Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 09:11   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Cape May to Block Island advice needed

howdy
plan to leave this weekend, concerns me having to sail across the main shipping lanes going in and out of New York harbor.
Suggestions?
better to be as far offshore as possible?
Have Vesper and radar nevertheless seems challenging no to be run over by a cargo ship.
I have considered going into Long Island and use the inside route but even then will be stuck with having to cross those lanes coming from the south.
thanks
Old 22-06-2019, 11:16   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Cape May to Block Island advice needed

Nothing to worry about. You will see them 25 miles away on ais, and they’ll see you too. If CPA is less than a mile, hail them on 13.
Old 22-06-2019, 12:11   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thank you for taking the time
David
Old 22-06-2019, 12:50   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

It can be "crowded" relative to other trips where you're 50 miles offshore, but it's not crazy. The number of actual large ships in the lanes is not large. In fact most of the AIS shipping targets you encounter will likely be anchored.

However there are a a good number of large fishing boats that you'll need to keep an eye on, particularly as you get close to Long Island. Fortunately they all run AIS and are easily identified and tracked.
Old 22-06-2019, 14:23   #5

With AIS, it's pretty easy. I assume you have a AIS transponder not just a receiver.

First, as others have said it's not really crowded. You might have a half dozen ships to worry about in the whole trip and they all have AIS.

First, remember that when you are crossing a traffic separation lane like the ones off NYC, you have to stay out of the way of a vessel in the lane. It's not the normal COLREGS rule 15.

Monitor the CPA of all ships within 20 miles on the Vesper. It's easy to do. You'll see that most will be showing a CPA of 1NM or more. This isn't an accident, I've noticed that many ships will adjust course a degree or two at a long range to increase a CPA to 1NM. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a company regulation not just good seamanship.

Offshore I sometimes prefer a 2NM CPA especially at night. I'll then hail the ship on VHF to tell them that I'm changing course to port (or starboard) to increase the CPA. I only do this when I am at least 5 miles away so as not to confuse them if they were treating me as the stand-on vessel. They almost always answer since they can see my name right on their AIS.

I do this trip frequently. About half the time I go up the East River because the weather isn't looking good outside Long Island, there's no good deep water shelter for a sailboat from Sandy Hook to Block Island. It's can be a nasty piece of coast.

It doesn't take that much longer to go up Long Island sound and there are many fun stops along the way if you aren't in a hurry. It's easy in NY harbor to stay out of the traffic - although I do it in daylight. It's pretty special to sail past the Statue of Liberty and under the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you go inside, here's a good chart of the East River currents:

http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising...r-planning.php
Old 23-06-2019, 09:26   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
howdy
plan to leave this weekend, concerns me having to sail across the main shipping lanes going in and out of New York harbor.
Suggestions?
better to be as far offshore as possible?
Have Vesper and radar nevertheless seems challenging no to be run over by a cargo ship.
I have considered going into Long Island and use the inside route but even then will be stuck with having to cross those lanes coming from the south.
thanks

===

You've already received a lot of good advice: NY Harbor and Long Island Sound is a fun trip if you are not in a hurry; otherwise hoist a radar reflector and keep a close eye on your AIS targets and RADAR. There are ships out there but it is manageable with a little care. Don't turn on the autopilot and go to sleep however.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:44   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I have sailed in the areas you plan to go. Keep a good watch for shipping, but just pay attention and do not try to cross the path of a ship. The advice given so far I second. We were just at Block Island three weeks ago bringing new boat home to south shore of Long Island from Rhode Island. We had a lot of fog from Block Island to Bellport Bay. That may be a bigger concern. Lots of fishing traffic especially off Montauk.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:51   #8

Good advice above. Read up on ship lights, especially tugs pushing or towing barges. Barges may be a very long distance from the tug..... call them. also fishing trawlers may have nets, etc a considerable distance from the host vessel.... call them for best way to proceed. Avoid NYC harbor, East river on the weekend if you can. It may remind you of bumper cars at the amusement park or contests to see who can make the biggest waves occur. Wonderful anchorages in Long Island Sound. If Port Jefferson, keep look out for the ferry (assume that's still running) & don't try to pass in front of it......
Old 23-06-2019, 16:32   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423

Don’t rely exclusively on AIS. There are plenty of boats not transmitting AIS. When we see a radar target we check that we see it on AIS. Be sure you have some radar reflector. Many sailboats don’t create a very good target.
Closed Thread