Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 16:05   #1

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37
iNavX and Navionics mutually exclusive or can

they be used together? Its hard to know with all the marketing going on. I currently have iNavX and will do just day sailing in the San Juans. Any benefit to paying the annual fee for Navionics. I assume I can use their maps in the iNavX app. I like the ability in the Navionics to mark where you want to go and it will automatically find you the “best” route. Easy Peasy if it works.
Your thoughts please.
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 16:12   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: iNavX and Navionics mutually exclusive or can

I agree that it's hard to decipher sometimes.

Navionics is an app and a provider of charts. iNavX is an app that uses charts from other providers.

So, you can get Navionics charts in iNavX and use them there, with whatever functions iNavX provides. (I use it and like it, FWIW)

But the auto-routing you describe is Navionics functionality and AFAIK only available in their app. And if you don't maintain a subscription to their charts it will stop working.
Old 17-03-2021, 18:43   #3

I have iNavX on my iPhone/iPad as stand-alone backup to my chart plotter. I’m generally familiar with it, and have downloaded/used the applicable free NOAA raster charts. I chose iNavX because the reviews of the App are WAY better than Navionics and have a multitude more user reviews (Avg review of 4.7 for iNavX vs 3.2 for the Navionics app). I found that surprising as it seems like Navionics was/is the first iPad App everyone recommends. I’ve not used it heavily enough to know its features, nor been able to compare it to the Navionics App. Your question has made me wonder what other features one may have over the other. I’m curious other users experience with these apps - especially if we can find some users that have actually used both. Hopefully more folks will weigh in.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 19:17   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

I use Navionics app and charts. Another good thing about it is that one can use the same subscription on multiple devices, both Android and Apple, without duplicating costs. Does iNavX work the same way?
Old 17-03-2021, 19:57   #5

Boat: Contrast 33

I have used iNavX for several years, and am adding Navionics' Boating app this year for a couple of reasons.
1) the auto routing as you mentioned. I too sail in the San Juans, and there are so many routes around the 128 named islands to consider when setting out.
2) the $22 yearly subscription also includes all of the Canadian charts. That's a screaming deal. If you ever head across to the Gulf Islands, you'll want these.

I found it easy to transfer my saved routes and waypoints from iNavX to Navionics. And can even create a route in Navionics and transfer it back to iNavX. There are features of iNavX that Navionics doesn't have, so I think having both apps will be good.

Edit: As to your question if you can pay once and use the charts in both apps, sadly no. The Navionics app uses ENCs, whereas iNavX only uses RNCs.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 07:11   #6

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Your question has made me wonder what other features one may have over the other. I’m curious other users experience with these apps - especially if we can find some users that have actually used both. Hopefully more folks will weigh in.
I just download the app for Navionics that comes with a two week free map trial. It seems to be really nice. You should check it out and let me know how you feel about it. I think I’m all in.
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 09:00   #7

I have both apps on my ipad and use both regularly. I like the Navionics (Boating) app because it has a really simple layout and is extremely straightforward to use. iNavX is great in that (1) you can download free NOAA raster charts and use those (identical to the paper charts you used to be able to buy), or you can use Navionics charts and many other chart types if you want, (2) it's able to interface with your boat systems via NMEA, so you can get temp, wind speed, engine data, and dozens of other data included in the display and functionality, (3) AIS and weather overlays (I haven't bought these add-ons yet, so I can't comment on their functionality), and (4) it has a customizable display, so you can have it show 10 different gauges if you want, instead of just displaying speed and heading. The downside is that iNavX is not as intuitive to use. It does take some studying to do what you want to do, but the online tutorials are great and it isn't TOO difficult to figure out. My two cents.
DLincoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 09:14   #8

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I have been using Navionics charts via the iNavx app on iPads and iPhones for about 5 years. The charts are good depending on where you are. They are great in the PNW, ok to barely ok in the Sea of Cortez and pretty good in the South Pacific.

I have Navionics charts on one chartplotter and C-Map on the other. Both seem to be about the same but it is easier to deal with Navionics as a company.

I tried the Navionics IOS app and perhaps because I would need to learn new things at a time when I didn't have the time or energy to do so, I abandoned it in favour of iNavX.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7

Like many people i use both on my iPad. I find iNavX better when doing a long distance crossing. Its less cluttered in displaying GRIB data overlays, AIS info etc. I then switch to Navionics when i go into a bay and i want to look at mooring and anchorages, user reviews, etc.....
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 11:19   #10

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

I also use both concurrently as Mariners know it’s good seamanship to use multiple navigational resources. I’m also trying out Aquamaps as they have recent NOAA soundings data sets as an overlay. Anyone else using that?
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 11:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdemajo View Post
Like many people i use both on my iPad. I find iNavX better when doing a long distance crossing. Its less cluttered in displaying GRIB data overlays, AIS info etc. I then switch to Navionics when i go into a bay and i want to look at mooring and anchorages, user reviews, etc.....
Do you or others know if the user comments and other details show up when using the Navionics maps on iNavX? I’m not sure how they’re accessed on Navionics and whether this is a part of the map product, or only accessible via their app?
Old 18-03-2021, 11:48   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I use iNavex and AquaMap.

I can use Navionics charts on iNavex but vastly prefer other charts. CHS in Canada, American raster charts there, Explorer in the Bahamas, NV in Caribbean.

I have Navionics in my RM plotter but do NOT like it. I consider it primarily my radar display with backup charting.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
I use Navionics app and charts. Another good thing about it is that one can use the same subscription on multiple devices, both Android and Apple, without duplicating costs. Does iNavX work the same way?
The answer is...yes mostly and a little no.

If you get the iPad app ($5) and the Android App (free) most things you get will be shared. So if you subscribe to something like AIS Live, and buy most charts, they will be shared between different devices on different platforms.

The main exception to this is Navionics charts - they must be purchased per platform and even per device. This is a Navionics licensing issue, not an iNavX one. The technical ability to share the charts exists, but Navionics licensing does not permit it and requires separate purchases.

This has been discussed with them, and it's up to Navionics to change the licensing policy to fix this since the charts are their property.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 19:02   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNavX View Post
The answer is...yes mostly and a little no [. . .].

Thank you for the clarification!
Old 18-03-2021, 21:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Do you or others know if the user comments and other details show up when using the Navionics maps on iNavX? I’m not sure how they’re accessed on Navionics and whether this is a part of the map product, or only accessible via their app?
Just reposting this for anyone using Navionics maps on iNavX...

Tags
iNavX, navionics