Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 18:46   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Maine to NH cruise question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near2KR View Post
I’ve done the trip three times in each direction. You have the advantage of not having to deal with much of the current of the Piscataqua as little harbor is just inside the breakwater. But each trip for us was a relocation trip so time dependent, we motored 90% of the time every time. If you have a solid motor doing it in one day is no problem

Unsolicited opinion here, I live in Portsmouth and would rather sail in Casco bay any day. Have a fun trip regardless

Ha! Great username!!

There are only a very few sailors who know what 2KR is.

I learned to sail around 2KR and look forward to seeing it again this summer.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 20:05   #17

Is there a problem leaving at 5 or 6 am? Even if you average 4kts you still arrive well before 8pm and there is still decent visibility until about 9pm this time of the year.

I had a Mariner 28 (very similar to Sabre 28 in its specs) and Rockport to P-town (about 50nm) seldom took more then 10-11 hours, 12-13 at the most. On good days even 8 or 9hrs.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 06:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near2KR View Post
I’ve done the trip three times in each direction. You have the advantage of not having to deal with much of the current of the Piscataqua as little harbor is just inside the breakwater. But each trip for us was a relocation trip so time dependent, we motored 90% of the time every time. If you have a solid motor doing it in one day is no problem

Unsolicited opinion here, I live in Portsmouth and would rather sail in Casco bay any day. Have a fun trip regardless
Thanks! I agree, I love being in Casco Bay but wifey really wants to go back to Wentworth By the Sea. My diesel has never given me trouble so I'm pretty confident.
PeterMilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 07:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Is there a problem leaving at 5 or 6 am? Even if you average 4kts you still arrive well before 8pm and there is still decent visibility until about 9pm this time of the year.

I had a Mariner 28 (very similar to Sabre 28 in its specs) and Rockport to P-town (about 50nm) seldom took more then 10-11 hours, 12-13 at the most. On good days even 8 or 9hrs.
Yeah we decided to leave at 6. We can always tuck in somewhere for the night if we're not making progress but I really think we'll be fine. Thanks!
Wow, Rockport to P-Town in under 13 hours! That puts me at ease for sure.
Old 23-06-2019, 15:34   #20

So we made it. Some of the highlights: very windy. Not sure how windy but spume was being blown off whitecaps. Engine very rough running after a few hours so we had to put up sail. Topping lift came unclipped (??) so I had to keep the main up in WAY too much wind. Couldn’t roll in the genny more that 2/3rds (my fault, I wrapped the drum with enough line to roll it up but didn’t account for rolling it in when it was under load). Basically I had to have sail up because I had to make time into the harbor but it was way to nasty and I couldn’t reef the main because we didn’t have a topping lift to hold the boom up. End of story? We got there 1hour before it hailed and fog rolled in. 10 hours. My hull speed is 6.4 and we saw 8 on the speedo at times.

There is the update, here is the question: the westerbeke was revving and sputtering but not overheating. Fuel filter right? Well I bled the primary this morning and it ran clear for probably 5-10 seconds before diesel started running. I closed the drain valve and she runs like a champ. Granted, I didn’t have her under load but I had the throttle up all the way at times and ran her for 1/2 hour. I’m good right? Like I’ll learn how to replace the filter when we get back to Maine but I don’t want to mess with it because it requires bleeding air. Good?

Tags
cruise, maine