Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 15:58   #136

Boat: Privilege 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
I'm told the new iPad 2 will have USB. Now on the current model you have to buy the adapter for $29. Here is an aftermarket 3 in 1 adapter for USB, SD card and micro SD card for the same price. 3-in-1 iPad Connection Kit: SD, microSD, and USB | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews
Just be careful if you read about the various ways you can use this accessory- a lot of the capabilities are out of date. Even though it was touted as "only" a camera connection kit, people found a lot of ingenious ways to use the USB port (one of the best, especially for photographers, was the ability to plug in a USB card reader if you were using a format other than the SD/microSD. Also popular was the ability to plug in a USB drive or memory stick). With reasons unknown, in late November along with the latest OS release, Apple changed the specifications of the USB connection. The USB port is now only 10 mA instead of the standard 100mA. This means that you can now only use powered USB devices and a standard card reader will now typically generate an error message stating "The device is drawing too much power." It's not known if Apple intends to "fix" this or leave it as is.
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 15:59   #137

If it were me I wouldn't be able to wait, besides your cockpit will look really cool with 2 ipads (current one and a new one). I'll be the first to buy the new one but will not sell the old one when I get it. I always thought it would be cool to make a glass cockpit for nav/entertainment with several iPads. When i bought my plane brand new i missed out on the glass cockpits by 2 years, now i want revenge and have a feeling I'll get it.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 16:00   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Just be careful if you read about the various ways you can use this accessory- a lot of the capabilities are out of date. Even though it was touted as "only" a camera connection kit, people found a lot of ingenious ways to use the USB port (one of the best, especially for photographers, was the ability to plug in a USB card reader if you were using a format other than the SD/microSD. Also popular was the ability to plug in a USB drive or memory stick). With reasons unknown, in late November along with the latest OS release, Apple changed the specifications of the USB connection. The USB port is now only 10 mA instead of the standard 100mA. This means that you can now only use powered USB devices and a standard card reader will now typically generate an error message stating "The device is drawing too much power." It's not known if Apple intends to "fix" this or leave it as is.
Thats not good! is there a hack available to go back to 100mw?
Old 26-12-2010, 16:07   #139

Maybe this feature trickle is an Apple marketing strategy to keep interest up and get people to buy the newest features. Leaving out a powered USB and two cameras is dumb.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 16:07   #140

Quote:
For the majority of people USB is only good for a camera connection, I have mine jail broken and use a USB desktop keyboard among other things through the USB port, if it's jail broken you have more freedom with what you can do with that USB port. I didn't even know about the power being lowered on the usb port, good stuff!
Old 26-12-2010, 16:59   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
For the majority of people USB is only good for a camera connection, I have mine jail broken and use a USB desktop keyboard among other things through the USB port, if it's jail broken you have more freedom with what you can do with that USB port. I didn't even know about the power being lowered on the usb port, good stuff!
Are you using the latest 4.2 OS? My understanding was that this issue was related to the new operating system release and had nothing to do with it being jailbroken or not.

There are a substantial number of people that believe this reduction in functionality was Apple wanting to "control" the Ipad experience. One of the ways to keep an Ipad running on limited memory and storage is to limit the numbers of devices and and drivers it will support. Apple would rather you not be able to connect a device at all than to be able to conect a device and then be dissaponted that the drivers don't exist or aren't up to the Apple standards. Once Apple learned that people were using the Ipad in a way that hadn't been thought of , or "approved", by Apple, the engineers shut it down. As of now, there are no known hacks, but the issue has only been out for the last month, so stay tuned....
Old 26-12-2010, 19:10   #142

Boat: Catfisher 28
If you have not bought an IPAD already you might be better looking at one of the Android based Tablets. Android is an Open Source operating system based on a Linux kernel. I think in a relatively short time you will find it dominating the mobile market. The devices and software will be much cheaper as they are not propriety like Apples IOS
scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:42   #143

Quote:
Are you using the latest 4.2 OS? My understanding was that this issue was related to the new operating system release and had nothing to do with it being jailbroken or not.

There are a substantial number of people that believe this reduction in functionality was Apple wanting to "control" the Ipad experience. One of the ways to keep an Ipad running on limited memory and storage is to limit the numbers of devices and and drivers it will support. Apple would rather you not be able to connect a device at all than to be able to conect a device and then be dissaponted that the drivers don't exist or aren't up to the Apple standards. Once Apple learned that people were using the Ipad in a way that hadn't been thought of , or "approved", by Apple, the engineers shut it down. As of now, there are no known hacks, but the issue has only been out for the last month, so stay tuned....
3.2.2 jail broken, if the power is turned down from the new ois 4.2 that will be an easy fix. I thought you meant they changed the internal hardware to lower it.
Old 26-12-2010, 20:26   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo
So Santa brought me an iPad... well sort of; he gave me a gift card from Apple. NOW the question bears: Wait until the iPad2 is out or pull the trigger now?

Anyone care to opine?
Wait!
Imoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 21:05   #145

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastu View Post
If you have not bought an IPAD already you might be better looking at one of the Android based Tablets. Android is an Open Source operating system based on a Linux kernel. I think in a relatively short time you will find it dominating the mobile market. The devices and software will be much cheaper as they are not propriety like Apples IOS
I have an android phone with many of the apps discussed for IPAD already running. I love it - very handy. Screen is small though.
Old 27-12-2010, 07:58   #146

Santa bought me an ipad - great and usefull gizmo! Have opted for the Navionics plotter programs - no sense to me in paying over the odds for inavx plus charts. Also the inavx looked complicated to set up in terms of needing a separate program to manage the maps?? Looked like they were just trying to milk customers - the base material for the maps is free from noaa after all. The Navionics program is easy to use and does all i would ask from it in terms of plotting and displaying a chart. I love the zoom and ability to scroll using fingertips, portability is really usefull too.

Does anyone know if its possible to put the us coastal pilot books on the ipad?
wkd928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 08:31   #147

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Download Coastal Pilot in PDF format from here. You may have to get a PDF reader.
NOAA Coast Pilot for your Boating Needs
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 09:30   #148

What I'm waiting for is on the navionics app that there is a speed indicator at the top of the map. That would be great!
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 09:56   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
Download Coastal Pilot in PDF format from here. You may have to get a PDF reader.
NOAA Coast Pilot for your Boating Needs

Why would you pay for it when you can get it free directly from NOAA?

United States Coast Pilot®
Old 27-12-2010, 11:11   #150

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
You can access this site using Safari and if you have downloaded iBooks these books can be added to your library from Safari. The good news is that everything is free.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad