subscription model, and my ‘purchase’ evaporated……

It’s still very handy, particularly when used for planning, and ‘reasonable’ when you consider that updating your chart plotter charts is $100. It would be nice if your navionics sd-card subscription entitled you to both - it’s just a copy of the data you’ve already bought, after all….
Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 13:19   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
...it’s just a copy of the data you’ve already bought, after all….
Matt
This is becoming a big frustration for me, too. I added a second chartplotter at my helm and - surprise - Garmin wants me to pay full price for a copy of the SD card containing charts, if I want to use both at the same time.

Then there's my phone, and tablet. I already download the government charts to use with OpenCPN, but every other app wants me to download the same charts again and again. Some charge, some are free, but they all waste a lot of space, storing the same data over and over in different locations.

Some of this is Apple/Google's fault, requiring the apps to only access their own data locations. But things like my contact list and such are accessible by multiple apps. Charts should be the same way.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics, price