Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2007, 06:36   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Merlin II Navigation Computer

For whatever reason our little Sharp Pocket Computer programed with the Merlin II navigation program locked up and we have, unfortunately, lost the program. Although I have found a company in Austrailia that can reload the program, I was just wondering if anyone might know of a closer source. Several years ago we had a similar problem due to a battery failure and found a person in Seattle that reloaded the program for us but I have not been able to relocate that contact.

Any referrals will be appreciated.

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09   #2

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
That's a problem with the Sharp - programs are stored in battery-backed RAM instead of more modern FLASH memory.

Why not buy a cheap Palm Pilot and download a copy of CelestNav from Mobile Geographics? You can try it out, and if you like it, purchase a license key from them. I first used it several years ago, but I'm just starting to use it again to brush up my celestial navigation skills prior to taking off next year.

You could load up the Palm Pilot with other software, like TideTool, and use the standard PDA functions as well.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 15:58   #3

Thanks for your note. Frankly, I didn't expect anyone to ever respond.

I only asked about the Merlin as I've been using it for 20 years and am quite accustomed with its operation. I realize there are newer better devices but I have this one so I thought I'd give it a try to see if anyone might have a domestic US fix.

Cheers,

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-03-2008, 22:34   #4

Hi, Just noticed your post. Don't know if you still need the info. This address is about 7-8 years old. Back then it cost $25.

Monte Midkiff
RR #1 Box 1740
Lopez, WA 98261
360-468-2122

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Hi, Just noticed your post. Don't know if you still need the info. This address is about 7-8 years old. Back then it cost $25.

Monte Midkiff
RR #1 Box 1740
Lopez, WA 98261
360-468-2122

Marc
I have a question on entering sext. altitude. If you have a sextant reading of 30 deg, 41.6 min, how do you enter it?
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:56   #6

The entry would be 30.4160, i.e. degrees separated from minutes by a decimal point. Minutes are whole minutes and then tenths and hundredths.

For example, 30 deg 4.65 minutes would be entered 30.0465.

Frankly the extra precision really doesn't add a lot to the process. You're generally looking at one minute per mile and most people can't get a sextant reading from the deck of a small boat that's more reliable then one minute. With lots of practice maybe .5 minutes. For star sights with a good horizon and 3 stars about the best an experienced person can do is about 1000 yards of an actual position. Sometimes better but usually not. With good conditions I generally assume my circle of error is about a mile or so in radius which is usually close enough.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Old 17-05-2008, 07:16   #7

Merlin Wizzard to the Rescue!

Ocean Navigator has just published the name and address of the creator of the Merlin II navigation program--Mike Pepperday--who offers to reload the program into Sharp 1248 Pocket Computers.

Mr. Pepperday can be contacted at:

michael.pepperday(at)anu.edu.au

His mailing address is:

30A Donaldson Street
Braddon, ACT 2612
Australia

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte

Please Note Most Recent Information Below

On September 24, 2010, a message was received at the Cruisers Forum Help Desk from Mike Pepperday. He stated:
Quote:
I am wondering if you can amend an old post by s/v HyLyte to bring its contents up to date.

The address is no longer right and nor is the email though emails are still being rerouted. People find this old post with Google so if you could amend it, they'd get the right info.

I now live in Port Macquarie on the NSW mid north coast. I think it better not to put my postal address for I am not absolutely reliably at home so if you put my new email those interested in getting their Merlin reprogrammed can touch base with me before sending it.

My current email address is: mike :dot: pepperday :at: gmail :dot: com

Thanks
Mike P.
Old 17-05-2008, 14:00   #8

Boat: Trismus 37
I have one that was reloaded by Michael Pepperday, works fine.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation