Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 13:10   #796

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

I did take a quick comparison between two options

weather pic 27th 14:55 utc - basically either option now puts them in the slack air zone. Need to accept that, make it a useful day on the boat, and set up the positioning for later conditions. It does appear there is some wind in this pocket, its just flooky - might be able to "cloud-hop" it and keep some pressure - the euro and gfs details are different enough we have low confidence in the smaller features and should not chase them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	routes.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	203793

but short term the northern option ( Route 3 here) beats the southern option (which is now really an immediate 'due east' vmg oriented option) - on average boat speed by 2kts (and min wind speed by 3 kts - although that's a bit of a suspect statistic).

Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	203794

qualitatively the northern option does create more high wind risk but is probably better for positioning for end of voyage winds.

looking at their boat speed I'm thinking perhaps that course change was for some sailing handling (reefs), hopefully not a problem
Old 26-11-2019, 14:02   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But for tax reasons I need to avoid spending any extended time in the U.S.
Yea

Off topic alert ....

When I was young, I ran McKinsey’s Göteborg office for a while. I could tell some tax avoidance stories. If I remember the director in charge of all Scandinavia was reporting a total income of $30k lol - the partnership had it down to a very fine art.
Old 26-11-2019, 14:33   #798

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
I did take a quick comparison between two options

weather pic 27th 14:55 utc - basically either option now puts them in the slack air zone. Need to accept that, make it a useful day on the boat, and set up the positioning for later conditions. It does appear there is some wind in this pocket, its just flooky - might be able to "cloud-hop" it and keep some pressure - the euro and gfs details are different enough we have low confidence in the smaller features and should not chase them.

Attachment 203793

but short term the northern option ( Route 3 here) beats the southern option (which is now really an immediate 'due east' vmg oriented option) - on average boat speed by 2kts (and min wind speed by 3 kts - although that's a bit of a suspect statistic).

Attachment 203794

qualitatively the northern option does create more high wind risk but is probably better for positioning for end of voyage winds.

looking at their boat speed I'm thinking perhaps that course change was for some sailing handling (reefs), hopefully not a problem
Bravo, thanks.
Old 26-11-2019, 14:50   #799

Quote:
looking at their boat speed I'm thinking perhaps that course change was for some sailing handling (reefs)
Yes, I agree.
During the last hours, they have been heading SE, E, and then NNE. My guess is that they are "gybe-tacking" down wind, in order to maintain as good boat speed as possible.
Latest Facebook posting from Nikki Henderson explains the work routines of our sailing heroes quite well:
Quote:
Day 14

Another night has nearly passed. I’ve just come inside after furling away some headsail having seen the wind touch 30 knots a few times. The sky is wonderfully clear. If you look up it feels as if we are sailing in a dome whose ceiling is decorated entirely with glittering stars. We are doing well - averaged 10 knots right down the rhumb line in the last 4 hours.

Riley and I essentially run La Vagabonde two handed during the hours of darkness. Elayna, Svante and Greta get their rest so that they are able to take charge of life onboard - cooking, cleaning, babysitting and so on in the day - as well as giving us a hand on deck. It’s a good healthy balance. (Lenny isn’t quite big enough to join in but he provides much entertainment!!)

Riley and I rotate in solo shifts. For the first week or so when it was colder and we were acclimatising into shortened sleep cycles we rotated 2 on 2 off - now we have relaxed into a 3 hour watch cycle which allows for more sleep and also time to really get into the groove of the watch.

We move our sleeping quarters to the saloon berth for the night - so as not disturb anyone. Most importantly we can wake each other up if we need a hand. There are specific jobs onboard that are much easier quicker and safer with two - such as reefing, or rolling away a spinnaker. Naturally these always tend to reveal other issues - lines getting twisted, other niggly things needing sorting - so a 5 minute reef (reducing/increasing sail area) can easily turn into a 30 minute affair.

Night times can be the best times at sea. After a hot cup of coffee or other means to really wake up - in Riley’s case add in a few press-ups or squats to get his heart rate going - it’s down to business! Amongst watching the weather - the wind patterns - checking grib flies and adjusting sails and course accordingly - it’s a wonderfully peaceful part of the day for other pastimes: reading (I just finished Cilka’s Journey - a harrowing but brilliant read), writing, blogging home to you (!), exercising - or just sitting and having a good long think - star gazing - or staring and listening to the mesmerising waves and surf at the back of the boat.
Old 26-11-2019, 14:54   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
Latest Facebook posting from Nikki Henderson explains the work routines of our sailing heroes quite well:
...while Elayna informs about some of the challenges having an active 11 month old toddler on board
Quote:
⛵️�� 40°56’N 35°59’W. Ahhh finally he sleeps. Who’s idea was it to take an 11 month old across the North Atlantic hahaha. Lenny took his first steps days before we left and he hasn’t had the chance to try it again out here because of all the rocking. Instead, he has been climbing everything like a monkey and exploring every inch of the saloon. It’s day 14 and to be honest I’m kinda going crazy ������ my days involve following Lenny around to make sure he doesn’t fall over with a wave, and half of the cooking/cleaning. It’s exhausting, but there’s actually no where else I’d rather be. I’m just so thankful we have more crew onboard this time to help us sail, or I’d be a zombie right now. #sailinglavagabonde
Old 26-11-2019, 14:57   #801

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Yea

Off topic alert ....

When I was young, I ran McKinsey’s Göteborg office for a while. I could tell some tax avoidance stories. If I remember the director in charge of all Scandinavia was reporting a total income of $30k lol - the partnership had it down to a very fine art.

Ha, ha.

The world is a very different place now with BEPS and with hyperaggressive and hyperintrusive interaction by the Treasury Dept with foreign banks. As a U.S. citizen I can't even open a bank account -- I'm a leper in the eyes of European banks. Businesses don't get started simply because they can't get bank accounts open. It's crazy (and can't go on like this; something will have to give). Don't even get me started on the crap I endure for having a PEP (Politically Exposed Person; a former U.S. ambassador) as a business partner.

So we pay all of our taxes very loyally and very carefully, in whatever jurisdictions they are owed. But it's important not to raise any questions with regard to the foreign earned income exclusion, so no re-enacting the Mayflower voyage.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-11-2019, 14:59   #802

Did the LV people have a baby together? I'm so confused by this crew? Its Rylee, the pretty lady, Greta, her dad, a baby, and a pro weather router? What is going on?!
Old 26-11-2019, 15:07   #803

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Day 14

Another night has nearly passed. I’ve just come inside after furling away some headsail having seen the wind touch 30 knots a few times. The sky is wonderfully clear. If you look up it feels as if we are sailing in a dome whose ceiling is decorated entirely with glittering stars. We are doing well - averaged 10 knots right down the rhumb line in the last 4 hours.

Riley and I essentially run La Vagabonde two handed during the hours of darkness. Elayna, Svante and Greta get their rest so that they are able to take charge of life onboard - cooking, cleaning, babysitting and so on in the day - as well as giving us a hand on deck. It’s a good healthy balance. (Lenny isn’t quite big enough to join in but he provides much entertainment!!)

Riley and I rotate in solo shifts. For the first week or so when it was colder and we were acclimatising into shortened sleep cycles we rotated 2 on 2 off - now we have relaxed into a 3 hour watch cycle which allows for more sleep and also time to really get into the groove of the watch.

We move our sleeping quarters to the saloon berth for the night - so as not disturb anyone. Most importantly we can wake each other up if we need a hand. There are specific jobs onboard that are much easier quicker and safer with two - such as reefing, or rolling away a spinnaker. Naturally these always tend to reveal other issues - lines getting twisted, other niggly things needing sorting - so a 5 minute reef (reducing/increasing sail area) can easily turn into a 30 minute affair.

Night times can be the best times at sea. After a hot cup of coffee or other means to really wake up - in Riley’s case add in a few press-ups or squats to get his heart rate going - it’s down to business! Amongst watching the weather - the wind patterns - checking grib flies and adjusting sails and course accordingly - it’s a wonderfully peaceful part of the day for other pastimes: reading (I just finished Cilka’s Journey - a harrowing but brilliant read), writing, blogging home to you (!), exercising - or just sitting and having a good long think - star gazing - or staring and listening to the mesmerising waves and surf at the back of the boat.

Sounds much like passagemaking on my boat and makes me homesick for the ocean.

They have what, 3 watchkeepers on board? So many people on CF do such passages double handed, but in my opinion that is short handed, and greatly degrades the experience. I like to have at least 4 and better 5 watchkeepers on board, with the skipper in reserve except in bad weather, and with fluent doubling of watches when desirable, and everyone rested alert and ready at all times. And having a good time even if there are weather challenges.

But in any case, this is clearly a passage which is going well, a well-run, happy ship. Godspeed to them. I'm feeling a pang of regret for being on land at this moment.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-11-2019, 15:16   #804
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Did the LV people have a baby together? I'm so confused by this crew? Its Rylee, the pretty lady, Greta, her dad, a baby, and a pro weather router? What is going on?!
riley is believed to be the father,but how they found the time to have sex whilst sailing 90,000 miles in the last 5 years is beyond me.
Old 26-11-2019, 15:24   #805

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
riley is believed to be the father,but how they found the time to have sex whilst sailing 90,000 miles in the last 5 years is beyond me.
You think that's something, between June 3 and August 7 of this year their website reports 8169 miles - that's twice across the Atlantic and then some.

June 7 '17 - 31074
June 12 '18 - 51053
June 3 '19 - 80226
August 7 '19 - 88395
November 13 '19 - 90325
Today - 81395
Old 26-11-2019, 15:25   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Please enlighten us.

My google-** is usually pretty good, but I can't find any educational achievements or qualifications for her apart from having very recently graduated from Grade 9 - the end of "compulsory lower secondary education" in Sweden.

Her English is excellent having in mind it is not her first language.
Old 26-11-2019, 15:44   #807
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
You think that's something, between June 3 and August 7 of this year their website reports 8169 miles - that's twice across the Atlantic and then some.

June 7 '17 - 31074
June 12 '18 - 51053
June 3 '19 - 80226
August 7 '19 - 88395
November 13 '19 - 90325
Today - 81395
8169nm that is only st martin to miami and back, 4 times in 2 months .
funny the volg only shows them going one way,once in those months
Old 26-11-2019, 15:59   #808

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
just have to stay on rum line

I don't think they've got any rum on board.
Old 26-11-2019, 16:12   #809

Quit effin around atoll. What the heck!
Old 26-11-2019, 16:15   #810

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

And that's what she calls watch keeping at night?

I wonder what her night vision is like when she does her all round visual sweep
Closed Thread